Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Looking at my options

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM
  • 16 Replies
  • 445 Total Views

Hello, my name is Steph. I am 27 years old. I am a single mom of a 2 year old little boy. I have been overweight my entire life. I lost over 220lbs 5 years ago, then I gained it all back plus more after I got pregnant. I have tried everything to get the weight off, but it keeps finding me.  After trying several different things, I have decided to take the first step in looking into weight loss surgery. I have a seminar that I am going to in June.  So now I am looking at my option as to what I want to get done. How did you all chose gastric bypass? The gastric bypass kind of scares me because I worked with a woman who issues from it. Any advice would really be nice. Thank you.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nicole548
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 9:09 PM

Everybody is different. Please don't let what she went through discourage you. Some have issues & some don't. Trust me, if you read my other posts you will see I had issues but I don't regret it one bit. I have lost 48 pounds in 7 weeks so far. I decided on the bypass just by doing research & realizing this is what needed to be done.

qtmomof2
by on May. 28, 2010 at 3:36 PM

First ....take all of our stories as sort of an informational guide. NO surgery is better than another one and I hate when people are like "well gastric bypass is better than lapband". Nothing is better. Nothing is easier. All have risks.

I chose gastric bypass because I wanted to lose weight quicker. Lapband is a little slower ...sometimes a LOT slower. I have known people that had to have a revision from lapband to gastric bypass because they weren't losing any weight with their band. Give me 1 surgery and get it over with.

I also didn't want fills. When you have the band you have to get fills several times a year and I just didn't want it.

I also know (and I know this from the many support groups I've attended and from other patients) that with the lapband you can cheat more. And I wanted NO reasons what so ever to cheat.

With the bypass ...when you eat something bad (cookies, cake, ice cream) you will more than likely having dumping syndrome. Dumping syndrome is not pooping (well you can have pooping) but your symptoms are fatigue, hot flashes, and pain ...and other symptoms. It is NOT fun. How to solve that? Don't eat that stuff. It's simple. Also, if you over eat ...you will feel uncomfortable and/or puke. How to solve it? Don't over eat. But that is why I chose GB. I wanted my pouch to yell at me if I was bad!!

People forget that this surgery is to HELP you. It's a tool. You STILL have to work with the tool. You will still have challenges. I'm 2 years out from surgery and still go to support groups 3 times a month because I need it!! I want to always be informed and in check. I want to stay commited.

Sooo...that's my story :-) I don't regret ONE bit! We all have choices and this was my choice :-)

All4you
by Member on May. 28, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Please check out the Duodenal Switch. It has the BEST long term results for both weight  loss and resolving medical issues such as diabetis. Check out www.dsfacts.com . The lapband you can HOPE to keep off maybe 25% of your excess weight loss, the RNY maybe 75%, with the DS you can hope to keep off 80% or more. The DS lets you lead the most normal life and have the most normal relationship with food!

All4you
by Member on May. 28, 2010 at 4:45 PM

Less than 25% of RNYers "dump" you can not count on this negative reinforcment to keep you in check and why would you want to? It's like being punished everytime you want to celebrate your childs birthday with a bite of cake!

Quoting qtmomof2:

First ....take all of our stories as sort of an informational guide. NO surgery is better than another one and I hate when people are like "well gastric bypass is better than lapband". Nothing is better. Nothing is easier. All have risks.

I chose gastric bypass because I wanted to lose weight quicker. Lapband is a little slower ...sometimes a LOT slower. I have known people that had to have a revision from lapband to gastric bypass because they weren't losing any weight with their band. Give me 1 surgery and get it over with.

I also didn't want fills. When you have the band you have to get fills several times a year and I just didn't want it.

I also know (and I know this from the many support groups I've attended and from other patients) that with the lapband you can cheat more. And I wanted NO reasons what so ever to cheat.

With the bypass ...when you eat something bad (cookies, cake, ice cream) you will more than likely having dumping syndrome. Dumping syndrome is not pooping (well you can have pooping) but your symptoms are fatigue, hot flashes, and pain ...and other symptoms. It is NOT fun. How to solve that? Don't eat that stuff. It's simple. Also, if you over eat ...you will feel uncomfortable and/or puke. How to solve it? Don't over eat. But that is why I chose GB. I wanted my pouch to yell at me if I was bad!!

People forget that this surgery is to HELP you. It's a tool. You STILL have to work with the tool. You will still have challenges. I'm 2 years out from surgery and still go to support groups 3 times a month because I need it!! I want to always be informed and in check. I want to stay commited.

Sooo...that's my story :-) I don't regret ONE bit! We all have choices and this was my choice :-)

qtmomof2
by on Jun. 1, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I said it was PART of my reasoning for choosing RNY. Why would I want cake any way? Even at 2 years post op I have no desire for it. I'm cool with that!

Like you ...I had a choices. I looked at ALL of the pro's and con's and RNY seemed like it would work for ME. And whatever surgery you decide on ....IT'S STILL A TOOL!! I don't care about higher success rates and numbers. 3 years post op when your stomach/pouch is able to hold more it will be up to YOU at that point to maintain the weight ...and take all of the knowledge you were taught before surgery to help you. I don't speak for anyone else but myself. And I don't "count on" anything or anyone but myself! Like I said, at 2 years post op I still go to 3 support groups a month (both the preop and postop groups). I go to help the new people coming in the program and I go for my own benefit so that I stay on track. I post in these groups. I blog. I'm on obesityhelp.com every day. Those are the things that help ME!

Quoting All4you:

Less than 25% of RNYers "dump" you can not count on this negative reinforcment to keep you in check and why would you want to? It's like being punished everytime you want to celebrate your childs birthday with a bite of cake!

Quoting qtmomof2:

All4you
by Member on Jun. 2, 2010 at 11:01 AM

I do not have a pouch. I have a sleeve. It will stretch but not much. It always shocks me how MOST people with the RNY get so defensive over nothing. Like your surgery? Great hope it works for you. But at 5 years out your going to have to work a hell of a lot harder at maintenance than I am. Yes I can eat more, but I don't absorb a good portion of what I eat. RNY is restrictive only after about 2 years the little bit of malabsorption you have is gone.

Quoting qtmomof2:

I said it was PART of my reasoning for choosing RNY. Why would I want cake any way? Even at 2 years post op I have no desire for it. I'm cool with that!

Like you ...I had a choices. I looked at ALL of the pro's and con's and RNY seemed like it would work for ME. And whatever surgery you decide on ....IT'S STILL A TOOL!! I don't care about higher success rates and numbers. 3 years post op when your stomach/pouch is able to hold more it will be up to YOU at that point to maintain the weight ...and take all of the knowledge you were taught before surgery to help you. I don't speak for anyone else but myself. And I don't "count on" anything or anyone but myself! Like I said, at 2 years post op I still go to 3 support groups a month (both the preop and postop groups). I go to help the new people coming in the program and I go for my own benefit so that I stay on track. I post in these groups. I blog. I'm on obesityhelp.com every day. Those are the things that help ME!

Quoting All4you:

Quoting qtmomof2:

kiwi91663
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 12:06 PM

Wow...I am re-thinking my keeping in this group....

Geepers, girls....agree to disagree or whatever and step back.

The pot calling the kettle black on the touchy subject.  This poor girl was just looking for some advice...thoughts....feelings....not a cat fight!

I joined this group yesterday hoping for some "we are here for you, pick you up, vent if you need to"....space...instead I am in the middle of the drama that I so don't want.

Thinking my time is short lived in this group....

I wish best of luck to all of you....those that have had surgery...and those waiting and for those still just thinking....I went so fast, that my head is still spinning...and I am really on shaky ground...(why I joined the group).....I went in on April 1st to talk about the surgery...and had mine one week and one day ago....fast! 

Anyway....thanks....and best of luck to you all...and may you find succuss and have succuss keeping it all off! 

qtmomof2
by on Jun. 2, 2010 at 2:48 PM

Sorry if this post got out of control! I'm a defensive RNY patient I guess *shrug*. Peace out ladies :-)

HeatherinFL
by Member on Jun. 5, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Wow - I know your story and feel your struggles!  I had the gastric bypass surgery in spring 2003 - they took my gall bladder at the same time.  I can tell you that I was very sick.  Not sure if it was a result of bypass or gall bladder - but I was nauseous and couldn't even get in the sips of water required post op. 

Now, that said - did I lose weight?? Absolutely - just over 100 pounds.  Did some come back?? Umm... yes.  But not all of it!  Did I get off blood pressure medicine and CPAP??? Yes!  Would I do the surgery again knowing what I know now???  Probably not.  For two reasons...

#1 - We have found a health and wellness company that offered a 24 day challenge - and it broke me through a plateau I have been at for over 2 years!  I have lost another 20 pounds, am no longer anemic and have more energy than I have had in over 10 years!!  Email me if you would like a FREE sample of the natural energy drink!  (dolanhs@yahoo.com)

#2 - My cousins wife, Monica, without letting the rest of the family know in advance. had the bypass procedure done earlier this year.  And although I have heard many horror stories, you never believe it will happen to you or anyone you know.  She died 2 weeks after surgery in her husbands arms.  Leaving behind him and their 10 year daughter, Delaney. 

I will be praying for you and your decision.  God knows what is best for you and your health!!  I had the procedure and did well.  I would recommend you try the 24 day challenge before having the procedure just to see if it does for you what it did for us!!  It has changed our lives!!

The best to you and your little one!

Ma2JennaB
by on Jun. 5, 2010 at 2:58 PM

What exactly did she die from?  This is the one part of the statistics that is messed up.  A person can get hit by a bus 2 weeks later and they died from the surgery!  This surgery- any of them - is a mere tool to teach us to eat right and let us get to a healthy weight- it is a TOOL and not a CRUTCH!  Those who use it the correct way will succeed no matter how far our they are...those who want to lose with ease and never work for it will fail.  Simple as that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)