Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Azaleas ! OUCH !

Posted by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:16 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 3304 Total Views

Did you guys know that Azaleas will cause a rash similar to poison ivy if you trim them and that part comes in contact with your skin ?  Has anyone ever experienced this ?  

I trimmed and moved mom's azaleas a week ago Sunday, and I have been suffering since Monday with a horrible itchy, blistering rash.  I know for a fact it isn't poison ivy, there isn't any around anywhere.  After doing some research I've found out that they aren't the only plants that will cause this, so you can bet your boots that from now on my gardening will be done with me fully covered in long sleeved shirts, pants and I will even use gloves from now on !  I am now wondering if the rash I had a couple of years ago that I thought was poison ivy wasn't from the azaleas.  I looked and looked around the yard and never found any poison ivy, but if memory serves me right I was working with her azaleas then.  OUCH ! 

Just wanted to let you guys know so you don't end up suffering like I have. 

by on Jun. 9, 2009 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
crkirby
by on Jun. 10, 2009 at 7:52 PM

my grandma has had azaleas for years and when I finally decided to put some in our yard, she told me not to trim them until the winter months when they are not growing anymore, because otherwise you will run the risk of getting a rash from them.

Sooo, during the spring and summer months I just let them grow grow grow, LOL

Admin: Marriage & Relationships 

2protectivemom
by on Jun. 15, 2009 at 3:50 PM

Quoting crkirby:

my grandma has had azaleas for years and when I finally decided to put some in our yard, she told me not to trim them until the winter months when they are not growing anymore, because otherwise you will run the risk of getting a rash from them.

Sooo, during the spring and summer months I just let them grow grow grow, LOL

I wish I had known that before, I had no clue !  It has been 2 weeks now, and while the rash on my arm has finally cleared up, my legs are worse than ever !  I thought with any kind of flowering shrub you needed to trim them within a month of the flowers dying or you wouldn't get any flowers the following year.  Personally, I am NEVER touching the azaleas again !

ffxmom70
by on Nov. 9, 2009 at 9:42 PM

I've trimmed my azaleas during the spring and summer and haven't gotten a rash, but maybe the cut part never touched my skin.  I also thought if you trim them in the winter, you'll get less blooms.  I did make the mistake of trimming them one year while they were in full bloom, and I got covered in the pollen and turned into a sneezy mess.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)