Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Post-op pregnancy?

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM
  • 8 Replies
  • 227 Total Views

Hey all! I'm just wondering if anyone of you has had a post-op pregnancy? It's a little early yet, I'm not even a whole year out yet, but my DH and I are thinking about trying in August for #2. How does this work? And, I've been trying to look up books on the subject, but have had no luck. Any ideas?

by on Jan. 27, 2009 at 12:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 1:15 PM

I don't know when your surgery date is or what surgery you had, but I believe most surgeons who do RNY suggest that patients wait 18mths before trying to get pregnant.

by Member on Jan. 27, 2009 at 3:48 PM

That's why, in my post, you'll notice I said we'd not start trying till August.

by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 4:50 PM

I am still not the 18 months post op. I will be trying as soon as I am released. I found a really helpful website. where they have a pregnancy forum that is awesome. Check it out

Brooke- Mom to Alex age 7, wife to Sean for almost 10 years!

by New Member on Jan. 28, 2009 at 6:02 PM

Hello, I am new and this is my first post on here. I got pregnant with my ds when I was 16 months out. He was a suprise and my first. The pregnancy was normal. I suggest when you get pregnant, that you want to find a doctor that has had experience with Gastric Bypass because there is more lab work that needs to be done and needs to be done often. My son is now 2 1/2 and as active that a 2 1/2 yo can be. I hope this helps.. Jessica

by on Jan. 28, 2009 at 6:11 PM

My doctor says no pregnancy for 2 years!

by New Member on Jan. 29, 2009 at 11:59 AM

Hey there! I've not logged on it almost 2 years!! I know, I know, horrible of me. I had RNY almost 9 years ago and have since had 2 kids. So I can tell you anything you want to know about mine.

First, you know to wait 2 years. I did. Second, your babies will be a little smaller. Not so small as to worry about low birth weight, and I don't know the real reason behind it, but my doctor said that for some reason our babies are smaller. Mine were 5lbs7oz and 5lbs14oz.

Third, you will have to pay close attention to your nutrition to make sure you're getting everything the baby needs. I gained 20lbs with my first and lost 25 before my 6 week check up. I gained 25 with my second and lost 25 by my 6 week check up. My kids are 2 years apart. Both kids were perfectly healthy just a little small. And really, when you think about it, you're gonna be delivering them then carrying them around for at least a year, have them small and let them grow out here. :)

Fourth, you can NOT take the glucose test they will want you to take. Make sure your doctor knows this, it won't give an accurate reading and it will make you feel miserable. Can we say dumping everyone? Try, oh, no, don't try it. Rather, imagine drinking a bottle of sugar. Ick.

Fifth, don't toss all of your heavy clothes. I never looked pregnant, even the day I delivered my second. And I didn't really have to wear maternity clothes, although I did because I wanted to, darn it. But I wore my "fat" jeans and put a belt on with them. They were more comfotable, anyway.

I think that's all the advice I have right now.  If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

by Member on Jan. 30, 2009 at 7:49 AM

i was 16 months out and am now almost 3 months pregnant. i was sick the first couple months. hoping for a girl. i have a dr that has experience in gastric. We were not planning hubby vasecetomy did  not work. i can not answer a lot of ???/ as i am new to this always katena

by Member on Feb. 7, 2009 at 12:39 AM

Great advice guys! Anything else you can think of would be appreciated. I am interested in the lower birthweight comment. My DD was 10 lbs 6 oz (NOT gestational diabetes!) I am curious to see what MY lower birth weight baby would be! HA!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)