• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to Group. Think I May Have Some Form of Hypothyroidism. But not sure...

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM
  • 1 Replies
  • 254 Total Views

So, I am 28 yrs. old Mom of 3. I have several symptoms of hypothroidism which I realized after researching them online. My aunt (Mother's side) also suffered from it and apparently, I just discovered that my grandmother on my Dad's side also has a form of it as well. I am not sure if I do have it or not but I am planning on going to the Dr. to get blood tests done. I have had 3 Doctors mention I had slightly elevated results when they did my blood levels. First was when I was sick with a stomach flu about 10 years ago. But I didn't think anything of it. Then when I was pregnant with my second daughter, again the Dr, mentioned that I may want to see an endocrinologist because she said my levels were a bit elevated (not sure how that all works). I did call an endocrinologist to make an appt. but they would not see me because I was pregnant at the time. Then, this last pregnancy with my son last year, it was mentioned to me again. I put it off which is my fault. I know.

Some of what I am experiencing....

-ALWAYS tired and feel exhausted! If I did not set my alarm I could literally sleep 10-15 hours!!!! Seems to have gotten worse over the past few years. Thought it was stress.

-Feel depressed.

-Overweight! Big time. I am 5'2" tall and now weigh 225. I do not eat alot and sometimes skip meals. (Yes, I know that is bad). I gain weight VERY fast and I struggle to lose the weight. Have tried many many things.

-Have skin issues. Very dry scalp and get dry patches of skin on my face, elbows, and ankles.

-Have dry brittle hair which seems damaged and breaks easily.

-Muscles cramp and hurt at times. Like my fingers, lower back, and legs.

-Just feel tired and lazy all the time. I want to feel energized so I can do things with my kids and be normal. I am only 28 and feel much much older. frown mini Then sometimes I think... that maybe I am just fat and that is why I feel this way. So not sure anymore.

Anyone else having any of these symptoms? And for those who have been diagnosed with Hypothyroidism... does it sound like I may have this as well? Thanks for your help.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
organicole
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Sounds like it. If you have been told your levels are off and you have the symptoms, it's in your family, there are probably some issues with it. If your levels aren't bad, I wouldn't resort to synthetic thyroid right away. There are things you can do through diet and supplementation that can help you feel better. Dig through the threads on here and do some research on it. It takes work but you can change the way you are feeling.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)