Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Struggling

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 268 Total Views

I am currently in an insurance mandated 6 month waiting period before I have surgery.  The insurance company requires that I be on a physician superivsed diet during this period.  I am struggling so much with this lately.  I've been seriously considering just giving up and not having the surgery.  If I could lose this weight by dieting, I would have already done it!  I am just floundering right now, and need to know if it is normal to feel this way. 

by on Jan. 25, 2010 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Ma2JennaB
by on Jan. 26, 2010 at 9:39 AM

YES!  It is normal!!  I had to do the same thing and freaked out every month when I went to my group meeting and did not lose or lost a pound.  Then in month 5 I saw the surgeon who told me I would not be denied the surgery and if I could lose on my own why would I need to be there?  Do the best that you can!  This is just all insurance mandated CRAP that they are putting you through. Trust me, it is all worth it so don't give up and also don't be so hard on yourself. 

Wife to Mommy to

JosieKat
by Member on Jan. 26, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Luckily I did not have to do that, or I would feel the same as you do!  Try to tough it out and hopefully it will all work out in the end! 

mypookiesma
by Member on Feb. 3, 2010 at 3:24 PM

The insurance company is hoping that you will give up.  That is what they are counting on.  That way they will not have to pay for the surgery.  This is a trial period to see if you are indeed serious.  If you can make it through the first 6 months then you will not be able to make it for a lifetime.  A representative of my insurance company told me that they would not make you jump through all the hoops if they intended to just deny you.  Stick with it!!

I too had to go through 6 months physicians monitored diet.  Each month, make sure that you keep your appt and get it documented.  Do not skip one month, because you will then have to start all over again.  It does not really matter how much weight you lose, just that you are disciplined enough to keep at it. 

I have not gotten my approval yet, but hope to hear back anytime now.  I also had to provide them with a 3 year weight history.  Showing what my weight has been over the last 3 years (provided by my primary care physician) and had to have a psychological evaluation from a professional counselor stating that I was fully aware of what would be expected of me following this way of life. 

It is not easy now and it will not be easy after the surgery.  This is not a quick fix.  Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)