Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

just don't know what i can do

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:22 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 303 Total Views

Well i'm 21 and I had undiagnosed hypothyroidism for 4 years. During that time I packed on the wieght big time and I do mean big time. All the doctors I saw just keep telling me I need to get out and exercise and stop eating so much. Well with my thyroid I wasn't eating hardly anything I was to tierd to do anything also I kept comming home with terrible migrains.

Finally I went to a nurse practitioner and she looked at my chart and found my problem hypothyriodism they started me on a low dose and built it up but the damage was already done. I blame my hypothyroidism for loosing my first son at 37 weeks gestation but now have a 4 month old. So far I have been working my butt off to loose the wieght and it won't go anywhere I'v even considered wieght loss surgery but after how rude the doctor was to me decided to do it on my own.

But the wieght is still sticking around. I'v stayed away from sugers unless its a special occasion. It's still there everywhere.

by on Feb. 13, 2009 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Sailor
by Member on Feb. 14, 2009 at 1:00 AM

I am so sorry about your baby, I can't even imagine.  I hope your new little one is doing well.  I posted this in a different thread, but hope it helps a little.

I have friends in a hypo group that are on 900 cal a day diets, with exercise and are still gaining!

I didn't want to do that, it just seemed crazy to me!  I'm sticking to the South Beach Diet with a few changes to suit me and my life. I feel better, the weight isn't melting off or anything (I am losing, but it's slow), but I certainly feel better.  Sugar is my enemy! 

There is also a lifestyle diet called "potatoes not prozac" that gives great suggestions for weaning yourself of sugar as if it were a drug.  For anyone with depression symptoms with your hypo, it is very encouraging.  The book explains very well how sugar can be defeating all your efforts to get better.  I use the concepts from this diet as well but skip the potato part.

I also try to avoid caffeine and artificial sweeteners except for Splenda.  I've heard people talk about Stevia, but have never tried it.  I also avoid all soy products.  I really concentrate on getting my 8 glasses of water a day.  It helps tremendously and has been great for my skin.

I do light weight lifting and elliptical trainer a couple of times a week...I am trying to work myself up to more, but with the fatigue, you know how it goes.  But at least I feel well enough to do it at all!

Update

Since January 1 I have lost 10 lbs.  I cannot lose weight as fast as my friends but I am losing and that is what matters to me.  The craving for sugar have decreased and I can even allow myself a little chocolate now and then without derailing myself.  I have learned that sugar throws off my hormones a ton!  So taking it out of my diet, along with refined foods, has helped a lot.  It hasn't been easy, but it's a start.  I was headed toward type 2 diabetes fast.  I have to do this for my family and myself.

Drop me a line if you want to talk.

pink ribbon girl giving flowerboy kissing mommoms rock

BttrMom0407
by on Feb. 14, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I also had undiagnosed hypothyroidism for 5 years, that's why I wasn't getting pregnant. But anyway, what I found to help was a low carb diet. The summer before getting pregnant with my daughter I did this and lost 17lbs in 2 months. Then I started the diet again last year and have lost 25lbs and I still have about another 10lbs that's dragging on me, lol.....I fell of the low carb train and haven't had the motivation. Anyway, that's what works for me. Good luck!

BELLABABY11
by on Feb. 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM

theres alot of good books out there that can help you with thyroid related weight loss....info on supplements, meal plans, etc.

heres a couple books i have been reading:

'the hypothyroid sourcebook'  by M. Sara Rosenthal

'what your doctor may not tell you about hypothyroidism'  by Ken Blanchard, M.D.,Ph.D.with Marietta Abrams Brill

i have another book too by Mary J. Shomon....she actually has hypothyroidism and wrote books about it.

hope this helps you and i wish you all the luck:)

-BELLABABY11 (ERIN)...and group owner of 'ARTSY MOMMY'

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)