Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Yeah, my SS qualifies as making me crazy!

Posted by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 2:55 AM
  • 4 Replies
  • 298 Total Views
8 yr old SS has ADHD and possibly ODD.  He's defiant, disruptive and so many other things.  He's the last to fall asleep and says he hates the idea of sleeping.

He recently decided to play with a lighter and purposely burn himself, not once, but twice on his leg with a qtip he hit on fire.  Yeah, then he lies to the school and counselor calls the cops on us.  Yeah, he drives me crazy enough to consider leaving this zoo for a place of my own. 
by on Apr. 26, 2008 at 2:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
gacgbaker
by Group Admin on Apr. 27, 2008 at 3:53 PM
chocolateroses
by Group Owner on May. 1, 2008 at 3:06 PM
My son, who is 24, was ADHD.  Parenting with the kids is a challenge.  He hated sleep, also.

Try having him take quiet time 30 or more minutes before bedtime.  Absolutely no video or computer games.  You might eliminate TV at the time, also.  The light wakes up the brain keeping the body awake.

The best advice I had when my son was 5, and this is for all children; children need to earn things like TV, video games, etc.  They are privileges--not rights.  Set up a system to where they can earn these privilages that is positive.  These kids thrive on love from the women in their lives and the consistent structure which dads can give. 

We weren't always successful, and it takes a lot of time and energy.  But, in the long run it all pays off.  My son is a great daddy and has a thriving personal training business where all of his clients love him. 

Also, try sports to burn off that excess energy.  Game rules give them structure, also.

Hope this helps.
----- Visit my CafeMom homepage at http://www.cafemom.com/home/chocolateroses
Baps
by on May. 7, 2008 at 1:31 PM
I am sorry you have to go through this as well. Chocalate rose has some good ideas. I hope some of them have helped you and the family.
How are things now?
stressedwolf
by on May. 7, 2008 at 3:20 PM
SS is still driving me nuts.  In fact, he's home today, suspended, due to fighting in school.  I just wish there was a quick answer, but with mental issues, it takes time to resolve.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)