Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Lord give me patience. How did you all manage...

Posted by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM
  • 11 Replies
  • 376 Total Views

Question and vent... Had to post. I am going nuts! LOL. I have been waiting to see if my insurance approved my wls for over a week and a half. Doctor's office FINALLY called me back today. They said that my insurance company got back to them and said they need one final thing from me. They need me to get a surgical clearance from my primary Dr. She said this is something new that insurances are requiring now?... Not sure what to think now. Was hoping I wouldn't need to go through anymore hoops. Been doing this for 10 months now. Did any of you have this happen to you. I am trying to be positive. I am assuming they are going to approve me if that is all they needed from me? What do you all think?

by on Jul. 20, 2012 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alex825
by Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 7:57 AM

Average wait time is 6 months, required by most Insurance companies. It can take up to a year for everything to fall into place. From Insurance requirements, the requirements from the Surgical weight Loss Center Doctors. Some require a 6 months to a year of Counseling, classes and a requirement of losing 10% of body fat too.  It is not an overnight process. Mine took just under 6 months, only because I am a "healthy fat person", meaning I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc,

You are almost there!!!!  The Wait sucks! What a beautiful pic of you. ! Good luck 

GypsyEyezNY
by New Member on Jul. 22, 2012 at 9:19 PM

Thank you very much. Yes my insurance required 6 months as well. But my process stretched out to over 10 months and counting now because my Primary Dr. did not fill out document correctly so I had to redo those visits. I was not happy. I am also a "healthy fat person". I have no diabetes, highblood pressure or anything like that. They are saying all I need is the surgical clearance and I am good to go. So hopefully that is the case and they don't come up with some other story.

Quoting Alex825:

Average wait time is 6 months, required by most Insurance companies. It can take up to a year for everything to fall into place. From Insurance requirements, the requirements from the Surgical weight Loss Center Doctors. Some require a 6 months to a year of Counseling, classes and a requirement of losing 10% of body fat too.  It is not an overnight process. Mine took just under 6 months, only because I am a "healthy fat person", meaning I do not have diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol etc,

You are almost there!!!!  The Wait sucks! What a beautiful pic of you. ! Good luck 

Alex825
by Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Awe, your Primary Doctor messed up, that stinks. I went through Lahey Clinic in Burlington Ma, The have a Surgical Weight Loss Center. Fortunately they do all the "leg" work for the surgery. All I needed was a referal from my primary and I was good to go. Though I was in shock after my first Meeting, when they told me it was a 6 month to year wait. I was like WTF, you have got to be kidding me. It took so much emotionally just to get to the meeting. Meaning I am NOT one to EVER ask for help. But I am 47 and don't want to be unhealthy as I age. I don't wish to be skinny, just normal will be awesome. 

Today marks one week post-op. It has been good. For the most part, I have had very little pain from the surgery, however the gas they use to pump up your tummy and passing all the gas has been uncomfortable to say the least. Then Only 3 shakes a day, down from 5 is literally starvation. lol I had no problems with digesting the shakes or meds, or finally my one scrambled egg, which was freaking AWESOME, I ATE SOMETHING WITH A FORK!!!  I am starving ALL the time. That does not go away.  :(  Plus drinking 64 oz's of fluids a day is quite the battle. But I line up my 4 water bottles for the day and do my best. Everyone says its a tough first month after surgery, so I take it all in with my Vicodin and smile.  lol. 

Keep me posted, I sure hope the paper work comes through quickly!!!!  The wait is so hard. Hang in there! 

Pami

Quoting GypsyEyezNY:

Thank you very much. Yes my insurance required 6 months as well. But my process stretched out to over 10 months and counting now because my Primary Dr. did not fill out document correctly so I had to redo those visits. I was not happy. I am also a "healthy fat person". I have no diabetes, highblood pressure or anything like that. They are saying all I need is the surgical clearance and I am good to go. So hopefully that is the case and they don't come up with some other story.

Quoting Alex825:

GypsyEyezNY
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2012 at 5:58 PM

Yes I have also heard the first month or so is very hard. But I am so ready!!!! The wait does suck. It's been 10 months and counting. I was hoping to have my surgery by August (next month) or september the latest, but that remains to be seen. :/

Quoting Alex825:

Awe, your Primary Doctor messed up, that stinks. I went through Lahey Clinic in Burlington Ma, The have a Surgical Weight Loss Center. Fortunately they do all the "leg" work for the surgery. All I needed was a referal from my primary and I was good to go. Though I was in shock after my first Meeting, when they told me it was a 6 month to year wait. I was like WTF, you have got to be kidding me. It took so much emotionally just to get to the meeting. Meaning I am NOT one to EVER ask for help. But I am 47 and don't want to be unhealthy as I age. I don't wish to be skinny, just normal will be awesome. 

Today marks one week post-op. It has been good. For the most part, I have had very little pain from the surgery, however the gas they use to pump up your tummy and passing all the gas has been uncomfortable to say the least. Then Only 3 shakes a day, down from 5 is literally starvation. lol I had no problems with digesting the shakes or meds, or finally my one scrambled egg, which was freaking AWESOME, I ATE SOMETHING WITH A FORK!!!  I am starving ALL the time. That does not go away.  :(  Plus drinking 64 oz's of fluids a day is quite the battle. But I line up my 4 water bottles for the day and do my best. Everyone says its a tough first month after surgery, so I take it all in with my Vicodin and smile.  lol. 

Keep me posted, I sure hope the paper work comes through quickly!!!!  The wait is so hard. Hang in there! 

Pami

Quoting GypsyEyezNY:

Quoting Alex825:

Alex825
by Member on Jul. 31, 2012 at 7:33 PM

Hey honey, how are you doing? 

GypsyEyezNY
by New Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Quoting Alex825:

Hey honey, how are you doing? 

Hi! I am doing good. Thanks for asking. Still waiting hahaha. Just went and had my surgical clearance done. Now waiting for blood work to come back and my Dr. to write a letter of clearance for my insurance company. How are you doing?

Alex825
by Member on Aug. 1, 2012 at 9:13 AM

Finally sounds like the ball is rolling for you. Yippeee!!!  I am doing great, I feel good and have had no problems with food tolerances. Except for the few blueberries I ate, They just didnt sit well. I am already able to eat 3oz's of protein at every meal. It does fill you. I have even adjusted to DECAF coffee. I try to walk everyday, weather permitting. 

Please keep me posted. 

Pami

strictmomhere
by Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 7:24 PM
It's taken me 7 months I finally have a date sep6th hope you get yours soon
GypsyEyezNY
by New Member on Aug. 19, 2012 at 10:25 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting strictmomhere:

It's taken me 7 months I finally have a date sep6th hope you get yours soon

I GOT APPROVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My official surgery date is September 17th! YIPE!

Alex825
by Member on Aug. 27, 2012 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Thank goodness for The date of surgery. Waiting is always HELL. Congrats!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)