Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intorduce your self

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2008 at 9:48 AM
  • 14 Replies
  • 290 Total Views
Hello all I am Kelly and I love organic living! There...phew...what a first step!

I am a sahm of 2 ages 3 and 6, and I am trying to raise them "chrunchy" in a "non crunchy" world. I am not the perfect organic person, but I figure what ever little steps I can make are all the better for thier world. My daughter and I are vegetarians, and my son is a vegatarian who eats chicken if you ask him lol he is 3. I live to garden, I love to put up jams and jellies, and I buy organic when the budget allows.

I live in upstate NY, in a little house with a little yard that I try to make the most of. I get bi-weekly deliveries of organic produce and love my box. I am converting to more organic cleaners everyday, I recycle and reuse all I can.

by on Feb. 1, 2008 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shayne
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2008 at 10:02 AM
I am Shayne and I live just outside of Detroit and I dream about the warm months and what I am going to plant in my little raised beds.  I buy many thing organic but I am starting to feel that organic is too often large commercial farms so my goal for 08 is to find small family uncertified, we do it for the love of it, farms to get my groceries.  I have already found my pork  and egg suppliers.  I am also planning to can and freeze this summer so that I have Michigan produce year round.  I have a feeling these are lofty goals but I have faith that I can at least put a dent in what I buy.

Shayne
www.fruitcakeornuts.blogspot.com
rylarosewood
by New Member on Feb. 1, 2008 at 11:00 AM
Hello, I'm not in New England, but am hoping to find motivation here to have a garden this year. We are in Tennessee, I'm not sure of our soil content and we have terrible moles. I will probably do a raised garden. We are a family of three, so I feel I can handle a garden that size. As far as organic goes, I try to get organic produce that doesn't have a thick protective skin. Our neighbor sprays his yard with chemicals almost weekly in the spring and summer, I will be concerned about that getting into my garden. My intentions are good, I sure hope to get a garden going this year. We are going to try to get involved in a community garden, here is what gave us the idea to follow through with that. www.foodsecuritypartners.org Nice to meet you
mmoleader
by Group Owner on Feb. 1, 2008 at 12:27 PM

Quoting rylarosewood:

Hello, I'm not in New England, but am hoping to find motivation here to have a garden this year. We are in Tennessee, I'm not sure of our soil content and we have terrible moles. I will probably do a raised garden. We are a family of three, so I feel I can handle a garden that size. As far as organic goes, I try to get organic produce that doesn't have a thick protective skin. Our neighbor sprays his yard with chemicals almost weekly in the spring and summer, I will be concerned about that getting into my garden. My intentions are good, I sure hope to get a garden going this year. We are going to try to get involved in a community garden, here is what gave us the idea to follow through with that. www.foodsecuritypartners.org Nice to meet you

Ohhh I wish we had a community garden I would so be into that!

officerswife17
by on Feb. 1, 2008 at 2:57 PM
Hey everyone!  I'm Ally.  We live on Long Island so we have a decent growing season but its never enough as far as I'm concerned.  My garden expands every year and luckily we have an acre so I have some room to spread out!!  LOL  DH shares my love of gardening and we are teaching the girls as well.  We started going organic about 2 yrs ago.  Its tough sometimes, we have no natural stores close.  So I spend a lot of $$ in gas driving but we do have a Wild By Nature that just opened up about 30 miles away so I go there all the time now.  Great produce and great meats.  Oh...and the best granola you've ever had!! LOL
We're not perfect and there's plenty of room for improvement but I'm trying where ever I can to substitute organic and go greener!! 
Nice to meet everyone!!
mmoleader
by Group Owner on Feb. 1, 2008 at 3:37 PM

Quoting officerswife17:

Hey everyone!  I'm Ally.  We live on Long Island so we have a decent growing season but its never enough as far as I'm concerned.  My garden expands every year and luckily we have an acre so I have some room to spread out!!  LOL  DH shares my love of gardening and we are teaching the girls as well.  We started going organic about 2 yrs ago.  Its tough sometimes, we have no natural stores close.  So I spend a lot of $$ in gas driving but we do have a Wild By Nature that just opened up about 30 miles away so I go there all the time now.  Great produce and great meats.  Oh...and the best granola you've ever had!! LOL
We're not perfect and there's plenty of room for improvement but I'm trying where ever I can to substitute organic and go greener!! 
Nice to meet everyone!!
you are such a kindred spirit!

gimmykissy77
by on Feb. 1, 2008 at 10:30 PM
We"ll I'm Jenn and so far the only mom in NE.LOL I am just now going organic. I would like to have an Organic Hydroponic Greenhouse. We have tried to garden and our soil is rich. However the moles skunks rabbits and deer enjoyed the buffet. We are rather earth friendly family. There is always room to improve so we are working our way organic.
officerswife17
by on Feb. 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM

Quoting gimmykissy77:

We"ll I'm Jenn and so far the only mom in NE.LOL I am just now going organic. I would like to have an Organic Hydroponic Greenhouse. We have tried to garden and our soil is rich. However the moles skunks rabbits and deer enjoyed the buffet. We are rather earth friendly family. There is always room to improve so we are working our way organic.

Oh...I hear you on that one!!!  We finally fenced our yard in a few years back as our land borders state lands with a very large deer population.  The fences help but what really helps are my two big doggies!!!!  Heeeheehee
On top of that the rabbits eat my lettuce...forget the strawberies...the poor kids were so upset last year about the bunnies eating their berries!! 
Does anyone else have a hedgehog problem???? those suckers are big and nasty and they even stand up to the dogs!  Grrrrrr  But we keep trying!!!!!
officerswife17
by on Feb. 2, 2008 at 11:04 AM

you are such a kindred spirit!

LOL   I was thinking the same thing when I read your original post.  It could've been me writing it!!! 
Where in NY do you live?  DH & I used to spend a lot of time up there hiking and camping before the kiddies came along!  We got engaged at a place called Auger Falls in Hamilton Cty.   We can't wait til the kids are old enough to get them outdoors hiking & stuff.
mmoleader
by Group Owner on Feb. 9, 2008 at 9:47 AM
we are in upstate NY just North of Syracuse. My kids are finally old enough to do their own hiking and we are palnning on a lot of camping trips this year. And my daughter is helping me plan our garden already! Lol she is such a tree hugger.

officerswife17
by on Feb. 10, 2008 at 11:15 AM
That's great.  I'd love to get back outdoors again.  We do day trips when we can but with a 3 & 5 yr old is still kinda tough.  Now I'm PG again so its even harder!!  Oh well...one of these yrs we'll get back into it!  LOL
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)