Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

new and have questions

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM
  • 1 Replies
  • 129 Total Views

so i bet you get this a LOT.

i was just evaluated with a blood test that i have hypothyroidism. both my parents have it, so i expected i would too.

its pretty low, at a 6, so im looking at natural alternatives to maintain it, since i nurse and dont want to have my supply decrease. i go back in a couple months for another blood test to check levels. if its high, i'll be on meds (hopefully those safe for BFing).

so i was reading about doing yoga, taking iodine, etc. i also read about using coconut oil.

has anyone use coconut oil to help maintain it?

also, i LOVE broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, beans. i read those are bad and to stay away completely from one site. another one told me to stay away, but if eating them DOES happen, to have them cooked. what's correct?

also, i have a dairy intolerance. i was gonna go soy through wic, but soy is something to stay away from as well. if i get a drs note, would wic substitute for coconut milk or rice milk or something else?

anyone with alternative remedies, i would love your input as well.

I'm a pro-life, circing, bed sharing, no CIO, baby wearing, selective and delayed vaxing, sposie to cloth, breastfeeding, tattooed, pansexual, pierced, young, single mom.

by on Feb. 17, 2012 at 12:36 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
DejaVooDoo
by Member on Feb. 17, 2012 at 8:12 PM

I was told by a Naturopath that Vitamin D supplementation, along with Calcium, Magnesium Complex and a Multi-Vitamin - Including Iron and Zinc will help thyroid problems. I take all of these things, but also with synthetic thyroxine/T4 replacement. I found these help the absorption, along with cortisol replacement as I suffer from secondary hypothyroidism and not primary.

Regardless of whether it is primary or secondary, I was told these would all help. But I was warned not to go overboard with iodine. Too little iodine can cause hypo, too much iodine can cause the same effect. There are some reputable places online that have the correct ratio measured out of iodine to  help thyroid problems. 

I also drink coconut milk instead of cow or soy. 1 part coconut milk, to 2 parts water mixed makes it less fatty and a bit more palatable. It isn't the same as coconut oil, but it has the same properties. And coconut water is really good for you too, enhancing metabolism.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN