Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Proper Squats

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 272 Total Views

Starting Position

Begin this exercise by standing with your feet wider than shoulder width apart and your toes pointed forward.

Action

INHALE: Slowly lower your body and remember to bend slightly at your hips. Keep your weight back on your heels and your back as upright as possible. Make sure your knees don’t cross the plane of your toes.

EXHALE: Straighten legs and come up to the starting position to complete one rep.

Special Instructions

Do not go past 90 degrees at the bend in your knees because this causes additional stress on your joints. If you feel pain in your knees, just go down to where you don't feel pain and come back up. If you have difficulty performing this exercise you can also use a chair or wall to help with balance and the movement until you build sufficient strength.

Muscles Worked: Quads, Glutes

by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
nacherluver
by on Jan. 2, 2009 at 10:55 AM

This one is very important to me. I need to strengthen these muscles but tend to avoid due to bad knees. Thanks for the helpful post on proper method.

I went to a joint doc and it was explained to me that when you bend your knee, your knee cap should ride up and down a track in a vertical position. Mine do more of a curvy "S" shape. It's really kinda gross as I snap, crackle and pop my way thru exercises. A lot of my joints are this way. Shoulders, knees, elbows. They all work differently than most. Challenging, but exercise helps strengthen the muscles to help the weak joints.

Anyone who may have any medical experience or know what I'm talking about as far as exercising with bad joints, pleas feel free to give me any advice on how not to further destroy my joints by exercising in the wrong way.

Thanks!!!

njmommy2boys
by Group Admin on Jan. 2, 2009 at 11:06 AM

Nacher, I too have very bad knees.  I have arthritis, air pockets and fluid in both knees.  If done properly, squats can actually strengthen the knees.  I will post an article about the benefits of squats for knees.  I just came across it today

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)