Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

NOTES FROM DEB

Posted by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 3:16 PM
  • 15 Replies
  • 1439 Total Views
Hey gang,
this is where you will get notes from me from time to time, so look for it.

I want to share something with you because I am being led to. And I rarely not answer that call.

I started this group because I was lonely, I was looking for a place to get my feelngs out, even if nobody ever read it, it was enough to fill that void, and then someone responded and then alot responded and it became important to me, I never expected it to have 100 members, but that just tells me that there are so many of us out there. But at the same time I am glad all of you are out there because now I have 100 new friends in the world. We share so much on here, and sometimes we don't even realize that we are. Something that one person says or goal that was reached can mean all the difference in the world to one person.

Our life's goal is to find the answers, the answers to why am I here, what am I supposed to do?

It's a joy sometimes to see the wind blowing the trees, a butterfly that lands on your shoulder. The smile of a child. Awesome stuff.

There is so much beauty in the world that we choose not to see, instead we choose to see the bad, the indifferent, the more invisible we are the less we get hurt.

Well maybe sometimes you have to get hurt to know what pain is, if not how would we know the difference.

I am so proud of you guys, some have taken giant steps, some baby, steps, and some have stepped off. But for whatever reason this is where we are, now it's up to us,

We have shared joy, pain, triumphs, and defeats and I am glad to have walked that journey with you.

If you ever wondered why I chose that Icon for this group, well it's because after I had my surgery I felt like a rose, with many petals, and as time went on those petals fell blossomed, as I became a beautiful flower.

Ok this is getting long when all I really wanted to say was

YIPPIE....WE MADE  100 STRONG
I AM SO EXCITED.

FOREVER LEARNING ABOUT LIFE
DEB
by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 3:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
geomadtraem
by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 5:39 PM
I am glad that you were led to start this group.  I enjoy reading about everyone's victories, struggles, and journeys.  I know that I am not alone and that there is always someone who is willing to listen adn will understand. 
Emily
sffreak
by Member on Nov. 4, 2007 at 11:17 AM
Deb,

You're a great person with a lot of very deep insights.  I agree with your philosophy on enjoying life and being greatful for all of it's gifts, large and small.  You replied to something I posted a couple of weeks ago and your support made me feel really, really good.
Keep being a friend and reaching out!  It does a lot of good.

Margo
ibdeb424
by Group Owner on Nov. 4, 2007 at 11:01 PM
Thanks Margo,
I am not sure it's wisdom or just some of life's lessons. They aren't always easy. I just know I have gone through whatever it was I had to go through to make me who I am today. Not that it's a good thing...lol....just it is what it is.
I have waded through cow manure, and trudged through sunshine at the same time, and we never know why things happen the way that they do or the reason, we just  get what we get. But sometimes there is just enough patience and guidance that we see a glimmer ofa rainbow, and for that split second we know, and then it's gone and we have to do dishes, and clean house and kiss boo-boo's. I wasn't destined for greatness, just destined.
I believe we cross each other's path for a reason, and although we may never understand it we just learn little lessons from each other, even when we don't realize it. I think back to the days when I was uncertain, moody, scared or even sad, (this morning)...lol...j/k. There have been many times in my life that a simple word or gesture has changed the way I felt, or even the course of the day.
Funny how that happens.
Thanks for the kind words, and I am glad that you are here, all of you. We can learn from each other, we can take wisdom and knowledge and grow.
Knowledge is the only thing that nobody can take from us.
How we use it is up to us.
Night gang, this old lady is tired.
Congrats to all of those who are starting their journey, and blessing's to those who are walking it, because when you get to the end of your road and can look back and smile, it's only then that you are complete.

Thanks for listening

swicwife
by New Member on Nov. 13, 2007 at 11:11 PM
I am in the first intital stages of this weight fight...at my highest ever 230lbs I really feel the need for the surgery but everyone tells me the risk are too high. I have read and studied the risk....I HATE BEING FAT...noone else tellling me what I should do is fat or overweight at that, they have no idea. I assume you have had the surgery I have a rough schedule of having mine done in January, are you glad you got it and would you do it again....are the benefits better than the risks? PLease guide me through this I am struggling on a decision, but each day when I cannot wear the clothes I could last year I want to cut the fat our myself...please help me with ths and tell me how you feel........
ibdeb424
by Group Owner on Nov. 14, 2007 at 7:01 AM
I feel alive, which I didn't before the surgery, I was ashamed and depressed , and I was missing out on life, not doing things with my family for fear of embarrassing them in public to be seen with the fat lady, or subject my kids to "your moms so fat" jokes....People can be cruel, then I started getting health problems and I was on the fast rode to death. Do I regret the surgery...."HELL NO"...would I do it again?  IN a minute. I have my life back, my health and my family. My family didn't understand and my mom was 100% against the surgery....but I knew I had to do it to live. It is a hard decision to make and it is life altering, but in my eyes and I am sure alot of others it was life saving. It's not for everyone and you have to make your own decision but for me the only alternative was obesity and death. Good luck and we are with you either way.
sffreak
by Member on Dec. 8, 2007 at 8:12 AM
Deb,

Sorry to be SO late in replying to your post.  I just now saw it.  I'm still learning how to navigate the site.

Of course you're scared and conflicted.  This is a huge decision and certainly not one to be taken lightly so the indecision and conflict are all a part of the journey.  I am still waiting for insurance approval so can't respond as a veteran who's gone through it all, but I will say that living life obese is harmful mentally as well as physically in many, many ways.  I'd rather run the risk than continue life this way.  It's as risky if not more to stay obese when you think of how it shortens your life and causes so many other health issues.

Good luck with your decision.

Margo
ibdeb424
by Group Owner on Dec. 19, 2007 at 8:59 PM
Well Today has been rather interesting...I learned that even after many years, I can still get sick from eating too many sweets...lol....but damn it tasted good going down....my weakness is Chocolate Covered Cherries...the Cella's with the clear center....well lets just say 2 is my limit...But we live and learn...anything going on in your neck of the woods??

Everyone ready for Santa???

I have decided since Courtney is now 18 I am going to pass down my mother's hope chest filled with stuff for her first home. It means a lot to me so I hope she realizes the importance of it is and takes care of it.

Anyway, are there any traditions that you guys want to pass on to your children???

Proud owner of Gastric Bypass Patients Group

My Gals are the best

sunshinestar
by New Member on Dec. 22, 2007 at 8:00 PM
 I had my surgery 2003 and I'm not sure if I would do it again.  I read a lot about it too, but what I didn't hear enough about was the risk of having a hernia.  I have had two repairs as recent as a month ago.  They don't tell you that these hernia can come back and they are hard to repair.  When I had my hernia repair my doctor just kind of blowed it off like it's not a big deal but what I found out is, it is a big deal.  When you have the hernia repaired with a stitch about 50% come back. I am still in pain and is sure mine has come back. My next move is to find out about getting it repaired with the patch.  I have heard a lot of horror stories about getting it repaired.  I am not telling you not to have the surgery, but what I am saying is be prepared for whatever comes up after, you might have to deal with it for life.  I have said to my self, I was not in pain when I was over weight, but do to the hernia I am in a lot of pain most days. Yes, I lost the weight and look good but I didn't really want to deal with this.  These doctor are making a lot of money now days from this surgery,  but only you have to deal with the problems after.  They just move on to the next patient.  Good luck

Jackie
ibdeb424
by Group Owner on Dec. 29, 2007 at 9:10 AM
I am sooo sorry you are in pain, but did the hernia come from the surgery or was it from something else?...this is the first I have heard of a hernia comming from gastric bypass, how does that happen???....thanks for posting this and know that hopefully good things are around the corner for you.
Keep us posted on how you are doing.

Proud owner of Gastric Bypass Patients Group

My Gals are the best

achmsons
by New Member on Jan. 2, 2008 at 10:59 PM
Hello,

I had my surgery on August 24th.  It is the best think I ever did.  At m highest weight I was 250.  4 months later I'm 185.  I have had minimal problems and issues.  I would definitely do it again.  From my research the risks are minimal.  I had my surgery laperscopicaly.  (spelling) The only thing I need to worry about is getting enough water and taking my vitamins.  Hope this helps
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)