Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Base or buy a house?

Posted by on May. 16, 2009 at 8:47 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 261 Total Views

Poll

Question: On Base or Off Base

Options:

On

Off

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 2

View Results

I will be living with my husband, artillery, if he gets stationed in the states  should we live on base or save up and purchase a house in the area?

by on May. 16, 2009 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
jttigerbaby
by New Member on May. 17, 2009 at 11:51 AM

Well, we bought a house at Fort Gordon, and we are currently renting it out. That was the only time we have lived off base, and we are debating what to do with it right now. The girl that is renting it is PCSing next year.

If you can get a mortgage payment that is affordable, and afford all your utilities on your BAH, it can be good. We actually made 150 a month by buying our house.

A 30 minute webcast can change your life!
Michelle Beaver
jttigerbaby@yahoo.com
homepage: http://www.freedomunitedteam.com/MB14337

armymommy2be818
by on May. 23, 2009 at 7:09 PM

my husband and i rent an apartment off post because we need the extra money that bah gives us. we might move on post when we pcs to the next duty station but we are still discussing that.

in loveits a girl

olivia_yvonne's mommy2be

dawnshorizon
by on May. 25, 2009 at 3:49 AM

Honestly it depends on the base housing itself on that installation. The base housing here at Fort Ord, CA is very sub-standard.  As an E4, living off base here would NOT  save us any money. However, the upper enlisted can pocket a couple hundred dollars. In Georgia, where we used to live, we made money on our BAH by buying a house of our own. So, really, you have to look into the market in the area and see the base housing there.

prBarbie
by on May. 31, 2009 at 6:45 PM

i like living offpost.  onpost, we would get a 2 br, and the truth is, i have way too much stuff.  and then the housing would take a few mths cause of the waiting list, so i just perfer to stay put.  plus, we get alittle extra from the bah to pay bills.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)