Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Jacob's Ladder"??

Posted by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 395 Total Views

Maybe by reading this, it will help some of you understand what happened. It has for me, as i can see that this movie called "Jacob's Ladder"...is pretty much the same as LOST, in most ways..Not all ways, Especially, the flashes of different times in his life......

Honestly...I think if they just showed the "Pilot", and "The End", that's all we would have needed. All the other seasons were just showing him in Purgatory. This, to me, is Jack's story of being DEAD!, and not being able to let go and move on to heaven....I think the rest of the series is just ABC and Bad Robot making money, like all companies do!.........

I have inserted the PLOT around the movie..."Jacob's Ladder".....Below

WHAT DO YOU THINK?..........

Jacob Singer is a U.S. soldier deployed in the Mekong Delta during the Vietnam War. When the story begins, helicopters are passing overhead, carrying supplies for what seems to be preparations for a big Viet Cong offensive. Without any warning, Jacob's unit comes under fire. The soldiers try to take cover but begin to exhibit strange behavior for no apparent reason. Jacob attempts to escape the unexplained insanity, only to be bayonetted by an unseen enemy.

The film then shifts back and forth from Vietnam to Jacob's memories (and hallucinations) of his son Gabe and former wife Sarah, and to his present (set in 1975 Brooklyn) relationship with a woman named Jezebel in New York City. During this latter period, Jacob faces several threats to his life and has severe hallucinatory experiences. It is subsequently revealed that his son Gabe was hit by a car and killed before Jacob went to Vietnam. At a key moment, Jacob's friend, chiropractor and guardian angel Louis, cites the 14th century Christian mystic Meister Eckhart—"Eckhart saw Hell too; he said: 'the only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of life, your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you,' he said. 'They're freeing your soul. So, if you're frightened of dying and... you're holding on, you'll see devils tearing your life away. But if you've made your peace, then the devils are really angels, freeing you from the earth.'"

As the hallucinations become increasingly bizarre, Jacob learns about chemical experiments performed on U.S. soldiers in Vietnam. One of his old army buddies is killed in a car ignition explosion. At the funeral, his surviving platoon-mates confess to Jacob they too have been seeing horrible hallucinations. Jacob is then approached by a man named Michael Newman, who claims to have been a chemist working with the Army's chemical warfare division in Saigon where he worked on creating a drug that would increase aggression in soldiers. Tests of the drug (code-named "The Ladder" in reference to how it takes people straight to their primal urges) were first performed on monkeys and then on a group of enemy POWs with gruesome results. Later, small doses of "The Ladder" were secretly given to Jacob's fellow soldiers via their C-rations. Instead of targeting the enemy, however, the men in Jacob's unit attacked each other indiscriminately. This revelation insinuates that Jacob was stabbed by one of his fellow soldiers.

At the denouement (The conclusion), we learn that Jacob never made it out of Vietnam; his body is shown in an army triage tent just as he expires. Apparently, the entire series of events turns out to have been a dying hallucination. Jacob's experiences appear to have been a form of purgation in which he releases himself from his earthly attachments, finally joining his dead son Gabe to ascend a staircase (Biblically known as Jacob's Ladder) toward a bright light. 

"I didn't attend the funeral, but I sent a nice letter saying I approved of it"

by on May. 24, 2010 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
jdmgirl
by Member on May. 24, 2010 at 8:02 PM

OMG! I have to go and get that movie now. When was it made? Great Post on this. Yep, ABC did have to make some money on the series. But, it was good. And It will be my favorite forever. Still can not stop thinking of last nights finale. I am going to check out that movie. Thank you so, so much. Talk to you real soon.

Mitzi

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)