Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Whats your story? Please tell!

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi ladies,
  Seems that when most new comers join that haven't had the surgery yet, they are looking for encouragement threw knowing the process of the surgery and how it changed your life. I thought this would be a good thread to tell "your" story on! This is for people who have had the surgery allready. Please tell us from start till current what made you want to do the surgery, which one you had, how difficult it was(or easy!) for you and your family to make the decision. Please tell all, how it was after surgery, any complications, how you are doing today, how much you eat a day now, vitamins your taking, good and bad that has happened since surgery, it's a "tell all" of your surgery story! This could be so helpful for encouragement, calming pre-nerves, getting excited for whats to come!!  Please everyone join in and let us know your story!
Sherise
by on Mar. 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM
Replies (41-43):
DixieFlower
by on Jan. 1, 2012 at 5:19 PM

I have a blog that I kept up until 2006 that dealt with my surgery. DixieFlower's WLS blog

Sadly, this was a journal I had on AOL and when they stopped journals they gave us the option to transfer to a blog. The blog though didn't transfer all of my posts. My first posts dealing with my decision to have WLS were among those.

I decided to research RNY in 2002. It was after I had to go to the ER and I had my 4 yr old nephew with me. I was having problems breathing and I didn't have anyone to put him with. At the ER the nurses took him to the otherside of the curtain while they tended to me. In their efforts to distract him they were asking him different questions. One asked him what did he want to be when he grew up. He told them that he wanted to be a doctor. When asked why he said "so I can fix my auntie". It was at that point I needed to do something.

I did well with the weight loss until after I got married. I stopped exercising as much as well as started to "graze" on carbs. I then found out after my first pregnancy that I was extremely b12 deficient. It was so deficient that it affected my breastmilk and cause my son to be FTT. I am currently taking B12 injections since the sublinguals were not enough for me. 

syoumans77
by Member on Jan. 12, 2012 at 10:36 PM

Hi everyone :).  I'm Stephanie and I'm 34 years old.  I had my gastric bypass September 28, 2009.  At that time I was 31, severely diabetic (I was taking insulin 4 times a day) and 350lbs.  The recovery the week after the surgery was the hardest thing I've ever gone through (I'd rather give birth again, and I my epidural didn't work, so I basically did it all naturally).  My surgery was on a Monday and I couldn't drink anything until Friday.  Nothing would go down, even the dye for the xray after the surgery.  As of June 2010, I was down to 218 (down 130 lbs!).  Believe it or not, I got pregnant in May of 2010, just as I was getting used to my new size 18 jeans, lol.  I only gained about 20 lbs while pregnant.  6 weeks before she was due, my beautiful daughter, Samantha, was born (the day after Christmas).  I went back down to about 225 really quickly after giving birth.  But silly me, I started taking the Depo shot.  Now a year after giving birth, I'm up to 250.  I didn't realize that the shot was doing this to me until after I got my last dose.  Needless to say I'm not getting another one (I'm due the beginning of February) and switching back to the bc pill.  Hopefully just switching will help with the weight coming back off.  I'm looking forward to talking to everyone here in this group!

Pamq
by on Aug. 29, 2012 at 9:36 AM

Hello everyone,

I had my gastric bypass surgery on July 31st.  So far I have lost almost 30 lbs. At first the only trouble I had was taking my RX meds and supplements by crushing and dissolving in a little water. I gagged so much I thought for sure I wasn't able to do it.  A friend told me to suck it up which I did and its gotten better. I am only having a problem taking my restless leg medicine which makes me very nauseous and I get to where I am going to throw up but its mostly dry heaves.  Now I am having trouble getting in all the food and protein drinks I am supposed to be getting.  I have not been hungry at all and can barely get a few bites of pureed food in before I feel full. My paperwork says I am supposed to get 70 grams of protein per day which I am not getting at all.  My one month check up is tomorrow and I hope I get help from my doctor as to what to do. There is no support group near me so I am hoping to get some help here on this group. Thanks for listening.

Pam

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)