Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just started Potty training!!! Advice??? (PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 4, 2008 at 3:15 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 227 Total Views
Hi I have a 20 month old and I just started potty training him. The problem that I am having is he is fighting me on sitting at the potty. He sits when he wants to sit. He has started screaming (which I also need help with!!!) and I mean he is just fighting me. I want to start the 3 day method but with all of this resistance I am not sure how that will go. Please any advice?
Also he is in a routine of getting up in the morning and eating breakfast before anything else. He throws a fit because he doesn't get to do that first. Yes I know that I am bigger than him. And with my other kids it wouldn't bother me to have made them sit there anyway. But I am being told that potty training now a days is not suppossed to be done in a mean and harsh way. So I need help!!!!

Click On Me!! You Know You Want To!!!

Create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

www.thewhycircle.com/bethlord  My work from home sign up site.

http://www.cafemom.com/group/39147 Join My New Group!!!!!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chatroomsandourchildren This is my yahoo group. It's to help keep parents aware of what your kids are doing on the net. Like posting nude pics of themselves and many other things. I just want parents to start asking "what are you doing?"  "What are you lookign up?" Things like that.

by on Jun. 4, 2008 at 3:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
JAKESMOM103
by on Jun. 4, 2008 at 3:34 PM
skywatcher1973 - This is going back to the old school, but the child has to be ready......... If he isn't ready, you both will have a hard time. My mom had a day care (in her home) all my life. If you start talking about him being a big boy and they use the big boy potty. This will sometime take a while. If it doesn't work try it another time. Start again the next week.  A trick we did with my son, is let him stand on a stool (the ones for kids) and put a fruit loop in the potty and ask if he can hit it. (yes, you will have to help him aim for it, but it gets him motavated to catch that fruit loop) This is just an idea.......
On the other hand he might be a late bloomer......... This was my son, he was just not going to do it when I thought he "should" be ready........ I played it off and just talked about being a big boy for a while and started again.
Hope time will help in some way!!!!
ALiLBabyPHAT18
by Group Owner on Jun. 4, 2008 at 9:52 PM

Quote:

skywatcher1973 - This is going back to the old school, but the child has to be ready......... If he isn't ready, you both will have a hard time. My mom had a day care (in her home) all my life. If you start talking about him being a big boy and they use the big boy potty. This will sometime take a while. If it doesn't work try it another time. Start again the next week.  A trick we did with my son, is let him stand on a stool (the ones for kids) and put a fruit loop in the potty and ask if he can hit it. (yes, you will have to help him aim for it, but it gets him motavated to catch that fruit loop) This is just an idea.......
On the other hand he might be a late bloomer......... This was my son, he was just not going to do it when I thought he "should" be ready........ I played it off and just talked about being a big boy for a while and started again.
Hope time will help in some way!!!!
Well said! If the child is not ready, don't force him. Read the 3-day potty training method again. It even says, if the child isn't ready, then wait 30 days, and try again! Hope this helps! Good luck, hun!
skywatcher1973
by on Jun. 5, 2008 at 10:31 AM
We just started trying to have him butt naked!! He seems to be ok with that so far.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/chatroomsandourchildren This is my yahoo group. It's to help keep parents aware of what your kids are doing on the net. Like posting nude pics of themselves and many other things. I just want parents to start asking "what are you doing?"  "What are you lookign up?" Things like that.

nanof1
by New Member on Jun. 5, 2008 at 11:39 AM
Hello,nanof1 here,
Have you tried asking him every hr if he has to go  and not making a big deal if you know he has to go but wont because he knows you want him to I've found that toddlers are very independant!!!!! at this age .I know its vey frustating as a mother,childcaregiver because we know best however they are discovering that they have a mind of there own  so dont fight with him he will win be patient and consistant it will happen.About the screaming ignore it when he discovers its not getting your attention he will stop.by the way your son is adorable my daughter was a redhead and so is my grandaughter and the temper to go with.Good Luck and remember to give a little reward when he  goes .God Bless ya,
skywatcher1973
by on Jun. 5, 2008 at 5:37 PM
Thank you. I agree he is adorable  I have started letting him go Butt naked and he has peed on the floor once. He is holding it so he can wait till he is in underwear or pulls ups to go He won't go on the potty yet. I mean he tried with my husband but there was no pee guard on it so he went on the floor. And he has just gotten sick again so he's not feeling good. So if it isn't one thing it's another!!!

Keep the advice coming!! I am still taking thoughts and advice and ideas!!!

landansmommy87
by on Jul. 10, 2008 at 4:00 AM
Does anyone have a copy of the 3 day method?? I just started potty training my 20 month old yesterday and so far so good but he has had a few accidents which i know is to be expected but id like to read up on the 3 day method.If anyone has a copy please send it to my email address at landansmom1987@live.com
Thanks in advance

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)