Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Little things are amazing.

Posted by on May. 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM
  • 4 Replies
  • 355 Total Views
Last weekend I decided to take an hour to myself.  I literally shut off all the electricity in my apartment and sat down on the couch with "The Power of Now."  It was so peaceful.  I began reading.  The neighbor's dog started barking.  I really do NOT like this dog.  Not really the dog itself, but it bothers me that the neighbors leave it outside ALL the time BARKING.  I can't go anywhere in my apartment to get away from the yipping.  My first instinct is to get angry.  I decided to take a different route though.  Given that I am trying to be at peace with what is going on at this moment, I thought I should calmly see this as an opportunity instead.  First, I put a meditative cd into the computer.  I could still hear the dog.  I breathed deeply and told myself that it would pass and that I didn't have to let it ruin my alone time.  Eventually, although the dog never stopped yipping, I cared less.  I didn't let it control my emotions. 

Skip forward to today...I come home from work to see a moving van in front of my neighbor's apartment and the dog is moving!!!

Could be coincidence.  I think it's far more.  This dog has been barking almost daily for over a year.  Less than a week after I became "at peace" with it...it's gone. 

by on May. 29, 2008 at 10:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
ekv25
by Member on May. 30, 2008 at 4:30 PM
I happy for you. A lot of mental energy gets wasted being upset over something we have no control over.
KatR
by Member on May. 30, 2008 at 10:44 PM

Quoting ekv25:

I happy for you. A lot of mental energy gets wasted being upset over something we have no control over.

EXACTLY! 
Trinjo
by on Jun. 1, 2008 at 11:04 PM
Yay!  So cool, isn't it?? 

Here's a little LOA from my day today.  Bored of the water and trying to avoid soda, I told my husband twice during the day that I wanted to run to the corner gas station and get a coffee.  

Being a gorgeous day, we spent it outside working in the yard and I hadn't yet had a good opportunity to make the quick trip. 

Once or twice a month we end up chatting for a bit with the neighbors when our paths cross.  This afternoon, the gal gets home saying how she went shopping at Aldi's for the first time in years.   She soon had to get inside to get things in the fridge, but then came back out with a bottle of Vanilla Coffee (like Starbucks) for me to try, and that she doesn't normally buy those drinks.  LOL

My husband couldn't believe it - I talked with just him about wanting coffee, and here comes the friendly neighbor bringing it to me!  

Gosh, I love those little affirmations that thoughts are indeed things! 

Peace!
Trina
bianchi01
by Member on Jun. 2, 2008 at 10:53 AM
That's great...
remember what you resist persists....
...great story!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN