Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT-A mother's worst fear!

Posted by on Jul. 2, 2008 at 5:14 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 295 Total Views
This was posted by a very close friend of mine in another group.  This is a lesson in everyone learning CPR if you are a parent or grandparent.  It really hits close to home since I know her so well. This is my friend's story!! (her kids are 17 months and 5 months old, this is about the 17 month old)

"My biggest fear as a mother came true on Monday afternoon.Monday we decided to go to my Oma's house in trenton to visit, and have a day at the pool. We were swimming all day and were having a great time! We got out of the pool because we were starting supper and Q was hungry so hubby and I were int he house with K and Q feeding Q. My mom said I'll take K outside so he can play I said OK. So he went outside. Next thing i know my mom asked me where K was, and I said he never came in the house.. Everyone was running frantically looking for him. Next thing I know is I hear my mom SCREAM OH MY GOD! And she jumped in the pool. My sister ran in the house because I had Q in my arms and i started screeching and they called 911...

I remember seeing my mom pull his lifeless blue body out of the water and put him on the edge of the pool and at that point my step dad and opa ran over and helped her do CPR. At that point I dropped to my knees screeched and hubby ran outside and was screaming and he came back in and had to hold me down. I remember my Oma yelling at me to stop screaming so she could hear the dispatcher on the phone, but I don't remember much after that.. I do remember hearing his first whimper and throwing up water ~ and my mom talking to him. But I was frantic. Finally i calmed a little because he was crying and my mom had me come over and talk to him and rub his head so he knew I was with him,and then she lost him again. He went limp and was lifeless I then freaked again.. and my mom pushed me out of the way and started CPR, she brought him back and the ambulance/firemen/policemen arrived. They got him up on the stretcher and the ems told me that I had to be calm and strong for him because they needed me next to him so he had something to fight for :(

I was strong and stayed with him. at this point he was SCREAMING and CRYING. Best sound i've ever heard in my life. I felt selfish for making him keep crying because when he went silent I started to freak out again.

We got in the ambulance and headed to the trauma center at the ER. They were wonderful. K collected yet again another bear from the ambulance. he's starting to get a collection -Bad I know-

we spent most of the night in the ER but he bounced back QUICKLY the doctors were amazed. After about an hour he was sitting up and playing - and eating/drinking. He is SO strong!!

I found out later that he died twice ... we figure since nobody heard a splash that he was trying to climb onto a blow up thing that was floating at the side of the pool, and just slipped under which held him under because he didn't flail his arms or anything. They determined he was under for about 4-5 mins. Everyone is amazed he survived. He's a special miracle boy - that's for sure.

I thank the lord my mom was there to do CPR she saved his life. i can`t imagine if she wasn`t there. I keep trying to envision what she saw.. and it`s the worst feeling in the world. i can`t imagine what went through her head.

He`s 100% fine, we went to the doctor this morning, and he has a clean bill of health. Just a little water in his ears which is throwing his balance off. I count myself the luckiest person in the world. He has no fear still of water... and it didn`t affect him at all.

Saddest part of all, for that 1minute. It was the ONLY time that day that he wasn`t wearing his life-jacket. my sister was off looking for it to put him in it! SCARY!

Someone was watching out for us Monday!"

by on Jul. 2, 2008 at 5:14 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
DiamondButerfly
by on Jul. 2, 2008 at 5:19 PM
Thank you for posting this! So many times in life we think, 'oh THAT could NEVER happen to ME!"---and what if "it" does....let's all be thankful for our kiddoes and learn more ways to protect them =).

ALiLBabyPHAT18
by Group Owner on Jul. 3, 2008 at 12:03 AM
OMG! Yeah, thanks for posting, what a heart-touching story! The good Lord was definately watching out for him that day! Thank God his is doing well, and that it didn't tramatize him! My little brother experienced something like this on his 2nd birthday (he is now 12), but he didn't drown, and actually, they still to this day don't know for sure what happened, but he was adopted (he's really my nephew) and my brother & his girlfriend were teenagers, they were abusive to him, and did drugs, so we ended up getting custody of him! The doctor's said it was between a seizure and flash-backs...he also died on us numerous times, and if it weren't for my dad & the ambulance, my brother probably wouldn't be alive! My mother & I were too frantic! It is one of the worst memories of my entire life! So, I can definately relate! *GOD BLESS THAT LITTLE BOY AND ESPECIALLY HIS GRANDMOTHER!

TWilson22
by Member on Jul. 3, 2008 at 10:41 AM
Thank God he is fine! Thank you for sharing his story with us. I am so happy you have a happy ending to this
Children are a gift from God, don't abuse his gifts!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)