Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Tina & Phillip's Arraignment Hearing...NOT Guilty!?

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2008 at 12:19 PM
  • 63 Replies
  • 3005 Total Views
Tina Richards & Phillip Waller will be arraigned for the child abuse charges to Aiden in January, on Wednesday, April 9th at 9 AM. It will be at the Effingham County Courthouse, and will be open to the public.

An Effingham County couple charged with abusing their infant son Aiden Waller, were in court together for the first time. Today they each maintained their innocence.

Sheriff's deputies arrested Tina Richards and Phillip Waller back in January after investigators said Richards tied baby Aiden's onesie to a sheet and beat him. Police say Waller knew about the abuse and didn't report it.

Today was their superior court arraignment, it's the part of the court process when the accused plead guilty or not guilty. Around 9:30 this morning, Richards and Waller entered the courtroom. They were handcuffed and shackled.

This was the first time Richards and Waller have been in the same room together since there were arrested. They did not look at each other at all. The attorney's representing them told the judge Richards and Waller were pleading "not guilty".

The arraignment lasted about two minutes. Deputies took Waller back to jail and Richards back to prison in Atlanta. Richards is serving a 21-year sentence for abusing baby Aiden the first time last July. They'll be back in court May 13 for a plea hearing. That's a hearing when the district attorney can present them with a plea offer or the parties could decide to go ahead with a trial by jury.

Two weeks ago the judge ruled that Aiden Waller and his newborn brother will remain in the state's care while the Department of Family and Children Services decided the best place for them to live. His grandparents on his mother's side want custody. It could take up to a year for the court to decide where the baby brothers will go.

News Clip: http://www.wtoc.com/global/video/popup/pop_player.asp?ClipID1=2372470&h1=Baby%20Aiden%27s%20Parents%20in%20Court%20Together%20Facing%20Child%20Abuse%20Charges&vt1=v&at1=News&d1=125266&LaunchPageAdTag=News&activePane=info&playerVersion=1&hostPageUrl=http%3A//www.wtoc.com/global/story.asp%3Fs%3D8143367&rnd=71891868
by on Apr. 7, 2008 at 12:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SYSTERANGEL2
by Member on Apr. 7, 2008 at 12:35 PM
Are you or April going to be able to go to the Trial if its open to the public?  Keep us updated please.  Thanks
ALiLBabyPHAT18
by Group Owner on Apr. 7, 2008 at 1:14 PM
We are both going to try our damnedest...I have to make arrangments for someone to watch my son (they don't allow children in the courtroom), and also, my car is still being repaired, so I'm trying to find a ride...I am going to tell my Daddy (he has a doctor's appoinment at 10 AM that day) and see if we can work something out! I will let ya'll know definately either tonight or sometime tomarrow at the latest...

april2208
by Member on Apr. 7, 2008 at 5:07 PM
Just heard from the news crew that the hearing is scheduled for 9 am but could be heard later than that....but it IS OPEN to the public...the only closed heaings are the custody hearings that involve Aiden and his brother.
ALiLBabyPHAT18
by Group Owner on Apr. 8, 2008 at 12:53 PM
An arraignment is just a hearing to where the defendants plead guilty or not guilty...since I am having a difficult time finding a babysitter and a ride, I have decided to not attend the hearing, because since it is open to the public, the news will report the outcome anyways...so, I will just watch it on the 12 pm or 6 pm news (WTOC.com) on Wednesday, and let everyone know how it turns out! But, I can almost promise you that we will be at their trial...I'll keep everyone posted on further details/info. of when that will be! (How much do ya'll wanna bet that she will plead "guilty" with insanity or mental illness?)

SYSTERANGEL2
by Member on Apr. 8, 2008 at 5:45 PM
She problably will becasue she'd try and get out of more jail time that way.  Although if its the same judge as before he will dismiss the mental defect claim because it wasn't brought up the first time.
NUT31326
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2008 at 6:36 PM
girl you know I just live up the road from you and if I have to watch Chase and come get you my self I want to know first hand what happens in that courtroom I will not be able to attend as I have my daughter and the little boy that I babysit durring the week
Trish mom of 2 beautiful angels.
april2208
by Member on Apr. 8, 2008 at 9:00 PM
I wanted to go but am going to be unable to get away from work (both financially and physically).....so I will hear first hand from Michelle Paynter the plea outcomes....Ill keep you guys posted...I plan without a doubt being there for the trial....I would love to be there tomorrow but I'd miss alot of work for a guilty or not guilty plea...and that hurts my pockets =[...Im sure all of you understand. Thanks again.....
Sk8trMusicMoma
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2008 at 11:26 PM
 I hope everyone prays hard tonight that they Judge doesn't let her pull that insanity bull crap, it's such a cop out/
april2208
by Member on Apr. 9, 2008 at 8:42 AM
I dont think its going to fly guys....from what I hear they have the same judge...he's not hearing any of the excuses.....Il keep you informed asI know.
KierstynsMom
by on Apr. 9, 2008 at 9:08 AM
So are they getting sentenced today? or just saying guilty or not guilty sorry.. i'm kinda of confused!
Quoting april2208:

I dont think its going to fly guys....from what I hear they have the same judge...he's not hearing any of the excuses.....Il keep you informed asI know.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)