Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Power of the Praying Wife -Ch 1

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 126 Total Views

The Power of the Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian
Chapter 1: His Wife

Please share with us your favorite quote from this chapter; along with any other insightful thoughts you had.

by on Mar. 8, 2009 at 3:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
jhg374
by Member on Mar. 9, 2009 at 3:15 PM

I loved the section titled, "Shut up and pray!" hee hee hee.. need I say more??? LOL  YES! LOVE IT! The book of James says it SO accurately!! The tongue is the most powerful tool we have! It can bring death to someone or life! LITERALLY!!  And who do we tend to "lay it out to" more than the one we are the most comfortable with! And generally speaking.. at least in my case... the one who knows me better than any other human on earth and loves me anyways is my hubby! So he is the one I feel the most emotionally safe and comfortable with. Therefore it is so easy to allow words to come out of our mouths due to the "safe" factor, that might not necessarily come out to anyone else!

It is a wonderful reminder and habit to practice that instead of allowing our mouths to open, keeping them shut tight and just pray! And when we pray.. and I don't mean, "God CHANGE my husband" type prayer, rather praying FOR them on their behalf... we find our own frusterations, fears and anxiety leaving!

God is so good in stepping in our ours and our spouses behalf!

sweets719
by Group Owner on Mar. 12, 2009 at 12:47 PM

I had so many favorite parts in this chapter. I think this may be my favorite chapter in the whole book. It seemed to really address me and pointed out some changes that I need to make. But here are some of my favorite quotes:

"If you have resentment, anger, unforgiveness, or an ungodly attitude, even if there's good reason for it, you'll have a difficult time seeing answeres to your prayers....Sometimes wives sabotage their own prayers because they don't pray them from a right heart." -pg 25

" ' I'm not the one that needs changing here!' But God sees things we don't. ...He doesn't have to search long to uncover attitudes and habits that are outside His perfect will for us. ...This whole requirement is especially hard when you feel your husband has sinned against you with unkindness, lack of respect, indifference, irresponsibility, infidelity, abandonment, cruelty, or abuse. But God considers the sins of unforgiveness, anger, hatred, self pity, lovelessness, and revenge to be just as bad as any others.  Confess them and ask God to set you free from anything that is not of Him." -pg 27

"I don't even like him- how can I pray for him? Have you ever been so mad at your husband that the last thing you wanted to do was pray for him?....The first thing to do is be completely honest with God. In order to bereak down teh walls in our hearts and smash the barriers that stop communication, we have to be totally up front with the Lord about our feelings." -pg 30

I have found that being completely honest with God about how you feel is a very freeing thing to do. I knew that He wouldn't want me to be anger or bitter so I thought it was best that I tried to hide those feelings until I was able to get rid of them. The problem is I'm not able to get rid of anything apart from God. So instead of hiding me wrongful attitudes I eagerly take them to Him and tell Him that I understand this is not what You want for me, but I don't want to let it go. I want to stay mad because I think I have the right to. I know You tell me I don't, You'r word makes that clear but I still want to be bitter. Please take this away from me. Give me a new heart and a new heart attitude.

"I want all of you. You and me, forever, everyday." -The Notebook

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)