Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Protein Shakes

Posted by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 12:46 PM
  • 21 Replies
  • 595 Total Views
Hey is there anyone that has a GOOD protein shake, I want to give up meats, but find that I can't find a protein shake that I like. Any suggestions would be great. I tried putting orange juice with it to supposedly taste like a dreamcicle...NOT....anyway Thanks in advance for the suggestions
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 12:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
justoneson
by Member on Apr. 7, 2007 at 4:58 PM
When in doubt I fall back on ProComplex at GNC.  But I got the Body Fortress 100% Whey Protein drink at Walmart right now I like that as well (chocolate).  I NEVER mix them with juice as they tend to disappoint.  But I will mix up vanilla with crushed ice, water and frozen strawberries  or bananas or whatever and maybe a little Equal.

Why do you want to give up meat?
eerye70
by on Apr. 7, 2007 at 10:25 PM
I liked the protein drink at my area Vitamin Shoppe, called Isopure. It comes in fruit flavors and is a bit like high end gatorade. Best served ice cold over ice.  I also got Promod from my surgeon's office and it can be added to anything. It is no flavor and no texture. I had a real hard time after surgery, cause the average protein drinks were too sweet for me and the other ones were too gritty and made me choke. I also added extra powdered milk to regular milk and that helped alot. I am working towards transitioning off meat again myself so i am eating the Boca hamburger, and sausage and also, silken tofu can be added to milk and fruit for a great shake. Good luck!
ibdeb424
by Group Owner on Apr. 8, 2007 at 4:19 AM
Thanks guys I will try them...I want off meat because my stomach still has a hard time with digesting it, so I eat very little anyway. Can't eat too much meat, but I can sure eat a chip or a sweet. I am getting scared, thinking I might have to have the surgery again because I gained 10 pds....so I guess I am scrambling to do anything to start losing again. But part of me thinks it has been too long and I have already stretched my stomach out again. I still can't eat big portions again but it still scares me...Thanks for listening.
eerye70
by on Apr. 8, 2007 at 9:07 PM

Does your surgeon have a nutritionist on board? The one thing my doctor stressed to me over and over was to call them asap if i started to gain weight, to not wait until i had gained too much weight or gotten discouraged and went back to old ways. Don't wait til you feel bad about yourself. It is gonna be okay, just hang in there and take control.  I never had the problems with the meat, but i have friends who did. What about potted meat or tuna or chicken salad or egg salad? I swear i have tons of egg salad to give away.  Good luck and hang in there! 

ibdeb424
by Group Owner on Apr. 9, 2007 at 12:26 AM
I can eat very little of any kind of meat even tuna, potted etc. And I get heartburn or reflux so bad whenever I eat or drink. I am just a mes....lol
cyndeg123
by New Member on Apr. 10, 2007 at 10:20 PM
I love Unjury!!  I have been using it since prior to my surg in 10-05.  The chocolate is great in coffee!!
justoneson
by Member on Apr. 11, 2007 at 12:53 AM
I use protein shakes in the a.m. 'cause I usually cannot tolerate solid food then.  Meat is a tricky issue.  I cannot order meat when we go out 'cause the usu. cook it to dry for me.  I can no longer eat chicken breasts but can eat thighs.  I can east steaks but only when my husband cooks this special kind of strip steak.  Can't eat salmon (which we loved to grill) 'cause it's too oily an don't like many other fish, so resort to shrimp and boiled crawfish when in season.  Speaking of interolerance, my husband and I can no longer eat pasta or rice unless we cook it.  Al dente is no longer our friend.  All that being said, I did gain some weight back after about a year, but for the past 2-3 years have basically been the same weight -/+ 5lbs.  Recently I had a weight loss which I think is triggered to a change in eating.  Protein shakes in the a.m.  Instead of a formal lunch I have a mid a.m. snack and then an early afternoon snack.  Then I graze/taste while making dinner.  I have a small dinner.  Seems to be working and I am making sure I get in fruits, veggies and protein.

Well, good luck to all.  I am gonna look up some of the aforementioned protein drinks.
ibdeb424
by Group Owner on Apr. 11, 2007 at 9:34 AM
Thanks everyone for the input. I think I am slipping because of emotional issues going on in my home. Playing the blame game I think, but nonetheless. The only meat I can really tolerate is chciken, thighs and legs, which is okay with me. I am just so frustrated I guess so my solution is to not eat anything. We all know where that goes. I am not an avid fan of breakfast so I don't eat, then I get hungry around 2:00 and instead of eatting a healthy luch I grab chips or something, then IF I cook a meal I end up eatting some of the veggis and that it, then around 11:00 pm or so I get hungry so I eat something, something usually unhealthy. I don't know how to get off this cycle. I work a graveyard shift so my dinner hour is 11 pm but one good thing about work is that I work in a plant and walk about 10 miles a night in a 12 hr shift. But thats only 3 nights a week. My sleep cycles are screwed up and my eatting is screwed up, and now there is stress unbelievable at home and at work. Where do you guys find the strength to do right? I don't want to give up the fight, but I feel like I am at a critical place right now and can swing either way. Either binge binge binge or just give up food all together. I feel like it wouldn't matter either way, nobody would notice or care. Wow today isn't a good day.
I hope yours is better
eerye70
by on Apr. 11, 2007 at 10:33 AM
I couldn't tolerate anything for breakfast. So all i had for breakfast was two string cheeses. THat is like 14 grams of protein.  THen at lunch i just had like the tuna or chicken salad. I can usually eat half a sandwhich only. I kept some peanuts or almonds at my desk or in a ziplock baggie and that was my snack anytime i needed it.  I usually cook dinner at my house, and i really am blessed that i can eat just about anything i want, i dont eat very much and that is , i am sure the secret to that for me. I cook spaghetti or chili or chicken or whatever and I am soo so guilty of not eating all the protein at once. I like to eat a bite of everything and keep rotating. I get bored just eating the meat. So i am sure at the end, i am not getting enough protein. But I try...  I do have a problem with my blood sugar bottoming out at night. I am not diabetic, but my hubby is, so i was feeling horrible at 9-10 pm each nite. so i decided to check and my blood sugar was 62 and once when i thought i would faint, it was a low low 42. So now i eat a snack at 8 pm each and every nite without fail. I usually eat mandarin orange slices in lite juice cups. It seems to do the trick for me. It is crazy how important food is in my life. I try not to make it the focus, but it creeps up there often enough. For me, planning keeps the munchies at bay, i keep the nuts or string cheese at work and munch on them and that way if i dont eat much at dinner, i ate good stuff during the day. Good luck!
itsmemel
by on Apr. 13, 2007 at 9:10 PM
I am 4 years post op and down 200#. In all of my searching and litterally hundreds of dollars spent.... UNJURY is by far the best. Good luck ladies!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN