Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Breakthroughs"

Posted by on Mar. 3, 2008 at 4:33 PM
  • 23 Replies
  • 1003 Total Views
                     THIS IS THE PLACE

to

Post quotes or book pages that really hit home and helped you to break through to the other side, helped you see the light, or just plain rocked your world.

A special thanks to Lisa O. for recommending this.  Lisa, you are great!!!
by on Mar. 3, 2008 at 4:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MamatoaRose
by on Mar. 4, 2008 at 1:07 AM
Chapter One: Page 17

"...the more you make your thoughts (beliefs) into your identity, the more cut off you are from the spiritual dimension within yourself."

None of you know this, but I am a former HS Religion teacher. And every time someone asked me what I do or what I did and I told them-they would automatically prejudge me and give me this look of horror almost.

After tonights first lecture and reading Chapter One, I honestly feel reafirrmed in what I was teaching and how I view spiriutality etc. I was the only one in my dept that taught the way I did. I basically told my girls I dont know everything, they should ask lots of questions, that their spiritual journey is a personal and individual one, that no religion is the only right religion, that Jesus (as many other before and after him) came to us to teach us how to live and love and to be, that they should be open to others and respect other beliefs, and just so much more.

I taught for seven wonderful years. My last year I felt so emotionally and spiritually drained. As many of you know kids if you let them, can take and take and take-well I left my teaching position with the feeling as though I did nothing and that what I did was worthless. But now I feel as though I am  on my way to embracing the fact that I taught my kids things that they may not get now but perhaps later and that I taught from my soul. I shared with them my spirit and gave my love to them all (I still have contact with them via email). I tried my best to show them another way of celebrating their faith and hope now that I did help them open their eyes to a deeper connection with themselves and their God.
michaelsmom777
by Member on Mar. 5, 2008 at 6:54 PM
Aww. Shucks. Thanks! =D

I had posted this elsewhere - but thought I'd put it here for organizational sake:
CHAPTER THREE AH HA:

I just totallly cried with tears of joy and relief (yet again- it's not been the first time while reading this book). Three things...

First my all time favoritest quote from this chapter is, "One can go so far as to say that on this planet, "normal" equals insane." -p 73. I just have to say to Eckhart Tolle right now, "THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU for saying this!". All my life I have felt that there is this bizzare something going on and feeling that I must be nuts to think that EVERYONE is nuts. I've opposed "normality" because of this and elected myself as "crazy" (turns out I'm just as "normal" as everyone else though) I've never known what it was and this book is putting it all together for me in a NUT shell (ah that pun came all to easy). lol.

Second...Page 77 OMG. DO you WANT PEACE OR DRAMA?!?!?!
I am going to copy this page and put it everywhere. I will refer to this page whenever I start to feel angry, defensive or fearful. It's a check list that brings awareness just by reading it. WOW. Okay Eckhart- what planet are you from? Cuz this is definately out of this world.

Thirdly... (last but not least)

When I read this, "All that is required to become free of the ego is to be aware of it, since awareness and ego are incompatible. Awareness is the power that is concealed within the present moment."

In so many other self help groups you hear, "Awareness is half the battle!". But that's not even true.

Awareness is Everything!!!!

You mean that's all I have to do?!?!?! OMG! (((((tears again)))))

I am so relieved at the simplicity of it all! My whole body is just in relief.

I know that when I'm in IT (unconciousness), it's not alwasy easy to become aware, but at least it's really that simple!

And actually, awareness has been coming much easier than it ever has since this book appeared on the scene in my life. Woo Hoo!

Love Always,

Lisa O. 

MamatoaRose
by on Mar. 8, 2008 at 11:48 PM
I agreeLisa with the Peace or Drama? question-I myself faced it some years ago when I noticed that all my friends around me were miserable and always had so much drama around them. That brought me misery and unhappiness and little by little I weeded through those "friends". Now If some is carrying drama around them to me I let them know upfront where I stand about it, if that cant keep it out of our friendship then I really cant be as good of friends as I would like with them. Bc as they say misery loves company!
profoundlove
by on Mar. 10, 2008 at 12:23 PM
Pages 104-106
Recongizing your child.

Reading this segment confirmed what I knew as a child, and what I feel as a parent.
These pages validated the connection I feel, that when I have tried to explain to others, I am argued with. Many people believe that we have to think in ways that make us feel superior to our children. That has never resonated with me, not as a child to a parent, and not as a parent to children.
It felt fantastic to read these pages..I breathed a sigh of relief...I'm not crazy.lol
Bells1158
by Group Owner on Mar. 11, 2008 at 10:38 AM

Quoting profoundlove:

Pages 104-106
Recongizing your child.

Reading this segment confirmed what I knew as a child, and what I feel as a parent.
These pages validated the connection I feel, that when I have tried to explain to others, I am argued with. Many people believe that we have to think in ways that make us feel superior to our children. That has never resonated with me, not as a child to a parent, and not as a parent to children.
It felt fantastic to read these pages..I breathed a sigh of relief...I'm not crazy.lol

When Tolle talked about this, I became so excited.  My brother often talks about the fact that we should allow our children to grow and explore on their own (with their creative energies and with a free mind) and we should be there to help guide them in the event that they need our assistance.

I believe that it is so important to allow our children to grow and not cut them off with all of our personal garbage.  My daughter was just singing while the webcast was on.  I wanted her to quiet down but after listening to Tolle, there was no way I could cut her off.  I needed to allow her to express herself.

I plan to develp this practice more.  I will listen to the webcast again to make sure that I got all I could from it.
conjuredUp
by on Mar. 20, 2008 at 9:41 AM
I had a MASSIVE breakthrough last night.

My entire life I've had an issue with money. I watched my parent scream and fight over the (less than abundant) cash my dad brought home and my mom spent. She used money as a means to get back at him for his philandering. So to me money has ALWAYS equalled misery.

I started working when I was 13. My dad was only coming home once maybe twice a week (I now know it was because he was with his OTHER family) and tossing my mom some money. She smoked like a chimney, so more often than not I was paying for her cigs with my baby sitting and ceramic instructor's income. NOT fun.

I left home and joined the Navy at 19. Never learned how to save money. Had no idea that bills were actually supposed to get PAID. Had no concept how to "live within my means."

Anyway... I've been a work-at-home mom since Vali was born. I do data entry for a marketing firm. Just enough money a month so I don't have to ASK my DH for money to buy him a gift.

We are NOT good at saving. We have NOTHING in savings.

Up until October of last year all of our credit cards were maxed (we can't use them but they are getting paid off) and we were living pay check to pay check despite his big-ish income. I joined a credit counselling service in October. We couldn't pay ALL the cards. We just kept opening MORE and MORE cards. Trying to fill the holes inside of us with STUFF. Trying to compete with the other parents in our son's Montessori school (another 1K per month for tuition!).

We submitted 50K worth of credit card debt to the program. (Yikes...this is embarrassing AND cleansing, so thanks for sticking with me if you are still here!)

Anytime we had an issue to talk about money over we wind up getting so mad at each other that we don't talk for a while. My man has issues with money from his ex wife. It was just NEVER good.

We always got mean. Because I immediately reverted to the scared little kid and I'd get SOOO defensive. My ego demanded that I SPEND. To fill myself up.

Yeah.... so... we are still totally strapped for cash.

Bert text'd me yesterday to ask me about a bill we have and my ego tried so diligently to get me to go to the BAD place. The whole, "How DARE he ask me how well I am managing our money." I did all I could to stay out of my ego and prevent myself from falling into my money pain-body.  I even sent him a text back and asked if he wouldn't pounce on me when he got home (as he is wont to do - it is ALWAYS my fault) because I was trying so hard to stay objective.

Which I'd have NEVER done if not for reading this book. My ego? The voice inside me that CARES what he thinks of my money skills? That voice is NOT me! I know that now.

Bert hasn't read the book yet but he has been watching the classes with me. So he's been working on staying in the NOW.

Last night? As we sat around the table and discussed all the money we don't have to feed our Easter guests, pay the bills that are late and cover my travel to meet one of our fellow love buddies (sorry again, K!) at a children's museum we both somehow managed to stay PRESENT.

We discussed the whole thing from a place of detachment!
There was no EGO for either of us!
We were listening and present to each other.
We were NICE to each other.

It was so new... so intense that I just started crying those hot and full tears of recognition. Like all the years of hurt and pain and anger associated with money were eeking out through my tears.

I felt so damn much lighter. I even asked him this morning if it was a dream. That may have been the barrier. May have been the blocker to abundance that I know is there. Man! NOW is so amazing.

If you guys aren't reading this book? I have to tell you that you should try. I thought I was enlightened before. I was so very wrong.

This book is life ALTERING. In the best possible way.

Thanks for reading this far! I love you!
TessLouise
by on Mar. 20, 2008 at 2:44 PM

Quoting conjuredUp:

I had a MASSIVE breakthrough last night.

My entire life I've had an issue with money. I watched my parent scream and fight over the (less than abundant) cash my dad brought home and my mom spent. She used money as a means to get back at him for his philandering. So to me money has ALWAYS equalled misery.

I started working when I was 13. My dad was only coming home once maybe twice a week (I now know it was because he was with his OTHER family) and tossing my mom some money. She smoked like a chimney, so more often than not I was paying for her cigs with my baby sitting and ceramic instructor's income. NOT fun.

I left home and joined the Navy at 19. Never learned how to save money. Had no idea that bills were actually supposed to get PAID. Had no concept how to "live within my means."

Anyway... I've been a work-at-home mom since Vali was born. I do data entry for a marketing firm. Just enough money a month so I don't have to ASK my DH for money to buy him a gift.

We are NOT good at saving. We have NOTHING in savings.

Up until October of last year all of our credit cards were maxed (we can't use them but they are getting paid off) and we were living pay check to pay check despite his big-ish income. I joined a credit counselling service in October. We couldn't pay ALL the cards. We just kept opening MORE and MORE cards. Trying to fill the holes inside of us with STUFF. Trying to compete with the other parents in our son's Montessori school (another 1K per month for tuition!).

We submitted 50K worth of credit card debt to the program. (Yikes...this is embarrassing AND cleansing, so thanks for sticking with me if you are still here!)

Anytime we had an issue to talk about money over we wind up getting so mad at each other that we don't talk for a while. My man has issues with money from his ex wife. It was just NEVER good.

We always got mean. Because I immediately reverted to the scared little kid and I'd get SOOO defensive. My ego demanded that I SPEND. To fill myself up.

Yeah.... so... we are still totally strapped for cash.

Bert text'd me yesterday to ask me about a bill we have and my ego tried so diligently to get me to go to the BAD place. The whole, "How DARE he ask me how well I am managing our money." I did all I could to stay out of my ego and prevent myself from falling into my money pain-body.  I even sent him a text back and asked if he wouldn't pounce on me when he got home (as he is wont to do - it is ALWAYS my fault) because I was trying so hard to stay objective.

Which I'd have NEVER done if not for reading this book. My ego? The voice inside me that CARES what he thinks of my money skills? That voice is NOT me! I know that now.

Bert hasn't read the book yet but he has been watching the classes with me. So he's been working on staying in the NOW.

Last night? As we sat around the table and discussed all the money we don't have to feed our Easter guests, pay the bills that are late and cover my travel to meet one of our fellow love buddies (sorry again, K!) at a children's museum we both somehow managed to stay PRESENT.

We discussed the whole thing from a place of detachment!
There was no EGO for either of us!
We were listening and present to each other.
We were NICE to each other.

It was so new... so intense that I just started crying those hot and full tears of recognition. Like all the years of hurt and pain and anger associated with money were eeking out through my tears.

I felt so damn much lighter. I even asked him this morning if it was a dream. That may have been the barrier. May have been the blocker to abundance that I know is there. Man! NOW is so amazing.

If you guys aren't reading this book? I have to tell you that you should try. I thought I was enlightened before. I was so very wrong.

This book is life ALTERING. In the best possible way.

Thanks for reading this far! I love you!
C, I loved reading this post from you and I am so happy this is taking place for you.  It is awesome that the two of you sat and discussed and didn't let the voices in your heads take over the conversation. 

And I do understand what you are saying.  With me it isn't about money but just attitudes I take on with my husband.  Having one today . . . lol . . . but the cool thing is I have teetered on the irritation I can feel and then back into a happy blissful filling.  Trust me usually in these situations I fall straight into irritation.  ;-)  It is awesome, I feel something new inside that I can't even put into words.  I can feel myself letting go of a lot of old things . . . like the things you mentioned with your parents which creates messages that play over and over in our heads.

And of course I love you more.  ;-)

michaelsmom777
by Member on Mar. 23, 2008 at 3:58 AM
Wow.  Your soul is beautiful.  Thanks for sharing this.  How utterly amazing is it to shed these things we've held on to for so long? This is so amazing a breakthrough.  Amazing really isn't the word I really wanted- it would be more of a cross between feeling 'captivated and moved by what transpired here', and, 'set into taking my own inventory'.

Awareness is rocking my world right now too. I feel you! I wish for that conversation you had with your dh. The closeness, the love that comes of that- so beautiful. To bridge yourselves in the subject of money is so big! I've yet to accomplish this- but what you've shared is ringing my bells. Thank you for putting this out here so I too can examine that area of my life.

I love you so much.

Healing in Leaps and Bounds!

Love Always,

Lisa O.

conjuredUp
by on Mar. 24, 2008 at 10:23 AM

Quoting PsychicCrayon:

Hey, love bunny! Remember that $1,000 dollars we both manifested back in December? Want to try for $10,000 by the end of this month?

You know that the Universe can bring $10,000 just as easily as a $1,000 so... let's do it. We both know that we are perfectly capable of drawing that money to us... without even lifting a finger. No need to worry... just ask and it is yours. Remember? Yes?

Now that you have resolved your core issue with abundance, this should be a piece of cake!

I love you!

10 K by the end of March?
I AM IN.

10 THOUSAND dollars. 

Maybe this sound will help... it is annoying at first but it becomes SOOO addictive.  Thanks Debi (pinkangelpa) for this link!

profoundlove
by on Mar. 24, 2008 at 12:05 PM
Breakthrough? Perhaps.
I'm going to try & articulate into words that will give clear understanding. I know Claudia will get it, as I have communicated with her about this very thing, prior to the breakthrough, when I was just on the verge.

For about the past 15 years, I have recognized that I don't care as much as I used to. Sounds cold, and I often gave into the idea that I was cold because of this truth, but this book has confirmed that A) I'm not nuts, and B) this "not caring" is the freedom I thought it to be, and my attachment to what others thought was the only thing that kept me acting as if I did care, to appease the public's programmed attachment to a reaction filled with emotion.
An act.
I had a friend named Mike. He studied Vernon Howard's writings & became immersed in detachment as a result. He turned me on to VH in 94. I was drawn to Mikes ability to detach, because I could identify, but I also saw that Mike was an outcast in our peer group, and that part of detachment was what scared me. When asked what he was up to, his response would be, " Oh, I'm just watching a thought become a word."  He was constantly at peace. He could care less about what others thought of him, and as much as I wanted that, I was still caught up in my youth and the attachments that came along with it.
Years passed, and I found myself caring less & less..about little things, and big things..
My mother would call with bad news, and I would feel nothing.Then, I would guilt myself for not feeling anything.
Never realizing I was programmed to think I needed to sympathize, empathize, etc...that being an actress was a requirement in the human race.
I wondered if others felt the sociopath feelings that I did.
Because you know, society has a label for everything...and it was becoming clear to me that my lack of emotion was leaning toward sociopath behavior.
Although, I never felt as if I had no conscience.
Just no attachment to stimuli, like most of society had.
And when i would feel intensely, I was aware that I was attached to illusion, and that was always so weird to me..a stain on my brain, a programemed thought, causing me to feel, when I know that it's not even real.
I wanted to be like Mike, I knew he was on to something..but I feared the rejection of my peers & family.
A New Earth, has reminded me that the need for acceptance & the rejection are both illusion too. Ego food.
A New Earth has confirmed once again, that it's ego that reacts, labels, attaches & feels, and it's my being that exists & harmonizes.

Having this validated has enabled me to have even deeper conversations with my husband, have more patience with my children, and it has freed me from the idea that my mom & dad will stop loving me if they know I don't believe in their God.
I was still attached to the fear of their (parents) opinion of me. I think most people are very intricately attached to the opinions their parents have of them..
I have felt a sense of guilt and fear for years, because I am no longer attached to the things they are, and thought that the result of that could lead to some kind of punishment, or love loss.
The only punishment was the guilt & fear that I chose, because I chose to not believe. I exchanged one set of illusionary beliefs for another, still ego.
Now?
I just love them, and no longer feel that inkling of desire for their approval, that turns me into an actress in their company.
Nor do I feel it necessary to make them understand why I just don't care.
I observe, I detach, and I love.
Freedom.

It was as if I had opened the cage door years ago, but remained in the cage, or at least one wing in, one wing out, until I read this book.
Flight is EVERYTHING I thought it would be.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN