Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Legislation in Oklahoma

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 156 Total Views

Hello, I'm Lisa. I'm unschooling my four year old. I live in Oklahoma and there is really no legislation governing homeschoolers. However, in February, there is a bill proposed, two actually, regarding Homeschooling. One is that Homeschoolers must register with the local school district, and be evaluated every year. The other involves truancy. That an officer can detain and question a homeschooled child.

I'm obviously concerned if these bills pass. Since we have an unschooling approach, I certainly don't need the already inadequate school systems dictating to me what my son should or should not be learning. We decided to have a more unschooling approach so that he can basically take the lead in his education.

I was wondering, if there are others who live in states with stricter legislation, how do you deal with it? Do you follow procedures or do your thing and not worry about it? My son has never been in the system, so I think that is an advantage.

Would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks! Good to be here.

by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
Kiter
by Group Owner on Jan. 21, 2009 at 2:30 PM

Don't worry about it until the laws are decided upon and finalized.

Get involed in a homeschool support group (esp that has other unschoolers)

it is illegal for them to detain and question a minor. & They need a warrant to come inside your house.

at 4 you do not have to legally send your child to school.  So this year you are fine.

I would not worry about truancy. Esp if your child has never been in their system. They are not going to go around tracking down homeschooling families.

And the Evals-- no sense worrry about them until they get that passed. They might let portfolios be one of the options and those are easy for unschoolers if you have a homeschool-friendly Portfolio Evaluater (a good number of homeschool moms have their Teacher Lisense and can do Portfolios usually)

There are a lot of states that are stricter I think. Some that require your curriclum to be approved even!

Ohio required notification and evals, but allowed portfolios.

California has no requirements but a lot of people chose to use an umrella school and that requires testing. we did not choose that option

**Kimberly**   unschooling our 3 boys (12,14,15)
Unschool Group

rock n roll

lmosley
by on Jan. 21, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Thanks...I'm not terribly worried about it yet. It wasn't passed last year, but I think part of it was because they had the registration and truancy rolled into one bill. This year, they separated them. It would take more money and resources than are worth it, so I have my fingers crossed. But, I do like to think ahead and know what my options are.

Appreciate the response!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)