Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do You Let Your Sons Play With Water Guns?

Posted by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 742 Total Views

Just an inquiring mind.  I do let mine play with water guns, but I'm wondering if it is a bad habit for them to get in to. Ya know, pointing guns at each other.  What do you think?

by on Sep. 8, 2011 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jamie12345
by on Sep. 11, 2011 at 7:02 PM

Hi.  I let mine play with water guns and play guns.  We have always said no pointing in the face and we try to really keep an eye on that.  But I dont see harm in that, I feel let boys be boys still.  :)

3princesmommy
by New Member on Sep. 11, 2011 at 8:54 PM

I think it's a lot different than the toy guns that look like the real deal and is all in fun.  My sons all squirt each other and us with them. 

krilerby
by Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 9:02 AM

That makes sense.  I know that boys will pick up almost anything and make it into a gun. LOL.

krilerby
by Member on Sep. 12, 2011 at 9:03 AM

We don't buy the boys toy guns that look real either.  I do think that makes a huge difference.

Jamie12345
by on Sep. 13, 2011 at 1:53 PM

well water guns look real too only they are colored.  as a mother to a 20 year old son and a 17 year old son as well, i dont think it matters if boys get to be boys and play with toy guns.  it doesnt mean they are going to go out and shoot someone because they played with toy guns as a kid.  just my experience and my opinion.

krilerby
by Member on Sep. 13, 2011 at 1:59 PM

I completely agree with you.

TexasMama2Boys
by New Member on Sep. 23, 2011 at 10:37 PM

I'm all for gun rights and if they wanna play with water guns, toy guns, go for it.. boys will be boys. I'm looking forward to the time they reach the age where they can start taking gun safety courses and go hunting with their dad. 

krilerby
by Member on Sep. 27, 2011 at 4:49 PM

Kolby is 9, and he went hunting the last two year.  Killed a 'button-buck' last season, and has been talking non-stop about going this year.  We are going to put him through hunter safety next year...and I will be taking it with him since I am right under the guidelines. You would think after a while they would grandfather me in..LOL!  38 and I have to take hunter's safety with my 9 year old.

mrsjonzy
by New Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 2:59 AM

I always said no because I think that guns are not toys and getting them in the mind set that it's okay to point guns at people real or not isn't a good thing. We own guns which I think is what makes me nervous, I don't think that introducing that type of thing before kids can understand safety is a good idea. That being said I have a three year old with several light but guns that look like his daddy's. It makes me uncomfortable but not enough to fight about it. 

krilerby
by Member on Oct. 9, 2011 at 2:13 PM

Quoting mrsjonzy:

I always said no because I think that guns are not toys and getting them in the mind set that it's okay to point guns at people real or not isn't a good thing. We own guns which I think is what makes me nervous, I don't think that introducing that type of thing before kids can understand safety is a good idea. That being said I have a three year old with several light but guns that look like his daddy's. It makes me uncomfortable but not enough to fight about it. 

He's 3, so have you gone over gun safety with him?  He should understand it.  Riley is 4 and he knows not to point guns at anything he doesn't intend to shoot. (now that is with the exception of water guns, kind of a catch-22 there, :)).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)