Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hey gang,
this is where you will get notes from me from time to time, so look for it.

I want to share something with you because I am being led to. And I rarely not answer that call.

I started this group because I was lonely, I was looking for a place to get my feelngs out, even if nobody ever read it, it was enough to fill that void, and then someone responded and then alot responded and it became important to me, I never expected it to have 100 members, but that just tells me that there are so many of us out there. But at the same time I am glad all of you are out there because now I have 100 new friends in the world. We share so much on here, and sometimes we don't even realize that we are. Something that one person says or goal that was reached can mean all the difference in the world to one person.

Our life's goal is to find the answers, the answers to why am I here, what am I supposed to do?

It's a joy sometimes to see the wind blowing the trees, a butterfly that lands on your shoulder. The smile of a child. Awesome stuff.

There is so much beauty in the world that we choose not to see, instead we choose to see the bad, the indifferent, the more invisible we are the less we get hurt.

Well maybe sometimes you have to get hurt to know what pain is, if not how would we know the difference.

I am so proud of you guys, some have taken giant steps, some baby, steps, and some have stepped off. But for whatever reason this is where we are, now it's up to us,

We have shared joy, pain, triumphs, and defeats and I am glad to have walked that journey with you.

If you ever wondered why I chose that Icon for this group, well it's because after I had my surgery I felt like a rose, with many petals, and as time went on those petals fell blossomed, as I became a beautiful flower.

Ok this is getting long when all I really wanted to say was

YIPPIE....WE MADE  100 STRONG
I AM SO EXCITED.

FOREVER LEARNING ABOUT LIFE
DEB
by on Oct. 28, 2007 at 3:16 PM
Replies (11-15):
djnsn
by New Member on Dec. 28, 2009 at 7:23 PM

I also felt the same way. I had my surgery 2 weeks ago and am very glad I did.  I had second thoughts also as my highest weight was 235 lbs and was told by so many that I wasnt big enough to have GBS done as that is for people much larger than I was. Then I also heard others say for my  health it was the rght decision. I have multiple underlying health conditions which was what helped make my decision. I am so glad I had it done. Its only been two weeks and I no longer take and diabetic meds and my sugars are normal. Looking forward to more weight loss and better health.

crazyt1020
by on Dec. 29, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I'm am close to celebrating my fifth anniversary as a post-op. My highest recorded weight was 350, though I started my WLS journey around 335. I was 309 the day of surgery and a year later had dropped 168 pounds. My lowest recorded weight was about 115, but I feel most comfortable when I weight 145-165.

I would like to address Jackie's post about her post-op complications. All forms of WLS carry with them a host of potential complications. As patients, I think it's our job to educate ourselves on those complications and to be aware of our personal risk factors for developing them. Most post-op complications are due to non-compliance by patients but there are a handful (stricture, hernia, bowel obstruction) that "just happen."

Two years after having RNY gastric-bypass, I was diagnosed with a bowel obstruction and internal hernias. Long story short, my intestines had tangled into a gigantic knot and begun twisting themselves inside out. I had been misdiagnosed by non-bariatric doctors six months before. By the time I had an accurate diagnosis, I was a few hours from death and required invasive emergency surgery. I was in the hospital for 9 days, I lost 40 pounds, and I had the most hellish road to recovery over the following year that you could imagine.

But I'm alive and mostly well today. I now struggle with nutritional deficiencies because my intestines are pretty beat up and have difficulty absorbing nutrients. Through diligence on my part and the part of my current medical providers, though, I am turning the tide and my labs are increasing. I also suffer from reactive hypoglycemia, a form of low blood sugar that is specific to gastric-bypass patients (specifically RNY and DS) and only made it on the radar of the bariatric community in 2008. It's a daily battle to manage, but I make it work.

I have also been living with an incisional hernia for the last year (from the vertical incision used to access my bowels and save my life when I had the obstruction).

Depending upon how you look at it, I have a lot to be bitter about. But I don't regret my surgery at all. I knew exactly what I was getting into when I went under the knife in 2005. I researched every possible outcome. I went into surgery fully prepared to die on the table. I survived. I keep a binder of potential complications handy at all times and if I feel poorly, I look up my symptoms in there just to be on the safe side. I'm ever vigilant. Not perfect but vigilant.

WLS is a gift and a tool. It is not something to do on a whim because you're tired of dieting. It was created as a last-ditch effort to achieve health and wellness among the morbidly obese. I know society has made it more of a popular Band-Aid nowadays, but that doesn't change its reason for being around.

Because of WLS, I am a new person and an expectant mom. Despite my laundry list of complications, I've managed to not only get pregnant but also to sustain a healthy pregnancy. I've had to be more careful than some pregnant women, but truthfully, the juice has been worth the squeeze.

Jackie, I am sorry you are suffering complications you don't feel you were informed of but you can't change the past. It's never too late to do your research and find out what else you are possibly at risk for -- and many of those post-op complications are preventable. Incisional hernias, for example, are very preventable and are a complication faced by anyone who has had their abdominal wall surgically opened. Intestinal hernias, however, are not. But intestinal hernias are a post-op complication of any laparoscopic procedure -- not just gastric bypass.

A former journalist, I have written extensively on surgical weight loss and my personal journey. Anyone who is interested in reading my story can visit my blog: http://insideout-tonya.blogspot.com.

Tonya

mary_allbright
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 8:09 AM

Deb,

I thank God everyday for this group because when I found you guys I was down and feeling so low because of my weight and health problems. But this group and you have helped me through some perilous times along with my faith in God. Thank you and God bless you all.

group hug

JosieKat
by Member on Sep. 5, 2010 at 7:45 AM

Thanks, this group has been very helpful for me and many others!

parker4429
by on Mar. 2, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Thank you ladies for coming forward and sharing your stories.  I have been thinking about getting GBS but am truly at a loss as how to get started.  Any advice or suggestions regarding research sites, how to choose a doctor, and how to go about getting pre-approval for insurance?  Any unexpected experiences I should be aware of?  I am open to any and all advice.  Thank you  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN