Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I have a question ladies

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 218 Total Views

Good afternoon all,

I had my surgery August 14th 2009. So far I lost 83 pounds, and I feel great! But I noticed that in the beggining I couldn't drink to much. Lately I've been able to drink like regular, if you know what I mean lol, and it's kind of scaring me. I'm not getting full as fast as I used to get, and Im thinking.... is this normal?

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 1:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
crazyt1020
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 6:12 PM

Totally normal. There are three points at which you'll notice that your pouch capacity increases -- at 6 months post-op, 12 months post-op and 18 months post-op.

You're almost at the 6-month benchmark and your pouch is no longer inflamed from surgery so it can accomodate more so long as foods are soft or fluid. At 12 months, you'll notice your capacity for solid food increases dramatically. And at 18 months, your pouch is fully healed and able to stretch to its fullest.

It's important to use the first 18 months to establish good eating and lifestyle habits, because once your pouch heals fully around 18-24 months post-op, you will be able to physically consume enough to gain weight back. The key to long-term success is making the most of your honeymoon phase and utilizing the tool of your new anatomy to its fullest.

Good luck!

Tonya, California
Lap RNY 02/2005
Open Correction of Bowel Obstruction/Intestinal Hernias 01/2007
Currently pregnant with first child; due Jan. 22, 2010

JosieKat
by Member on Jan. 27, 2010 at 10:16 AM

Are we talking drinking alcohol or non alcohol here?  I got the impression you meant alcohol...

Imeverywoman34
by Member on Jan. 28, 2010 at 9:27 AM

Non alcohol LOL!  But I do drink alcohol occassionally.

Imeverywoman34
by Member on Jan. 28, 2010 at 9:35 AM

Thank you Crazyt.... I feel so much better now. I thought my pouch was streching faster than normal, and I've been scared to eat at all. I went back to liquids for a couple of days. But now I'm gonna go back to the chicken and fish.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)