Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Getting Back in the Game

Posted by on Mar. 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM
  • 5 Replies
  • 217 Total Views

I have titled today's fitness focus as "getting back in the game" for personal reasons. In short, I suffer from fibromyalgia which is a chronic pain condition.
     I fought my butt off thru Jan. fitness challenge and kicked butt (partially my own as it was hard and painful). By the end of the month I had struggled and was determined February would be better since the exercises were changing. February was a major bomb as I continued to push myself too far and proceeded to put myself in a position where I could no longer do anything. At that pt. I had to admit failure to our fearless leader (love you averill! u r so good 2 me) and let my partner down (so sorry lovetoteach) and face some realities that were very depressing.
     After much chiropractic work, meds and rest, my body is feeling quite a bit better. After soul searching, reality facing and coming to terms, I realize I have to come clean here and admit to myself and everyone else that I suck at this Fitness thing. I cannot pretend I don't have a condition. Meaning, I cannot ignore it and do nothing in the exercise department, but I have to also face the fact that I am probably never going to be able to keep up with the majority of you ladies in this fine group!
     I am going to be spending some time researching the best way for me to get fit and stay fit. I posted an article below for anyone interested. I would like this post to be a prompt for any of you with any condition that may be holding you back from your desires to be in the best shape possible for you to step forward and share your story, your frustrations, your secrets. It will be therapeutic in many ways to get it all out there (whether it be something physical such as fibro to something emotional such as an eating disorder). We can be each other's support and understanding. We can research, post, give each other virtual shoulders and high fives where needed.
     In admitting my condition to all of you I have taken a burden off myself. I have felt ashamed that I can't keep up so I don't post as much as I could for fear of looking like a slacker. Now I have been honest with everyone including myself and I can work on what I can work on. Maybe I can get some of my fibro group friends to head on over and I can do some research and post in a special fibro health section! Maybe one of you has a situation you would like help with or would like to help others with.
     Anyone up for sharing? C'mon, I can't be the only one with dirt on my back :) Fess up, get back in the game and get active in your life! I'm waiting!!!!

p.s. sorry if this post seems all over the map or doesn't make a lot of sense. My fibro fog is lifting but I am still having some physical and mental hiccups from overexertion and lack of sleep :)

A little fibro education...

Definition  (from mayoclinic.com)

You hurt all over, and you frequently feel exhausted. Even after numerous tests, your doctor can't find anything specifically wrong with you. If this sounds familiar, you may have fibromyalgia.

Fibromyalgia is a chronic condition characterized by widespread pain in your muscles, ligaments and tendons, as well as fatigue and multiple tender points — places on your body where slight pressure causes pain.

Fibromyalgia occurs in about 2 percent of the population in the United States. Women are much more likely to develop the disorder than are men, and the risk of fibromyalgia increases with age. Fibromyalgia symptoms often begin after a physical or emotional trauma, but in many cases there appears to be no triggering event.

Symptoms

Signs and symptoms of fibromyalgia can vary, depending on the weather, stress, physical activity or even the time of day.

Widespread pain and tender points
The pain associated with fibromyalgia is described as a constant dull ache, typically arising from muscles. To be considered widespread, the pain must occur on both sides of your body and above and below your waist.

Fibromyalgia is characterized by additional pain when firm pressure is applied to specific areas of your body, called tender points. Tender point locations include:

• Back of the head
  • Between shoulder blades
  • Top of shoulders
  • Front sides of neck
  • Upper chest
  • Outer elbows
  • Upper hips
  • Sides of hips
  • Inner knees

Fatigue and sleep disturbances
People with fibromyalgia often awaken tired, even though they seem to get plenty of sleep. Experts believe that these people rarely reach the deep restorative stage of sleep. Sleep disorders that have been linked to fibromyalgia include restless legs syndrome and sleep apnea.

Co-existing conditions
Many people who have fibromyalgia also may have:

• Chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Depression
  • Endometriosis
  • Headaches
  • Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
  • Lupus
  • Osteoarthritis
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder
  • Restless legs syndrome
  • Rheumatoid arthritis

Causes

Doctors don't know what causes fibromyalgia, but it most likely involves a variety of factors working together. These may include:

• Genetics. Because fibromyalgia tends to run in families, there may be certain genetic mutations that may make you more susceptible to developing the disorder.
  • Infections. Some illnesses appear to trigger or aggravate fibromyalgia.
  • Physical or emotional trauma. Post-traumatic stress disorder has been linked to fibromyalgia.

Why does it hurt?
Current thinking centers around a theory called central sensitization. This theory states that people with fibromyalgia have a lower threshold for pain because of increased sensitivity in the brain to pain signals.

Researchers believe repeated nerve stimulation causes the brains of people with fibromyalgia to change. This change involves an abnormal increase in levels of certain chemicals in the brain that signal pain (neurotransmitters). In addition, the brain's pain receptors seem to develop a sort of memory of the pain and become more sensitive, meaning they can overreact to pain signals.

Hopeful article I found on fibro & exercise

Fibromyalgia and Exercise

What is fibromyalgia?

Fibromyalgia is a disorder that causes pain in your muscles and joints. It may also cause headaches, muscle stiffness, body aches and can disrupt your sleep. Stress or lack of sleep can make the symptoms of fibromyalgia worse. More women than men have fibromyalgia, and the disorder is common--it is seen in up to 5% of the population. However, it isn't life-threatening and it doesn't cause permanent damage.

If I have fibromyalgia, what can I do to help myself feel better?

The treatment for fibromyalgia is usually a combination of medicine to ease pain and self-care. One of the best things you can do if you have fibromyalgia is exercise. Begin with stretching exercises and gentle, low-impact activity, such as walking, swimming or bicycling. Start your exercise program slowly because at the beginning, exercise may make your pain worse. Some muscle soreness is normal when you're starting to exercise, but sharp pain may be a sign that you have overworked or injured your muscles.

As you progress with exercise, it will become more comfortable for you. For exercise to help, you must do it regularly. The goal is to get started and keep going, to gain relief from pain and to improve sleep. Below are some exercises you might want to try:

Walking: Start slowly by walking 5 minutes the first day. The next day, add a minute to this total. Keep adding 1 or 2 minutes a day until you are walking 60 minutes a day. When you reach this point, walk for at least 1 hour, 3 or 4 times a week. If you find yourself struggling as you're working your way up to walking for 60 minutes, go back to a length of time that was comfortable for you, and continue walking for this period of time for several days. Then continue to increase the minutes again until you reach the goal of 60 minutes. Try as many times as you need to reach the goal of walking for 60 minutes.

Walking/jogging: After you feel comfortable walking 3 or 4 times a week, you can alternate walking with slow jogging. Walk 2 blocks, then jog 1 block, walk 2 blocks, jog 1 block, and so on. Do this as often as it feels comfortable. Extend your exercise for longer periods if you feel comfortable.

Bicycling: Stationary bicycles (exercise bikes) offer the benefit of exercising indoors. Keep track of your mileage, or set a goal of bicycling for 60 minutes.

Swimming: Swimming is a great source of exercise that is very gentle on your joints. Try treading water for 1 to 2 minutes at a time, or swimming several laps. Try to work up to swimming laps for 30 total minutes.

The type of exercise you choose is up to you. It's important that you start exercising and keep doing it. Exercise relieves much of the pain fibromyalgia causes. Some people even find that exercise makes all their pain go away. You will also feel better if you have some control over your own care and well-being.
by on Mar. 13, 2009 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
nacherluver
by on Mar. 17, 2009 at 4:43 PM

Hmmm.... okay. Guess I'm the only one with struggles :)

sacdp29
by on Mar. 18, 2009 at 8:04 AM

I've tried exercise in the past and for me it caused me more pain.  I go to physical therapy but he only does deep tissue massages, dry needling (acupuncture), etc.   I probably need to do something but even walking causes me pain.  I also have fibro, OA, RLS.   Sorry I'm just now responding, my computer was being fixed.

Have a good day.

nacherluver
by on Mar. 18, 2009 at 12:46 PM

Quoting sacdp29:

I've tried exercise in the past and for me it caused me more pain.  I go to physical therapy but he only does deep tissue massages, dry needling (acupuncture), etc.   I probably need to do something but even walking causes me pain.  I also have fibro, OA, RLS.   Sorry I'm just now responding, my computer was being fixed.

Have a good day.

Thank you for responding! :) I'm sorry you are suffering with your conditions. Fibro is tricky when it comes to exercise. It really can help but you have to be careful of that fine line between doing good and doing too much exercise. That line tends to change depending on your flare-ups etc... so it helps to be really tuned into your body. Starting small may mean anything from walking a mile every other day to simply spending two minutes on a treadmill. Baby steps.

artC1s
by on Mar. 19, 2009 at 7:03 PM

No, you are not alone. I've written a few posts about my lapses, and my small success but I've never owned up to having a condition. I will be undergoing some treatments and am blessed enough to have some experts to guide me through establishing and accomplishing some level of fitness despite my fatigue, and other issues.

Hang in there, we do what we can do as long as we attempt to do our best whose to judge?

Be well, and keep up the good work!

averillholistix
by Group Owner on Mar. 19, 2009 at 7:27 PM

Oh!!!! NO! I had this window all ready to respond and life happened. I wanted so much to thank you for being real about your situation. It takes a really aware person to do so.  I sincerely hope with your fibro that you get the help you need and the information is out there for other mommies who are struggling with these same issues.

Again, Thank You, Nacher!!! for being so up front about your situation. Maybe a mommy will read this and say "Wow, I thought all this time I was the only one."

Is it just me, or is the format (multiple forums) for this group a little seperatist now? I think I want to take a poll and see if others are feeling the same way.  I value everything you have to say, yet I don't always find it right off. 

Are things well lately with your fibro? I know it can be a seasonal disease too, with the barometer changing etc.  It's just starting to be spring here.... how is it where you are?

Quoting nacherluver:

Hmmm.... okay. Guess I'm the only one with struggles :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)