Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So lost..what do i do now?

Posted by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM
  • 2 Replies
  • 162 Total Views

Hi... I'm new and so glad to find this. My son is 3  years and  2 months now. He was on the right track with every thing except speech until he was 18 months old.   He started coloring on the walls and everything i tried to make him stop didn't work. Every day on the same wall. Still to this day a year and half later he'll forget and do it. But when you look in to his eyes and repeat no for the 1000th time I could tell it was like the first time. He got kicked out of day cares for biting and taking his clothes off, He never did that at home. The flags go on and on.... We reached out to eci to get speech. My husband i and felt like it was something more but no one around us ever let on that they thought so.. but we were starting to think something must be up. A year of speech and nothing but elmo and ball. Then the three year mark and they get turned over to the school. But right before he graduated we asked our eci worker about getting him evaluated. They made us think that it would be best to wait until the school had some time with him. I feel like they never looked at him. His teacher was great. She took so much time to get to know him.  She sat me down one day and asked if I know anything about autism. Finally someone Else that saw what we could see... But nothing has changed. They told me not to get him diagnosed because of the ramifactions of that being with him permanently.  It seamed to make sense but that was two months ago and i feel like he's not getting any better and I know that time is important The younger the better. We are dealing with foot fetishes and communicating with pictures cards that I made . I feel like I'm doing the wrong thing by doing nothing but I don't know what to do. Everyone That I look to for answers won't answer them or they tell me to wait... I'm tired of waiting..nothing is changing.. Some one please tell me what to do

by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 1:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
MamaOfB
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 2:13 PM
Wow it sounds like you're in a really tight spot.  I would say to REALLY trust your mama-gut.  You know your kiddo better than anyone else.  If the preschool and state won't help you, try finding a developmental ped in your area.
Mom_2_Boyz
by on Jun. 14, 2007 at 11:52 PM
I agree with MamaofB-  You really need to get him diagnosed.  I have an older child that has mulitple congenital anomalies, but no genetic diagnosis yet.  It has been a little tenuous as he gets closer to 7 because they can no longer qualify for services with just "developmental delay" alone.  So, we are pushing for a diagnosis with both our boys- our middle son is the one who I am having evaluated for autism.  I just want to ensure that my boys have services for as long as they need them and that sadly means that sometimes they are labeled with a diagnosis that follows them for life. 

The whole concept and perception on autism is changing!  Kids are being diagnosed, treated and then growing up into fully functioning adults!  I say get them diagnosed so they can get the services they need and have the best chance they can get at a "normal" adult life!  I think in 20 or even 10 years autism will have changed to a far less "limiting"  and stigmatizing label as kids are gettin earlier treatment and becoming full functioning adults.  You have to be your son's advocate.  It sounds like no one else is going to stand up for him.  You might have to flat out tell his teacher you don't care about the label, you just want him diagnosed so you can get him the help he needs- and then be persistent about making it happen!  It's sad that as parents we have to tell people how to do their jobs and then follow up to make sure they actually do!  Trust me, I had to do that with the genetics department at the University Hospital in our area!  Sad, but true.  We have to be our kids advocates.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)