Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A friend found this earlier and I am really floored.

I grew up in a Roman Catholic home so I wasn't exposed to any other side of Christianity. Are there really Christians out there that believe this???

Sorry it is negative, and it is TOTALLY activating a pain body, but like Tolley said last night...sometimes it needs to be done.

by on Apr. 1, 2008 at 2:31 PM
Replies (11-13):
KatR
by Member on Apr. 4, 2008 at 12:01 AM
I have a friend who put this video up as a journal post.  Somehow she interpreted it as "Oprah believes there is no God."  Which I am not certain how that comes out of the video.  Nonetheless, it disturbed me.  I am OK with myself as far as what I know to be true.  What goes through my head just an hour after watching the video is how can I argue against it without giving the negativity more power?  I basically told my friend that it seems to be a misinterpretation of the entire class.  I did add that I can understand how she feels that way and that I hope she might be able to look a little further into it and come to a different conclusion, but if she doesn't...she and I can agree to disagree.  Has anyone else encountered this, where someone is attacking the entire concept?  (I also added that the "mass trance" was very much like a moment of silence for someone who has died or a congregational prayer in church.  That it is merely a way to quiet the clutter of the day from our minds.  I was trying to put it into terms that she would be more open to hearing)  I don't want to talk about it further with her because it left me feeling bad.  I am not trying to change her beliefs, but maybe to not be so darned defensive about the whole thing. 

*DEEP BREATH*

Stardust2040
by New Member on Apr. 4, 2008 at 11:27 AM
yes, there are christians out there just like that. I find it quite sad really.  I gre up Catholic too and never experienced this until I moved to the south...but wow...they are very puritanical and very extremist.  I find it ironic that the original Protestant settlers came to America in search of religous freedom and yet theya are the most rigid and unforgiving of them all...to this day.

IPeople like this are sad.  I guess they just aren't ready.
insangel
by on Jul. 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM

I especially like the very end:  "Christians, open your eyes, turn off the TV and pray."  In other words, "Open your eyes (to what we tell you), turn off the TV (don't listen to anyone else)...and pray."

As a mother, that doesn't sit well.  I'm not making my kids into little versions of me.  I want them exposed to the world and to come away with their own beliefs based on what feels right for them.

You're right to be alarmed at that video.  I had to work to seperate myself from it--to not let it get to me.  I'm glad I'm more open-minded and secure than the people who made that video.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)