Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hunger

Posted by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:22 PM
  • 9 Replies
  • 303 Total Views

At the seminar I went to they said that a lot of those patients after the surgery didn't even get hungry anymore.

I was just curious about how many of you experienced no hunger or were you hungry and if you were,. how bad was it?

Krys

by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Gwen2011
by New Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:27 PM

I had gastric bypass almost 3 and a half years ago and I will tell you from personal experience, I literally was not hungry and did not eat for 3 or 4 days. Of course, you are only allowed liquids after the surgery but I didn't even want the broth. Even after I went home, I still didn't eat and I still very rarely get hungry now. I have actually hit a plateau and I haven't really been trying to lose weight, although I still need to lose a little more- I have lost 180 pounds and I would do the surgery all over again if I had to. It was the best choice I have ever made.

Krystina_Grant
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 6:30 PM

Thank you!! That's what I was hoping to hear. I wonder how common it is though. But it must be pretty common if they mentioned it at the seminar, right?

Krys

Aydans_Mommy
by on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:04 PM
I'm almost 7 months out and I don't get hungry at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Krystina_Grant
by Member on Dec. 3, 2011 at 11:06 PM

Awesome!! I love hearing that!! :-D

Krys

ledwards484
by Member on Dec. 4, 2011 at 7:17 AM

My surgery was 8 months ago.  I have days where I have to force myself to eat, because I am not hungry at all.  Some days, I don't really get hungry, I just get weak and trembly and know that I NEED to eat.  I haven't had any true hunger pains since the surgery, although the doctor had said I would probably be feeling hungry by now. 

my2kidsma
by Member on Jan. 9, 2012 at 2:32 PM

I thought I was feeling hungry about a week after surgery.  It lasted for about 2 weeks.  Now, I think it was just habbit.  I was starting to feel better and was trying to get in my normal routine.  One of my bad habbits was to eat while watching tv or when on the internet (mindless eating).  I'm almost a month post op now.  I try to sit at the table for all of my meals.  I use myfitnesspal.com to count my protein as soon as I've got enough I do a mini celebration.  It means I get to quit forcing myself to eat.  I try to pick meats where I can get 20 grams in one serving.  Frozen meatballs are one of my favorites.  3 of the little things and I'm done!  Add cottage cheese and some spaghetti sauce and it's like lasagna without the pasta.  I hate breakfast.  It literally makes me nauseated.  I haven't thrown up yet though. I only gagged once, and that was when I took all of my morning pills at the same time.   

rissadan
by Member on Jan. 10, 2012 at 6:03 AM
For the first couple of weeks I had to remind myself to eat, but my appetite did come back. I try to make myself eat on a schedule. If I get hungry when it is not "time" to eat, I drink water. I am a year and a half out. There are also days where I will forget to eat, or where everything I eat makes me nauseous but those are fairly spread out.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddpagano
by Member on Jan. 11, 2012 at 7:08 AM

well at first no I wasn't hungry at all. But then about 6 months post op, I started getting hungry again. They said its because all the swelling was finally gone in my pouch. You will deal with "phantom hunger" where you THINK your hungry and are supposed to eat, but you really aren't. Its weird and it will pass. I"m almost a year out (Feb 14th) and I'm down 75lbs!! I've got another 30 to go til my goal!!! Hang in there, and yes having this surgery was the BEST decision of my life!!!

tgallaher
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 12:39 PM

As of now, 5 months post op, I still do not have any hunger, and really no real desire for food. I usually stand in front of  my pantry just trying to find something that is appetizing. However, my doctor said that the hunger does come back after a year or so.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)