Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

An Old-fashioned Sit-down

Posted by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 297 Total Views

You may not realize it, but where you choose to eat dinner can have a profound impact on your dieting efforts. The worst spot of the house? In front of the television. “Mindlessly” eating while watching TV distracts the brain and disrupts appetite signaling, causing individuals to feel full later – hundreds of calories later, in fact. In two recent studies conducted at the University of Toronto and the University of Massachusetts, researchers found that those who ate dinner in front of the TV consumed about 300 more calories than those who ate their meal at the table. Assuming you eat 1-2 meals per day while watching the tube, that’s anywhere from 2,100 to 4,200 extra, avoidable calories per week! But the benefits of having an old-fashioned sit-down dinner don’t stop at saving calories: Gathering around the table at meal time also encourages important interaction between family members. Just think: When is the last time your entire family got together and talked about daily happenings. Chances are, if you’re not eating at the dinner table, it’s not happening! So if you’re not currently eating at the table, make a family policy change, and start today!

by on Nov. 6, 2008 at 11:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jylfkanney
by Member on Nov. 7, 2008 at 5:06 PM

AMEN!

Have a great day and be sure to let me know if I can help you on your road to fitness.  www.kanneyfitness.com

Jill

HisHotHousewife
by on Jul. 14, 2009 at 5:01 PM

I'm very anal about no television during mealtimes.  At dinnertime my husband likes to have some music on.

But I do let my kids watch t.v. during snacktime. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)