Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dumping syndrome? I am a sugar-aholic!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 301 Total Views

Thanks much for the replies to my first post on here. I am thrilled to see so many of you took the time to read my long post and help me out! I apologize for my long posts..I can never seem to sum things up in a paragraph! Anyway I read the reply about no cookies due to high sugar content and dumping syndrome. Now I heard a little about this..is this when you get like diarrhea, vommitting, nausea and extreme fatigue? I know it must effect everyone differently but what is the norm? I am not that big into cookies or cakes..except for birthday's of course. However my 2 worst things I eat now are chocolate(prefer dark but will eat any) and ice cream. I know..big No NO's on a GB patient's post op diet. I can not imagine having the surgery coming home and seeing this in my freezer or whatnot and not be like damn I wanna eat that! I work in a small office and we have food alot too there. I know it takes will power..but you are saying I will not even have desire for the food? Is it because of how I'd feel if I ate it? Sorry, I am just concerned about these things and when I tried to talk with the doc about it..he seemed hesitant about the surgery cause I guess he felt maybe I didn't understand enough. I have done all the research..but what I am asking for is real people-patient's experience with this. And what about the anesthesia. I know everyone is nervous about this part..but how did you get over the fear of "going under". Any thoughts are really appreciated..thanks again!

Kristen & Aiden (6-18-04)

Strong and capable single mom..doing my best!  have a good night

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
qtmomof2
by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 9:28 PM

Yes, that is what dumping is - diarrhea, stomach cramps, fatigue, "hot flashes" or the sweats.

You might be able to eat sweets again  ...at some point. Not RIGHT after surgery. In place of ice cream you could do something sugar free or even frozen yogurt. I've seen all kinds of funky little protein shakes people are coming up with.

I have no desire to eat most days. I eat because I have too and it's time to eat. I easily forget like when I'm out running errands. By the time I'm done getting my proteins in I'm not even thinking about a snack - which before surgery would of been cookies, chips, ice cream, etc. There is no room for a snack!

I'd be lieing if I said I wasn't licking my lips at my daughters bday party when I was cutting the cake. But I know cake will cause dumping and it's a waste of calories that I don't need.

As for anaesthesia, you can ask for something before surgery to calm you down. I've had 7 surgeries and it doesn't get easier in my opinion. It's a freaky feeling but well worth it when you wake up and a new life has begun. Before my Bypass, they put something in my IV and it made me loopy. He called it a "cocktail" LOL! I was feeling damn good. Before I knew it was in the OR, they were rubbing my arms, and off to sleep I went. 

Ma2JennaB
by on Mar. 9, 2009 at 2:26 AM

You will eventually learn how to make your version of all the things you used to eat.  Splenda will be your best friend LOL!

Mommy to  Wife to

Mommy to Fur Babies:  Ringo and Gabby the Cats and New Baby Jackson the Shih Tzu

"Children are likely to live up to what you believe of them."

Send the man you love out into the world everyday, alive with the belief that he can slay dragons

Visit my Blog at: http://ma2jenna.wordpress.com/

Kepora
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:00 AM

Everyone reacts differently.... but once you dump on something you may never want it again!

I can eat small amounts of dark chocolate with no problems (14 months post op) BUT I wish at this point that I didn't know that! It really is best if you can avoid sugar altogether. In the long run you will be glad you did. My g/f who also had the surgery a few years ago, eats dark chocolate daily with out issue ..........OTHER than she has gained back most of the weight!!!

I have had two serious dumps (thought I was going to die!) 1st is uncooked dairy......I became lactose intolerant after surgery and 2nd of all things... teriyaki chicken! I have had minor dumps with good and plenty candy, baked potato, sour dough bread and too much regular white bread. Milk chocolate now upsets my stomach but I haven't dumped and simply gave it up in for dark only. I can also drink cocoa with no issue! But a simple glass of  milk will make me feel terrible!

If I never even see teriyaki chicken again it will be too soon! I have zero desire for milk and have learned to really be cautious with bread and potatos.

Truthfully I wish more things made me sick! I wish I had not tested the water as I am paying the price now with reduced weight loss! The smaller you get the harder it is to lose the weight and the more cautious you have to be of your diet to keep losing. I wouldn't crave dark chocolate if I had simply stayed away from it in the first place! Carbs are necessary for brain health. You should get at least 35 grams a day.........but the more carbs you eat, the more you crave! They are the evil of diets as they CAUSE the cravings. Our surgery initially cuts out most carbs as we can't eat at first. Being de-carbed is a state we should strive to stay in if you can!

Smilzsomuch
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 6:08 AM

Just want to thank you for your posts, Kepora. I always find something helpful in your posts. Appreciate it!

Quoting Kepora:

Everyone reacts differently.... but once you dump on something you may never want it again!

I can eat small amounts of dark chocolate with no problems (14 months post op) BUT I wish at this point that I didn't know that! It really is best if you can avoid sugar altogether. In the long run you will be glad you did. My g/f who also had the surgery a few years ago, eats dark chocolate daily with out issue ..........OTHER than she has gained back most of the weight!!!

I have had two serious dumps (thought I was going to die!) 1st is uncooked dairy......I became lactose intolerant after surgery and 2nd of all things... teriyaki chicken! I have had minor dumps with good and plenty candy, baked potato, sour dough bread and too much regular white bread. Milk chocolate now upsets my stomach but I haven't dumped and simply gave it up in for dark only. I can also drink cocoa with no issue! But a simple glass of  milk will make me feel terrible!

If I never even see teriyaki chicken again it will be too soon! I have zero desire for milk and have learned to really be cautious with bread and potatos.

Truthfully I wish more things made me sick! I wish I had not tested the water as I am paying the price now with reduced weight loss! The smaller you get the harder it is to lose the weight and the more cautious you have to be of your diet to keep losing. I wouldn't crave dark chocolate if I had simply stayed away from it in the first place! Carbs are necessary for brain health. You should get at least 35 grams a day.........but the more carbs you eat, the more you crave! They are the evil of diets as they CAUSE the cravings. Our surgery initially cuts out most carbs as we can't eat at first. Being de-carbed is a state we should strive to stay in if you can!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)