• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Night Terrors

Posted by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 251 Total Views
Anybody know how to help your child... Starra has night terrors once or twice a month but Ally has them nearly every night...

She's either Eyes closed Screaming/whimpering or she has her eyes wide open unfocused Screaming yelling and whimpering...

When Starra developed them we cut out Scary movies, if we want to watch something that may be questionable we try to watch it either after they've gone to bed or before 3pm so that they have a few hours before bedtime (and if it turns into something that is definitely not something for them to watch it gets changed immediately.

When they occur we go into their room and sit near them but usually not touching them because it often just makes it worse. Ally's are usually so bad that we can't even do that much. We watch to make sure she doesn't hurt herself but it's scary. We'll speak to them in a low soothing voice and try to help but you really can't. And you can't wake them up either which is why we don't bother picking them up, instead of soothing it causes them more terror.

Night Terrors are the worst because I can't comfort them when they are having one and there have been a few times when they've actually lashed out at us.

Night Terrors appear to run in my family but I really wish I could help my DDs calm down. If anyone has any suggestions at all I'd appreciate it.

~TTFN~

baby

baby

by on Jul. 28, 2009 at 9:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
djemMama0725
by on Aug. 16, 2009 at 8:21 PM

my dd has them too, she doesnt only have them at night either, she has them during the day during her naps sometimes. she is completely unconsolable. she will cry and scream to the point of her being sick. it really sucks. i feel so helpless sometimes, and i feel really bad for her mostly. my mom says i used to get them too. and my husband has bad nightmares. i try to watch for anything that might trigger onc.  loud noises seem to cause emilys. she holds her ears and shakes during thunderstorms and almost goes into a panic attack.  i would continue to do what you are doing, console her the best you can. if they get worse i would consult your pedi. to get some further direction on the matter. good luck mama.

" There will be an answer, let it be......" --Paul McCartney

mustangmoma
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2009 at 7:58 AM

Hey, hang in there. My oldest is going to be 10 tomorrow and she had them so badly. I thought I'd never get through it. They were horrible. All I could do is sit and watch to make sure she didn't hurt herself. Then my son came along and no night terrors, he sleep walks. It is just as horrible. Now I have an 18mo and a few weeks ago the night terrors started. So far they have not been that bad, but really is there such a thing as a not bad night terror? I can only say "hang in there".

mango563
by on Dec. 31, 2009 at 2:42 AM

My DD used to get night terrors alot. One thing that seemed to help prevent them was to make sure she wasn't to warm at night. I know how awful it is to see your little one like that and not feel like you can help, but being there for them is helping alot.

Tempest41
by on Jan. 12, 2010 at 1:19 PM

My eldest seems to be outgrowing them, she's having nightmares but not terrors (knock on wood). My youngest has been having them with increasing frequency, hers worry me more though because she will actually get out of her bed and wander around he room, I'm glad I cut her door in half and put a latch on it, especially since her room is at the top of the stairs.

The Night terrors they are very disconcerting and you feel utterly helpless but even knowing how utterly helpless I feel about them, it makes me feel better to make sure that they are safe even if I can't do any more then sit in their room on the edge of their bed till it passes..

~TTFN~

baby

baby

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)