Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Don't forget to count fiber that = your net carbs

Posted by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 9:27 AM
  • 6 Replies
  • 528 Total Views
I am so bad about forgetting to minus out the fiber content in my total carb count. 

For those that don't know how to get your net carb, it's easy.

Carb content - Fiber = Net Carb

Let's say your total carb count on the package is 10   and the fiber count is 5. That leaves you with a net carb of  5.  Fiber digests slower and doesn't stick around too long to raise up blood sugars.  Gotta love the fiber.
by on Mar. 23, 2007 at 9:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
swingermom
by on Apr. 3, 2007 at 2:14 PM
I agree.... got to love that fiber!!!
BarbaraJane
by on May. 31, 2007 at 8:24 AM
Does that count for all fiber?  Sometimes it is listed as "dietary fiber" and sometimes just "fiber."  Is there a difference between the two?

Also, you deduct "sugar alcohol" too.  Like if you have a sugar free candy bar and the carb is 27 but the sugar alcohol is 24 then the net carb is just 3.

However, I should warn you to not take that as a free ticket to load up on the sugar free sweets because if you do you will have EXPLOSIVE bowel movements.  LOL  Sorry for being so graphic, but it really is true.  So if you are really craving some chocolate, just remember that little tidbit of advice.  LOL

Barbara Jane
rawatki
by on Jun. 6, 2007 at 1:29 PM
Dietary fiber counts just the same as "regular" fiber, it's the same thing. Sugar alcohol does not count toward your net carbs but what you said about it having a laxitive effect is VERY TRUE. No quicker way to cleanse your colon out... Plus if you're following Atkins, he suggests not using sugar alcohols your first 2 weeks, because whenever you metabolize any type of alcohol, even no-carb alcohol, it temporarily halts your ketosis.
grammieofsix
by on Jul. 14, 2007 at 12:38 PM
do you take out sugar alcohol too? my daughter does this when she counts carbs.
MamaLauri
by on Nov. 29, 2007 at 12:07 PM
Sugar alcohols are subtracted from diabetics glucose index, because they are absorbed very slowly so don't cause a rapid rise in blood sugar. But they are mostly digested so they count as carbs and calories (very empty calories).

Fiber comes in 2 flavors: soluble fiber and insoluble fiber.

Insoluble fiber is bulk, and is good for you.

Soluble fiber is the really healthy stuff  which reduces cholesterol, trap pre-carcinogens, and slow absorption of sugars helping to keep blood sugars level. Need 5–10 gm/day, preferably, 10–25 gm/day of soluble fiber.

Most fiber in foods is insoluble fiber.  Currently foods don't report how much they have of each.

If people are interested, I'll post my list.  

texann
by on Apr. 17, 2008 at 12:15 AM

Quoting MamaLauri:

Sugar alcohols are subtracted from diabetics glucose index, because they are absorbed very slowly so don't cause a rapid rise in blood sugar. But they are mostly digested so they count as carbs and calories (very empty calories).

Fiber comes in 2 flavors: soluble fiber and insoluble fiber.

Insoluble fiber is bulk, and is good for you.

Soluble fiber is the really healthy stuff which reduces cholesterol, trap pre-carcinogens, and slow absorption of sugars helping to keep blood sugars level. Need 5–10 gm/day, preferably, 10–25 gm/day of soluble fiber.

Most fiber in foods is insoluble fiber. Currently foods don't report how much they have of each.

If people are interested, I'll post my list.

I definitely want your list.  Thanks

Not only will you get the 'maltitol effect' but you will become highly sensitive to it.  I bought a candy bar once with the Splenda logo on it because I could no longer handle the sugar alcohols.  I didn't see that it was only partially Splenda and the rest was maltitol.  I was suffering before we got from the parking lot to the freeway.  I didn't think I would make it back home.
Now I can have one piece every several hours, but no more than maybe three little piece per day.  Way to learn portion control!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)