Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New here and first time relactating!

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 803 Total Views

I had EBF my YDD for the first 2 1.2 months. then i had surgery and got sick after that with complactions. i never knew about relactating and so glad i found out about this while she is still a baby! she has went about 3 months without BF. she is now 5 months old. i am very determined to get her to BF again. just here looking for support and knowing that im not alone if this very frustrating but happy journey!

DS (2006)toddler boy DD (2008)toddler girlDD (2010)baby girl         Married to hubby since Dec. 2006.in love

by on Aug. 8, 2010 at 2:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
maggiemom2000
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM

I am currently breastfeeding my adopted baby. I relactated for her after not breastfeeding for 6 years! I have tried and done just about everything, and all of the effort was well worth it!

Let me know how you are doing or if you have any specific questions (I think I probably responded to you in another group too).

Daynaof3
by Group Owner on Aug. 8, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Welcome to the group, check out the resources for the group too. I hope you find lots of support and encouragement here!

maggiemom2000
by Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 8:02 PM

Here is a very short summary of what we did:

I had no advance warning we were getting our baby girl to adopt. We had a meeting with the social worker and (we had been waiting to dopt out of foster care) went straight to the hospital from there to pick up our 17 day old 4 lb 0 oz. baby girl.

As soon as we got home with baby I rented a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) and pumped.She was a premiee with a weak suck so I pumped for about a month until she was nursing well at the breast. It took about a week to start seeing milk.

I also ordered and took Domperidone

Domperidone, Getting Started

Once she could nurse at the breast and get the formula from an at breast supplementer I eliminated all bottles and she got all of her formula feedings at the breast with the Lact-Aid

I also slept with her in bed with me and encouraged comfort nursing during the night.

Whenever I could I would take a "nursing vacation" and watch dvds all day with her on my chest getting her to nurse as much as possible.

By 5 months old she was only needing about 4-8 ounces of formula in the late afternoon/evening. After she started solids at 6 months I was able to eliminate all formula. She is now 13 mo and still breastfeeding!

luvbeinamommy68
by New Member on Aug. 8, 2010 at 11:58 PM

Quoting maggiemom2000:

Here is a very short summary of what we did:

I had no advance warning we were getting our baby girl to adopt. We had a meeting with the social worker and (we had been waiting to dopt out of foster care) went straight to the hospital from there to pick up our 17 day old 4 lb 0 oz. baby girl.

As soon as we got home with baby I rented a hospital grade pump (Medela Symphony) and pumped.She was a premiee with a weak suck so I pumped for about a month until she was nursing well at the breast. It took about a week to start seeing milk.

I also ordered and took Domperidone

Domperidone, Getting Started

Once she could nurse at the breast and get the formula from an at breast supplementer I eliminated all bottles and she got all of her formula feedings at the breast with the Lact-Aid

I also slept with her in bed with me and encouraged comfort nursing during the night.

Whenever I could I would take a "nursing vacation" and watch dvds all day with her on my chest getting her to nurse as much as possible.

By 5 months old she was only needing about 4-8 ounces of formula in the late afternoon/evening. After she started solids at 6 months I was able to eliminate all formula. She is now 13 mo and still breastfeeding!

that is great! :) i am going to see how the combition of pumping, feugreek, oatmeal and tons of water work out. im kinda iffy ordering meds online you know? but if it comes down to it i will! im also picking up a few things tomorrow to make my own lact-aid things with a syrunge and tubing. i LOVE the idea of a breastfeeding vacation! i could only do it on a monday or tues. since hubby has those days off. relaxing all day not having to worry about the older kidos and just spending time with my baby girl nursing sounds wonderful! even if it will be stressful it will still be wonderful!

DS (2006)toddler boy DD (2008)toddler girlDD (2010)baby girl         Married to hubby since Dec. 2006.in love

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN