Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

thyroid vs pcos?

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM
  • 6 Replies
  • 522 Total Views

Ok so here the issue, I havent had my period for about 6 months. I am always fatigued, I get lower back dull pains, HEADACHES,my hair is getting very brittle, and my eyes are SO bright red and uncomfortable its insane.... ok first i thought the eyes and the rest of my symptoms were seperate, so last night i went to urgent care for my eyes cause they were botherin me so bad. First look, looks like i have pink eye, but no symptoms of pink eye and antibiotics drops dont work............she told me i need to get all these tests done on my blood. To check my pituitary gland and thyroid, see if its normal...........................I for one think i have signs of pcos. Both are so similiar in symtoms, any advice ladies?

by on Feb. 23, 2012 at 12:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
kjbugsmom1517
by Member on Feb. 23, 2012 at 11:55 PM
Thyroid symptoms mimic alot of disorders. I thought I was menopausal when I was dxed with hypothyroid. Only blood work ccan tell u for sure.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Torienslilmama
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2012 at 12:21 PM

thank u :) im going for blood work here in about a week, im very anxious to know whats going on with me......... 

Quoting kjbugsmom1517:

Thyroid symptoms mimic alot of disorders. I thought I was menopausal when I was dxed with hypothyroid. Only blood work ccan tell u for sure.

DejaVooDoo
by Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I have a condition called Sheehan's Syndrome which is basically pituitary infarct (death) as a result of pregnancy. It appeared as acute after birth of my kids, but is chronic as it is gradually destroying the whole anterior of my pituitary gland.

I have had no period for a year, and just started the pill to get the adrenals kicking to start creating DHEA again. So far - Huge fail regretfully. I get a massive sore back that spreads to the front low abs, but no Aunt Flo.

There are many reasons for lack of periods. Thyroid, adrenals, pituitary are all joined together and help to control sexual hormones. Your adrenals are your major control centre for DHEA, which creates estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. If your pit gland, adrenals, thyroid or all fall short then periods can stop indefinately.

Curiously enough, some hormonal deficiencies or overproduction can also cause PCOS and vice versa. So it is still worth getting the blood values done. Good luck and let us know how you go :)

Torienslilmama
by New Member on Mar. 5, 2012 at 5:17 PM

thank u, ive also noiced my sex drive is sooo slow :( my poor b/f.......................just another side affect im hating

Quoting DejaVooDoo:

I have a condition called Sheehan's Syndrome which is basically pituitary infarct (death) as a result of pregnancy. It appeared as acute after birth of my kids, but is chronic as it is gradually destroying the whole anterior of my pituitary gland.

I have had no period for a year, and just started the pill to get the adrenals kicking to start creating DHEA again. So far - Huge fail regretfully. I get a massive sore back that spreads to the front low abs, but no Aunt Flo.

There are many reasons for lack of periods. Thyroid, adrenals, pituitary are all joined together and help to control sexual hormones. Your adrenals are your major control centre for DHEA, which creates estrogen, testosterone and progesterone. If your pit gland, adrenals, thyroid or all fall short then periods can stop indefinately.

Curiously enough, some hormonal deficiencies or overproduction can also cause PCOS and vice versa. So it is still worth getting the blood values done. Good luck and let us know how you go :)

MrsNocke
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2012 at 3:53 AM
no since worrying untill you get your test results back... hang in there momma!
Meg_the_Mermaid
by Member on Mar. 13, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I have both PCOS and hypothyroid...and the symptoms are very similar. I was first diagnosed with PCOS and then years later I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. 

Try not to stress too much until your bloodwork comes back (or has it already?)...your doc can tell you more and you'll go from there. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)