Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Miltary spouse anyone?

Posted by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

So my husband is ADAF and we just recently switched from triwest to humana miltary south. before we had moved from regions i had met up with a surgeon and said that i wouldnt qualify for surgery(at that time i was 220 and had no co mobities) and then when i got to the new region i found out they changed thier requirements. Im now 240 and have a bmi over 40. I have heard that they ask for a 6 month documentation of failed dieting in your records so im wondering if anyone else has had to do the six month of dieting?? I am finally meeting my regular dr on monday so i want to prepare myself. any information would be greatly appreciated. oh and we are stationed at Barksdale AFB, LA but i live in longview area of texas to attend school.

by on Jun. 1, 2012 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
devinalexis
by New Member on Jun. 5, 2012 at 6:13 PM

I think every branch and hospital is different we just changed to triwest and I had no problem my BMI is almost 40 and the day I seen the case manager she told me i am approved. I have done all the classes and am doing my 30 food journal right now then I meet with the surgeon for my date good luck and just go talk to someone and find out.

Momto2Queens23
by New Member on Jun. 6, 2012 at 3:45 PM

i had a dr appointment two days ago, adn she said she will put my referal in so now im just waiting for it to show up on my humana thingy so i know who to call. LOL.

MamaHood
by Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 2:55 PM

my husband is AD Navy and I actually had no documentation of failed dieting or exercise. Here on our base they have a Weight Loss Surgery Clinic and you just get a referal from your PCM. I had to do some classes, support group meetings and lose 10% of my body weight and then qualified for the surgery. I never dealt with tricare ever.

babygirlk1128
by New Member on Jun. 7, 2012 at 5:48 PM

we  AD Army stationed overseas... and I just got approved for my surgery. I had to do 6 months of spark people. (something that kept track of my diet and exercise) as well attend nutrition classes . Once that was approved by my PCM I had be able to pass an psych evaluation. Then tricare sent me to a doctor

shiney320
by Member on Jun. 11, 2012 at 4:41 PM

the military insurance is CRACKING down hardcore on approving the actual surgery, approvals go through just fine, you can't really be denied the referral, but for the surgery to be approved they are now putting up hoops, most are requiring the 6mth documentation. Too many women were abusing the system, gaining weight for the surgery, convincing doctors to fib a referral through etc...

my2kidsma
by Member on Aug. 5, 2012 at 11:23 PM

My hubs is AD Army.  I had heard those same requirements, but I went to the post hospital and didn't have to deal with as much.  I started at SAMC in Texas.  Part of the program was to see a nutritionist for 6 months to help loose weight.  There was no history of failed diets needed for me.  We moved to Hawaii so I transfered to TAMC.  I had to do 60 days of food logs (my fitness pal.com is great), see a nutritionist, psych, but was given the go ahead.  They go by your weight on your initial visit (usually a seminar) so dress heavy, and don't suck in your stomach when they measure you.  Push it out a little if anything!  Then when you need to loose weight you can just wear light weight clothing.  It doesn't make a ton of difference, but those last few pounds were hard for me. I only did this b/c I knew they would want me to loose 5% before surgery. 

ozzyswifey
by Member on Sep. 12, 2012 at 1:34 PM

I had my surgery 2 years ago I was 340 and 5'2 my BMI was 62 I got approved right away but u do have to go see a shrink and I had to lose some of the weight before the surgery I applied in july had my surgery in september

Momto2Queens23
by New Member on Dec. 24, 2012 at 9:37 PM

lol I actually had my surgery the day before you responded to this post!!! haha how funny, I never got a message saying you responded! oh well. Thank you for the response!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)