Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Junk Food Junkie

Posted by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 1:49 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 272 Total Views

I am half Lebanese and half American.  The Lebanese have a wonderful nutrition mentality.  They eat what is fresh and in season.  There are not a lot of processed foods in the diet.  The whole Meditteranean area is touted for healthy eating.  However, as I said I am half American and unfortunately, I inherited my mother's taste for junk (as did my daughter).  Eventhough she cooked arabic food for supper, lunch was ALWAYS processed or fast food junk!  She still keeps chips and cookies in her house.  Something that my husband (Lebanese) does too, but he only nibbles a small amount AFTER a meal..not IN PLACE of one.  My habits are atrocious and I am a huge emotional eater...it seems with three small babes, there is always an emotional reason to eat!  Anywho...I have no will power, no stregth to make myself stop.  I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mountain Dew and would prefer to give up food instead of it.  I do try to limit myself to one a day.  I guess my point is...how do I change?????  When I was in college, I worked out religiously, I ate well (except my beloved MD) and I looked great!  How can I regain control of myself again??  I feel like I am living in a whirl wind of chaos, junk food, and stress. 

Emm Ali

by on Feb. 26, 2009 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
CoachJenn
by on Feb. 27, 2009 at 5:27 PM

Get a Handle on Emotional Eating

Ever been angry or upset one minute and then on your couch eating the next, unable to remember why you started eating or how long you had spent munching? If so, then you have entered the world of emotional eating. It's something than can happen to anyone, and one of the most common dieting obstacles out there.

Emotional eating at its best passes after a few minutes. At its worst, it can take over your life and cause you to eat uncontrollably for extended periods of time. And according to nutritional experts, 75% of overeating is caused by emotions. So don't worry, if you suffer from emotional eating, you are not alone.

People often eat to relieve stress or to get something off their minds. The kicker is that stress, and the insulin jump that goes with it, may actually cause you to crave high sugar, high carbohydrate foods - foods that go straight to your waistline and cause you even more stress.

Rather than munching, it's better to develop new skills for dealing with boredom, self-esteem issues and stress. Try to pinpoint the major reasons for your stress or unpleasant emotions, and see how you can turn the tide. Here are a few suggestions to combat your emotions:

• Get your trigger foods out of the house, get your crutch foods out of arms' reach
  • Go for a walk or jog. Physical activity relieves stress.
  • Do deep breathing and relaxation exercises
  • Keep a reminder of your goal handy
  • Talk to a friend
  • Visit and post on the support message boards
  • Surround yourself with positive reinforcers, like pictures and people
  • Keep a journal that includes your best personal accomplishments
  • Track your eating patterns, including when and why you pick up food.

If you still seem to come back to food when your emotions get the best of you, you can at least be prepared. Eating large amounts of snacks is not a good thing. But if you eat low calorie foods, it's not so bad. So stock the fridge with healthy alternatives--foods that have good nutritious value and are smaller in size. Here are a few food suggestions to keep within arms' reach:

• Apple or orange slices
  • Carrot sticks
  • Banana
  • Broccoli
  • Whole wheat toast
  • Bran muffin
  • Fruit smoothie
  • Applesauce
Coach Jenn
My Goal is to Help YOU reach YOURS!

Personal Fitness Coach - My Blog
Join the BeachBody Revolution!

averillholistix
by Group Owner on Feb. 28, 2009 at 7:31 PM

Wow! I think it's awesome you have that culture behind you to refer to.

How often do you cook a Lebanese meal?

And have you thought about completely making a vow not to buy cookies/processed foods? Could your family handle that?

I have an issue of not buying the cookies in the grocery store, but eating as a matter of convenience. I frequents MANY of our drive thrus, and I order as healthily as I can, but I think the main issue is at night.. I crave chocolate. I also drink lots of coffee, and that can't help my pH levels/heartrate.

I grew up in Oahu where everything was pretty healthy, but I don't have any more knowledge of how to cook Hawaiian than throwing a dead pig in a pit and roasting it.  I would love to explore my culture further and teach my children how to eat properly through the traditions.

Maybe we could have a thread where we take pictures of the various dishes we make to share our cultures? Would you be willing to share your native diet?

EmmAlesh
by on Mar. 5, 2009 at 1:30 PM

Again, I just saw this...I am such a slacker...sorry Mama!

We have Lebanese food everyday.  Lunch is our heavy meal and supper is usually something fast and easy since I am home with the kids alone.  Either hubby or I cook lunch depending on moods and schedules LOL. 

I think that is really cool that you are from Hawaii.  Imagine all the fresh fruits and veggies!  Do you ever consider going back?  Whenever we go to Lebanon, I always lose weight because soda, chips and candy are not kept in that house much.  Hubby would have a fit if we didn't have them hbere, though.  LOL  Anyway, even if we eat more there, we are walking places and eating on a SCHEDULE and snacks are fresh fruits. 

I would love to do a thread of cultures and foods!  Maybe we can inspire ourselves!     

Quoting averillholistix:

Wow! I think it's awesome you have that culture behind you to refer to.

How often do you cook a Lebanese meal?

And have you thought about completely making a vow not to buy cookies/processed foods? Could your family handle that?

I have an issue of not buying the cookies in the grocery store, but eating as a matter of convenience. I frequents MANY of our drive thrus, and I order as healthily as I can, but I think the main issue is at night.. I crave chocolate. I also drink lots of coffee, and that can't help my pH levels/heartrate.

I grew up in Oahu where everything was pretty healthy, but I don't have any more knowledge of how to cook Hawaiian than throwing a dead pig in a pit and roasting it.  I would love to explore my culture further and teach my children how to eat properly through the traditions.

Maybe we could have a thread where we take pictures of the various dishes we make to share our cultures? Would you be willing to share your native diet?

Emm Ali

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)