Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whooping cough

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 164 Total Views

Before I ask my ? this is not a debate on vax,s so please no pushing views . Thanks for understanding.

There are two confirmed cases of whooping cough in my daughters school. One is in her classroom. A note was sent home friday. She has been vaxinated, its my understanding  this is a highly contagious dieases. Is she at risk of catching this still or not. I will call the pediatrian in the morning but wanted to know what others thought bc Im really worried about her.

by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
JJTaylor
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:48 PM

I believe for the most part your child should be safe, however, just with any vaccine you or your child can still be vulnerable depending on other outside factors. 

From what I know you are typically 90% plus "covered" (so to speak).  I do know that some of the factors when knowing how well your vaccine is still working has to do with things like: age, what kind of vaccine, if this particular virus is the one your child was vaccinated for; sometimes certain viruses have small variations that can still make you sick.  Also, this goes for older kids usually and adults; if you loose a ton of weight or gain a lot of weight after your vaccine your bodies ability to fight certain viruses can be diminished as well.  I know when I had my gastric bypass way back in October 1999, it was explained that due to me loosing so much weight some of my vaccines would not be as affective.  Not sure completely why this is? 

Also as adults sometimes those childhood vaccines will not be as effective as well; you might want to check into seeing how vulnerable your entire family might be.

robbins112324
by on Jan. 25, 2009 at 9:54 PM

it is contagious just like the common cold.  vaccines don't protect against whooping cough but its hard on little ones because the cough sounds horrible and causes the chest to hurt

Crystal0101
by on Jan. 26, 2009 at 8:16 AM

Thanks so much for the info. im going to call the doctor this morning.

nlmlillysmom
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:02 AM

I had a student with Whooping cough when I was pregnant.  I was vax when I was young but I could stil carry it. 

Your doc should be able to give you the low-down.  No kid is 100% protected, but I think yours is pretty safe.

Crystal0101
by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 10:43 PM

Feel so much better after talking with doctor on Monday. She thinks we are all great . her vax she got right at four years so she should be good. The doctor went ahead and called the cdc to make sure they have up to date guidelines and they do. She also called this morning to check on Laura to make sure she was doing ok. Its a wonderful thing to have a doctor who is truly caring and you can trust to do the right thing.

Crystal
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)