Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I'm currently on Levothyroxine and thinking of switching to Synthroid. (If you're on Synthroid, please answer).

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM
  • 7 Replies
  • 578 Total Views

I got diagnosed with Hypothyroidism two years ago, and have been on 125mcg. Levothyroxine ever since. It hasn't seemed to do much good at all, in fact my symptoms have became worse over the past two years. I've heard a lot of women say that the Levothyroxine doesn't work near as well. Just a few days ago I got my thyroid levels checked again and they were even worse. Now I'm on 150mcg.

I have a few questions though.

My two biggest problems are weight gain and lethargy. I have all of the other symptoms but they're not as bad as these two.

So, I wanted to know how the Synthroid is working out in those areas, because the Levothyroxine is doing absolutely nothing for me. I've never had such a struggle with my weight, and feeling drained of energy.

Also, how much does it cost a month for your prescription to be filled?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 4:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
prBarbie
by on May. 26, 2010 at 8:02 PM

i cant tell u how much since i dont pay anything for my prescription. 

i was on Levothyroxine but now im on synthroid.  im pregnant now so i know i will be gaining weight.  but before pregnancy, i could lose weight if i exercised.  but since i luv food too much, i easily put on weight.  i had my levels checked every 6 wks to make sure i was at the right dosage.  ive been feeling good for the past yr on my dosage.  i know my dosage might change.  but i havent had any problems with synthroid.

skrawli
by on May. 27, 2010 at 12:26 AM

I was on Synthroid and it did help.  I also had to get on Cytomel which really helped.  But not enough for me.  I was still gaining weight and lethargic.  I have since switched but of the friends I have without a thyroid (about 4) they love Synthroid.  It works great for them and they are all back to normal and doing the day to day life thing.

Mine was $25 for each.  About $50 a month for them both.  It depends on where you go though.  I have since learned Walmart is cheaper then where I was going.

We may not have it all together but together we have it all.

reina80
by on Jul. 20, 2010 at 8:51 AM

I liked Synthroid better, honestly.  Getting my levels checked again but I don't think the Levo is doing anything for me.  The bad thing is I have Tricare and the military doesn't pay for brand name.  Synthroid isn't that expensive though.

momathrift
by Group Owner on Jul. 20, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Do you have insurance? When I didnt it cost me 30 a month. On BCBS its bout 20. But so worth it! I've lost 25 lbs since I switched from Lev to Synth. And feel 100xs better! Even my husband noticed

AJmama4
by on Jul. 23, 2010 at 9:34 PM

I'm not really sure...but I am thinking of switching too. I have been terribly fatigued.

oOlookakittyOo
by New Member on Jul. 27, 2010 at 6:22 PM

I'm new here, but not new to hypothyroidism.  I was diagnosed 4 years ago, and have several family members who are also extremely hypothyroid, like myself.

I have taken both, and neither one of them really worked for me.  They just took the 'edge' off of my symptoms.  But, with the combination of diet, exercise, and medication I feel much better.
I started a nutrient dense diet, it's a diet that is similar to Atkins, but you can have all the fruits and vegetables you want.  It is an excellent diet, it helps boost your metabolism, energy levels, and best of all it tremendously helps with weight loss.  I lost 20 lbs. in 30 days, combined with exercise, which is record for me! 

I paid, with and without insurance, around $22.00 for Synthroid.  I have found that the price may vary between pharmacies. 

HTH!

Sandyr911
by New Member on Dec. 27, 2010 at 4:22 PM

The Lev doesnt work as well for me and my Dr said its due to the fillers.  The synthroid works much better.  Im new here and im up to .175 and still dont feel "good".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)