Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Intoducing myself and situation

Posted by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:17 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 253 Total Views

well, I don't have the energy this go around. I tried to post a second ago and couldn't so all my stuff was erased. I'll try though.  My name is Stefanie, mother of 3. I am trying to relactate and would love to know what I should do. I plan on getting the fenugreek pills (from GNC), a starter SNS thing (from Lullabylane) and also some  More Milk Plus Vegetarian Capsules (from Motherlove) when hubby gets paid friday. It's been 2 months since I last BF my son and I still leak a little (was told this was a good sign). I stopped BF my son at 2 weeks from no sleep, cracked nipples and being pretty much the only one to take care of our  3  1/2 yr old son and 2 yr old daughter. I did put my son to my breast saturday nite and he latched on as if we had never stopped. I smiled at him and he smiled back. I have been putting him to the breast 3-4 times a day since. I know this is not enough and hope the SNS will help out greatly when I do get it. By the end of saturday night I was surprised that my son wanted ME, not the bottle or pacy, but me.   Hubby is the only one that works and I know he needs his sleep. I asked him about doing this as I did at the 2 week one and he said he would support me in whatever I decide. Except he also threw in that I needed to make up my mind and doesn't think I should because it would be too hard on me. Not the full support I was hoping for. Anyway I'll take any suggestions and would love for support. Thank you. I'll also throw in I cried when I stopped BF and still cry when I think of it.

by on Aug. 25, 2009 at 8:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
Daynaof3
by Group Owner on Aug. 25, 2009 at 9:03 PM

Quoting Dianebrooke:

well, I don't have the energy this go around. I tried to post a second ago and couldn't so all my stuff was erased. I'll try though.  My name is Stefanie, mother of 3. I am trying to relactate and would love to know what I should do. I plan on getting the fenugreek pills (from GNC), a starter SNS thing (from Lullabylane) and also some  More Milk Plus Vegetarian Capsules (from Motherlove) when hubby gets paid friday. Sounds like a good start! In the left hand column of the group in the links tab there's a link on relactation from kellymom that has a guide to relactating. It's been 2 months since I last BF my son and I still leak a little (was told this was a good sign). I stopped BF my son at 2 weeks from no sleep, cracked nipples and being pretty much the only one to take care of our  3  1/2 yr old son and 2 yr old daughter. I did put my son to my breast saturday nite and he latched on as if we had never stopped. I smiled at him and he smiled back. I have been putting him to the breast 3-4 times a day since. This is GREAT news! You already have an advantage toward relactating. I know this is not enough and hope the SNS will help out greatly when I do get it. It will you can give all supplements at the breast and stimulate your supply as well. By the end of saturday night I was surprised that my son wanted ME, not the bottle or pacy, but me. More GREAT news! That's awesome!   Hubby is the only one that works and I know he needs his sleep. I asked him about doing this as I did at the 2 week one and he said he would support me in whatever I decide. Except he also threw in that I needed to make up my mind and doesn't think I should because it would be too hard on me. Not the full support I was hoping for. Anyway I'll take any suggestions and would love for support. Thank you. I'll also throw in I cried when I stopped BF and still cry when I think of it. Think not of the past only the future, you have control over the future!

You have made up your mind, you want to relactate and it's obviously important to you. With all the things you said above that you have going for you, you are off and running! It may take some time but you will see improvement gradually, or maybe quickly given the fact your baby will take the breast. You have my support and encouragement! Congrats on your decision to relactate! =D

luvbeinamommy68
by New Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 12:12 AM

im in the process of relacting too. how funny is that! i have a 3 1.2 yr old son and a DD who just turned 2! i stopped BF at 2 1.2 months cause of surgery and complactions after it. she has taken to me about 3-4 times already but not for very long. i am taking the fenugreek also and its so funny cause i deft. smell like maple syrup lol! here to hoping we both can get our LO's on quickly!! looks like your doing great so far!

maggiemom2000
by Member on Aug. 9, 2010 at 2:45 PM

Sounds like you are off to a good start! That is great that baby is willing and eager to latch and suck! Just encourage it as much as possible.

I see that you mentioned getting the starter SNS. Keep in mind that it is designed for short term use, 24 hours only. It is definitely the hardest one to use.

When you are realactating, the easiest way to bring in your supply (in my experience) is to eliminate bottles and do all of the feedings at the breast. Especially when you have other children. (I was homeschooling my two older boys when re-lactating for an adopted baby.)

If baby is nursing at the breast a good 8 times a day (or more!) then you really don't need to take the time and hassle to pump.

• I have used the Medela Starter SNS (A disposable system ideal for short-term (24-hour) supplemental feedings at the breast),

• the Medela SNS

the Lact-Aid

For multiple feedings a day and long term use I defintely choose the Lact Aid! You can prepare a bunch of bags of milk in advance (it really heps to have several assemblies as well, a bit of an investment but cheap when you look at the formula you won't buy becuase you brought milk in!).

• I started by getting the Lact Aid starter set with 2 Nursing Trainer Systems

• After trying that out I ended up getting the 4 pack of Additional Lact-Aid® Trainers

• That way I could have 6 feeding bags and tubes ready in the fridge at a time. I would do the first few feedings in the morning w/o one and then have the 6 to get me through the rest of the 24 hours.

• Another tip  I learned was to use it cold, out of the fridge. This way you can feel when baby is getting a good flow (you can feel the cold formula coming out onto your nipple. When it is warm you can't feel it)

• I found the SNS to be cumbersome and often leaked.

• I hope this helps!!!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)