Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How do I get my 7 year old son to stop sucking his finger?!?!

Posted by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 286 Total Views
My boys are 8 & 7. My 7 year old is energetic and outgoing, the other more quiet. When my 7 year old is tired or bored or watching tv or a movie he puts his index finger in his mouth, he's done this since he was a baby but I'm tired of seeing him do this at this age. It's affecting his teeth and I find he will sometimes get sick over my other children because of the germs he picks up.
I've tried hot sauce, tape, he even suggested himself wearing a glove! It surprised me that he came up with it but I went along with his decision yet of course it didn't last.
I have to constantly remind him to get his finger out, put his hand down, i tell him either sit on his hand or put it in his pocket but if I turn my back he's at it in just a few moments.
I know it's a habit especially having started during baby stage but I can look at him and he'll know to get it out so I know he's aware of his action.
The dr said he'll outgrow it, but I'd like for it to stop before he further damages his teeth and to prevent any sickness, especially during these winter months. I don't expect it to stop overnight but I'm willing to try helping him create a better habit or have substitute the finger for a toy if he needs comfort.
Any advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Nov. 26, 2011 at 11:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
LOVEOUR3BOYS
by New Member on Nov. 29, 2011 at 3:53 PM

I know you said you have used hot sauce and if he is like mine they love hot sauce lol. I would try something more like tobasco sauce, or they make a solution that you can pick up at the pharmacy walmart used to sell it called "thumb" it was for thumb suckers and it taste HORRIBLE! maybe that will help him keep it out, I can see you would probably have a problem with him at school tho. :) Hope that helps and he stops for you soon!!

Joyces3Boys
by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 3:11 AM

When my oldest was little, he would suck on his thumb. So I mixed spinach with pepper in the blender and applied it to his finger. I got the idea from some magazine, and it worked!

danichaos
by on Dec. 20, 2011 at 3:14 AM
Dip his finger in nail polish remover
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)