Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello!

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2008 at 12:22 AM
  • 27 Replies
  • 1357 Total Views
I just wanted to say hello! I can't wait to get this started. I'm new to Hypothyroidism and I'd like to learn all I can. And connect to someone that understands what I am going threw.  Can't wait to meet you all!

Wife to Kelly

Mother to Gavin 

And Sadie

And 2 sweet angels in heaven

make money filling out surveys! http://www.cashcrate.com/480011

by on Feb. 7, 2008 at 12:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hopingforanange
by on Feb. 7, 2008 at 12:47 AM
Hi, So what is your story. I have had symptoms for the past six years. I have been gaining weight, dry skin, depression anxiety, achy muscles and joints. I have been told I have a chemical Imbalance. So they have been treating me like a person that has a chemical imbalance. Well I finally decided I was gonna have gastric surgury so they made me have my thryroid tested once again to get approval. Well surprise, surprise they finally figured out that I have hypothyroidism. It blows my mind I have been having symptoms for six years and if the doctor had even stopped to look at my symptoms and try to put them together they are all textbook symptoms of hypothyroidism. They should of sent me to an endocrinologist. Instead they kept waiting for the test to say I had it in the mean time I gained 110 pounds. Well I did some reading on it after I found out and It says that just because your levels say normal doesn't mean it is normal for you. That a lot of people have symptoms way before they are detected. It also said not to let your doctor just get you to the normal level and just say that you are fine because, as long as you are still having symptoms it might not be. They say endocrinologists have a lot more tests to make sure they are treating it right. Sorry if sound frustrated I just found out three days ago that I have it. I have had symptoms for 6 years and I thought I was just crazy. I have been going through an emotional roller coaster the last couple days. I have been happy because, they now know maybe they can fix me, Sad and scared because, what if they can't get it right will I always have these symtoms, Also if it gets bad enough it can even be fatal. I have also been angry because, it just seems like they should of been able to put 2 and 2 together and send me two an endocrinologist. I don't know how to feel yet. So what is your story. What symptoms do you have. How did you find out? You got lucky it looks as if they found out before you gained weight. Did you lose any weight after you started medicines. Sorry for my crankiness about it right now. I would really like to talk to someone else that has this too. I promise I am not usually cranky. So do you have depression and anxiety? Well I look forward to hearing from you. Love, Michelle
momathrift
by Group Owner on Feb. 7, 2008 at 1:54 AM
I actually started my symptoms when I was 13. I started to gain some weight. Had really heavy periods that put me in bed. Bad anxiety I felt sick and achy all the time. I looked pale my skin was always dry and cracking. I was always constipated. A couple years ago I had 2 miscarriages. The first one they weren't so worried about they just said I was young. I was a little confused because I had carried my son full term. Then 5 months later I had another. So I switched doctors because this time she said they don't worry til strike three and I didn't want a strike 3. So the new Dr. got me ready mentally and I got pregnant 6ms later was Really sick the whole time and delivered 5 weeks early. It is now exactly a year later (this Saturday) since I had my baby I have been bleeding since I gave birth. They had tried me on 4 birth controls and finally a nurse practitioner filling in for the Dr asked if I had ever had my thyroid checked. I looked at her with a big smile on my face and told her I had been trying to get someone to check it for years. 2 weeks later I get a call from the nurse who said my Thyroid was extremely under-active and I needed medication immediately. At that time I was on Zoloft which was not working. Now I have been taking med for my thyroid about 4 weeks. The last couple days I have started to notice a change. I am weening off Zoloft I feel happier. I'm still really tired and have body aches. ( They had thought first that I had rheumatoid arthritis then Lupus then they just said I was depressed) I have lost all my eyelashes and eyebrows. I started loosing them when I was 13 but I completely lost them with all pregnancies and they started coming back some but every time they started me on a new birth control I lost them again. I've had a hard time not having them...makes me feel unattractive. I've worked my butt off trying to loose weight I lost 20lbs in the last 3months. But normally I would have lost more with all the exercise and dieting. I am still 30lbs over weight and this is not normal for me from when I was younger. I pray that this med helps. I WANT TO FEEL NORMAL AGAIN! I'm just glad I found out that I'm not complaining for no reason. I know my husband is glad they finally found something too. It makes you feel really helpless and pathetic when they tell you you're depressed. Anyway I'm glad you found the group!

Wife to Kelly

Mother to Gavin 

And Sadie

And 2 sweet angels in heaven

make money filling out surveys! http://www.cashcrate.com/480011

lynne38uk
by New Member on Feb. 7, 2008 at 8:36 AM
hi iwas diagnosed with an under active thyroid about 24 years ago.i still dont know much about it but i gained weight ,felt tired all the time and have anxiety and depression,also i feel the cold a lot more than i used to.my youngest daughter has been diagnosed with under active thyroid too .she is 19 years old at the moment she has to go back to the doctor after her blood test also she is gaining weight again.just thought i would let you know it is confusing as they dont explain anything to you when they diagnose you just give you medication.so i would like to know more about it too.thanks
JarrettsMama
by on Feb. 7, 2008 at 3:43 PM
Hi, my name is Heather.  In 2002 I was diagnosed with cancer (Hodgkins Disease to be exact). I did 6 months (12 rounds) of chemo, then did a solid month of daily radiation. I beat it, I am cancer free (6 years this Halloween)! 

My husband and I after trying for 13 years, finally had a baby! He's 3 years old now.  I developed Gestational Diabetes while pregnant with him.  Of course, after I had him, it was gone.

It was right after I had my son that I was told that I have hypothyroidism.

I still don't know a whole lot about it myself. I know that I was gaining weight and was really sleepy. I just assumed it was because I was a new stay at home mom and that it was normal to feel that way.

I have been taking Levothyroxin now for 3 years. A pill every single morning. I don't mind it that I have to do it. I figure it's a small price to pay, considering that I once had cancer. I will take an under active thyroid any day.

I have not seen a doctor in over a year for my thyroid now, as I have had enough prescriptions to not have too. However, we don't live in Texas anymore and have been here in Albuqueruqe, have yet to see a new doctor. I made an appt for the 25th of this month to go see a new doctor and check on my thyroid. I feel fine, I am quite moody sometimes (I assume it's part of being a woman), but I don't know if my meds need to be adjusted accordingly since I am a year older or anything like that now.

I've been told that chemo and radiation can cause an under active thyroid. I don't doubt it, but I have yet to read up on that.

I think this will be a great group as we all try to figure this thing out :)
lisalam
by on Apr. 3, 2008 at 3:07 PM

Hi all.  I was diagnosed about 6 months ago.  For a long time I was having a ton of side effects but I also have PCOS, the side effects are similar.  It took me 7 longs years to conceive my beautiful girl and 17 months after see was born I had my son.  I was slowly gaining weight but just thought it was having 2 kids kinda close.  I have been taking synthroid now and have my levels checked about every 60 days.  My dose has been tripled since the beginning dose, so it is very important to have your levels checked.  Hoping to meet other people with some of the same symtoms, anxiety, losing hair,  difficulty losing weight.

Lisa Lamendola

mommyofbubba
by on Apr. 5, 2008 at 2:20 AM
Hi, my name is Christy and I am 26 years old.  I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism in Dec 05 after having my child in Sept of 05.  My doctor thought that I was having postpartum depression and I was treated with anti-depressants.  After weeks going by and my symptoms becoming rapidly worse, I was tested in the hospital and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's disease-- an auto immune disease that attacks the thyroid.  I currently take synthroid and have not had any problems since then until last Oct when I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes.  So I can be a walking pity party sometimes!!! I would love to have another child, but I am scared of everything going wacko again.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I pray the Lord blesses all us mommies with patience, empathy, strength, and a mommy time out!  

Christy

Sunshine201
by on Apr. 6, 2008 at 12:14 PM
Hi Just wanted to introduce myself...New to the group. I have been Hypothyriod for the last 8 years....When I was first diagnosed I was at the point where I felt like I was falling apart, I had absolutley no energy...couldnt climb steps without feeling winded by the time I reached the top! My hair was dry and brittle and I was exhausted all the time!! When my Dr told me I had Hypothyroid I was so upset, but at least I finally had some answers to the problem! My metabolisim was bearly working at all! I stared on Synthroid 88mcg and I started having more hair loss so...switched to levoxyll (not generic) and my hair got much better and I had so much more energy.I also take the vitamen Biotin for my hair which is no longer thin and brittle(yeah)Over the last couple years I have basically doubled my dosage to keep my levels normal, am on 200mcg presently.Although I feel better I have my days of course! I have so much trouble losing weight and if I do....It comes right back! Well ladies I am looking foward to talking with you all....Have a great day!
momtoonein06
by on May. 1, 2008 at 9:29 AM
Hi my name is Gale, I was diagnosed with hypothyroid June 05.  When they told me I said what are the symptoms, and I didnt have any of the symptoms they told me so how is it that I have hypothyroid.  I may have had one of all of them the weight gain but then again I lost 20lbs before I got pregnant.  Now I cant seem to lose the weight. 
BlurryEyedBlond
by New Member on May. 13, 2008 at 10:26 AM
Hi, I'm Kristin.  I was diagnosed Hypothyroid in October 2004, 6 months after my second child was born.  I dropped 15 pounds within weeks after his birth, then gained 22 back in a month.  My TSH was 99.5 when I was tested.  I got pregnant again in November after I started treatment, had my third child in August 2005, and now I weigh more than I did during any of my pregnancies.  I've asked my Internal Medicine doctor to try different medications, but since my TSH is "in range," she doesn't seem to want to change anything.  I'm still tired all the time, fat, and depressed.  I'm thinking of seeing Dr. Arem in Houston, Tx.  Does anyone know anything about him?  Or does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to help myself feel better?  I am currently taking Synthroid .112 mg.
leahluvs2scrap
by New Member on May. 19, 2008 at 9:09 PM
I was originally diagnosed when I was 17.  Got the radioactive iodine ablation at 18 and have had it since.  Been to many many many docs who didn't know what the heck they were doing and than finally found someone who did.  LOL, I've had it for about 8 years, and my levels are normal FINALLY.  But have done some massive research and now little things here and there to boost metabolism. 

My name is Leah and I'm 25, a SAHM, military wife, and been around here and there.  Currently I'm in Altus Oklahoma and am desperate to leave.  LOL.  Anyways, can't wait to hear what others have to say about hypothyroidism. 
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)