Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Good Question...

Posted by on Apr. 17, 2008 at 11:40 AM
  • 7 Replies
  • 311 Total Views
Is having an opinion ego-based? I would think so because you would always start an opinion with "I" this or "I" that...right? Or am I taking this too far...also when you have an opinion aren't you kind of expressing that what you believe is more important than another's opinion?

Same as debates...right? Unless you are only telling truth and not taking it personally?

This kept me up for a while last night
by on Apr. 17, 2008 at 11:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
profoundlove
by on Apr. 17, 2008 at 12:59 PM
Opinion is a box.
Unless it's left open.
It seems that opinions are egoic, in that they stem from a person thinking they know something, when everything changes, constantly..
Vibration, is never solidified, or standing still.
That is where truth is, and seemingly only experienced, but never known.
Soul knows this and is content, and ego tries to stamp it with labels & opinions, as something known.

Mind is where opinions are formed.
Mind is ego.
bianchi01
by Member on Apr. 17, 2008 at 9:11 PM

Quoting profoundlove:

Opinion is a box.
Unless it's left open.
It seems that opinions are egoic, in that they stem from a person thinking they know something, when everything changes, constantly..
Vibration, is never solidified, or standing still.
That is where truth is, and seemingly only experienced, but never known.
Soul knows this and is content, and ego tries to stamp it with labels & opinions, as something known.

Mind is where opinions are formed.
Mind is ego.
Great answer! I love reading all of your replies, you always give good answers and thoughts about things...
Stressfreemom
by New Member on Apr. 18, 2008 at 10:17 PM
Having an opinion is your truth. When you want someone to say that you are right....that's ego.
Karen
mema2007
by New Member on Apr. 19, 2008 at 5:32 PM
I have to agree with Karen on opinions.  When you read Eckhart Tolle's book you are just reading his opinions.  You may agree with much of what he is saying, but they are just  his opinions. This is a great book, but I think even Eckhart would agree it is not carved in stone.
Eckhart stated that having space in his living environment was more pleasant to him than living being surrounded by people.  This is an opinion.  He also stated he could live either way.  This is taking an opinion and not making it right or wrong.  We all have opinions about life.  It's whether we need to be right about our opinions where the ego gets involved.  Oprah is always saying "I" this or "I" that, she has many opinions -- she just doesn't insist that you agree with them and this is just my opinion of opinions.  I will be happy no matter how you decide you feel about it.  Be at peace.

Be Blessed,  Kathleen    

Mema R.N.

NikiLukaMom
by on Apr. 20, 2008 at 2:34 AM
I found myself thinking about this as well. I made an agreement with myself, that from now on when a subject on any matter arises, I will say "This book", "This person", "This circumstance", "This place" and whatever it is.
I've been doing this. It's really not easy. It feels as if we are so used to feeding our egos, directly or indirectly, and it's tough to let that ego go :)

KatR
by Member on Apr. 20, 2008 at 11:58 AM

Quoting Stressfreemom:

Having an opinion is your truth. When you want someone to say that you are right....that's ego.
Karen
EXACTLY! 

Be aware of why your opinion is your opinion.

But that's just my opinion!  *grin*

profoundlove
by on Apr. 20, 2008 at 6:49 PM
What about the idea that the opinion is right or wrong?
If one thinks their opinion is their truth, does that not suggest to the individuals mind that it is right, if not only for them?
If right & wrong, truth and false are taken out of the equation...all that is left is energy to be experienced, without a label to attach to it.
Everything is nothing until it is labelled. Even truth is a label, an opinion.

Experience carries with it the opportunity for the mind to desire, or not, but only when the mind (ego) enters into the experience.

Attaching an opinion to an experience allows the ego to be brought into the experience, whether others agree or disagree matters not...it remains an experience of nothingness.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)