Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Attempting to relactate...SNS questions...

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:22 AM
  • 3 Replies
  • 539 Total Views

Hi I don't believe I have introduced myself. My name is Catie and I have a cute little 6 month old daughter. She is something else!

I bf her up to 4 months old. Due to being a military wife it was hard to do a move alone, pack alone, and unpack alone with a baby and dog. Hubby is in Iraq and I had to move back to my parents. Thus the stopping of bfing at 4 months.

She is 6 months old now and I am trying to relactate. I have been doing the herbs, tea, pumping, stimmulation, and attempting to get her to go to the breast but she doesn't want to, only because she knows that she is getting close to noting out.

I can express a few good drops manually. So I think we are getting there. I have a Medela pump but I am also looking into a SNS.

I have researched it and I want to get one but I have a few questions.

Have any of you ladies used a SNS? If so did it work well? did you have success with latching and production flow?

I don't have a letdown anymore and I hope that will change soon.

So far day 3 and going strong!

Thank You Ladies!

by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 9:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Daynaof3
by Group Owner on Jul. 23, 2009 at 6:35 PM

Quoting treswifey8607:

Hi I don't believe I have introduced myself. My name is Catie and I have a cute little 6 month old daughter. She is something else!

I bf her up to 4 months old. Due to being a military wife it was hard to do a move alone, pack alone, and unpack alone with a baby and dog. Hubby is in Iraq and I had to move back to my parents. Thus the stopping of bfing at 4 months.

She is 6 months old now and I am trying to relactate. I have been doing the herbs, tea, pumping, stimmulation, and attempting to get her to go to the breast but she doesn't want to, only because she knows that she is getting close to noting out.

I can express a few good drops manually. So I think we are getting there. I have a Medela pump but I am also looking into a SNS.

I have researched it and I want to get one but I have a few questions.

Have any of you ladies used a SNS? If so did it work well? did you have success with latching and production flow? Many moms have said that the lact-aid SNS is easier to use and works better than the medela SNS.

I don't have a letdown anymore and I hope that will change soon.

So far day 3 and going strong!

Thank You Ladies!

What herbs are you taking and what doses? How often are you pumping and for how long? Have you tried getting her to breast when she is sleepy and dimming the lights? You can also try offering one ounce in a bottle first and then offering the breast. Use a warm compress before you nurse and massage your breast while you nurse to help make sure she gets as much as possible. Keep up the great work!

treswifey8607
by on Jul. 23, 2009 at 10:31 PM

I have tried it all! LOL!!! I even dropped a little formula on my nipples and she still turns her head and cries.

I have done the co-sleeping and she would sunggle up to me and wake a little and I would offer her the breast and she would cry and turn the opposite way. I think the SNS would help her a lot. She will be getting fed and i will be getting stimulation.

I am pumping every 3 hours for 10 minutes. Taking Fenugreek & mothers milk tea. I am eating lots of oats and drinking tions of water and doing breast massage and nipple stimmulation. I feel like I am starting to produce more and my milk is SLOWLY comming in. I am even starting to produce colostrum on the left breast which is COMPLETLELY dried up. So I think there is a pick up. I am starting to become sore (my breasts) and my nipples are just screaming but I am breathing through it and starting to feel relaxed and happy behind the pump? I guess it is oxytocin. DOn't know but hay, lol...

Daynaof3
by Group Owner on Jul. 24, 2009 at 4:40 PM

You could also try taking her in the bath with you and trying in there. It's called rebirthing. The SNS will definitely help. It can be a slow process, but if you keep up the great work you will see more and more results everday. Most women take the same amount of time to build up supply as the amount of time since they last breastfed. So if it takes you awhile don't get discouraged. Kellymom has a list of herbal galactagogues, doses and side effects. Here's a link for you: http://www.home.kellymom.net/herbal/milksupply/herbal-rem_n.html

I have heard goat's rue works really well.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)