Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hello ladies!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM
  • 10 Replies
  • 289 Total Views
Hey everyone,
we will be there June 15th, coming from ft Jackson.
I have 2 boys ages 1 and 2. I'm from ky just not this part.

If anyone has any advice about what to expect when we get there I'd like all the input I can get. As of right now my husband should be in 3/1. I've heard rumors of a deployment this fall, anyone have any info on that?

I'm pretty sure the wait for post housing is a mile long, any good info for off post housing? I have been checking ahrn regularly and craigslist as well. But it's hard to guess what will be a good area, what will be close enough and all that without actually seeing it.
Anyway, I look forward to getting aquainted with everyone and hopefully you all share your advice as well. Thank!

Rachel
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
peytonsmommy820
by Member on Jun. 5, 2010 at 9:43 AM
I think it is funny that I have seen many of the people in this group saying they have been here a while and not met any new friends.

I am feeling like that will be me when I get there since 7 ppl have viewed my post an not one has offered any help for someone who will be coming into the area with no idea what to expect or what to do. What good is having a group or joining a group looking for suggetion, advice and friends if no one even so much extends a welcome to you?

Thanks for all the support ladies I appreciate the warm welcome...

You probably will all think I'm bitchy for saying all that and I probably was but just like so many other army wives I have to move a million miles from where I'm at to a place I have never been and it's easier when you know what to expect.

Thanks anyway
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
amandam32
by Member on Jun. 6, 2010 at 10:19 AM
I moved to Knox in October and we lived in radcliff...I don't recommend Radcliff but we lived there because it was close to post. Over Christmas we were robbed so we moved on post to chestnut Glenn. There were a lot of openings at chestnut Glenn because they were newly renovated. Elizabethtown is the better town but the drive makes it a little hard to come home for lunch. It's safer thougH and has nicer neighborhoods. Housing was hard to deal with as usual but yo just have to get on the list assoon as you get orders and stay on them everyday. As far as schools, I don't know much but I know I tried to use the hourly day care for a dr appointment and it was impossible. No openings! Anyway, if y'all have any questions about the area message me I would love to help if I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
serenamin
by on Jun. 6, 2010 at 10:32 AM

Hey, sorry you did not get a warm welcome. I only found two dear friends in this network so I guess it was worth it. I live in Radcliff as well because it was close to ft. knox. It is not a safe neighborhood but its not that bad either if you mind your business. I been here since october. People here just have to warm up to get to know eachother, we went through some snowstorms so its been hard to meet. I am sure it is getting better now that the weather is nice. You would be fine here if you are independent and become familiar with mwr, and acs. go to this website for more information on ft. knox. http://www.knoxmwr.com/. Let me know if you need more help, okay?

lem08322
by Member on Jun. 7, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Hello! 

We moved here in February and since housing couldn't offer us anything without 6-12 months wait list, we had to move off post. We found our house through AHRN, but most of the houses we called from the list were either rented out or nobody ever called back. The better bet is to pick up local newspapers and look at their ads at the same time. The real estate agents try to sell houses more than renting out. 

We live in Radcliff now, our neighborhood isn't that bad, but I would definitely look at the house and the neighborhood first, before moving in. Radcliff is still a 15-20 minutes drive to post and unless you live on the main street, you will definitely need a second car to go grocery shopping, and keep yourself and the kids busy...

When it comes to finding friends, I haven't found this website useful. It always depends on you and how outgoing you are. If you hide inside your house, it's hard, of course (unfortunately, I found that's what a lot of people here are doing though). But if you go to the pool (there's a nice outdoor water park for kids on post) or to the playgrounds etc., I am sure you will meet people here. If not, send me a message!!

Welcome to Kentucky...

serenamin
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 11:05 AM

You are right, It does depend on how outgoing you are. People here in kentucky are very friendly. You can meet people at the churches here. they always have some community event going on, like the past hurray for heros event. there are also plenty of community events on post as well. just look in the local paper and the ft. knox mwr magazine for things to do. There is also a club there on post where people can go to meet. and there is also a playmornings where the children can play together and the parents can meet.

lem08322
by Member on Jun. 8, 2010 at 1:27 PM

The playmorning is a good place to go, you are right. I didn't think about it, because my boy is almost four and too old for playmornings. The library story hours on Tuesday (10 - 11) are nice for 2 - 5 year olds, too. But during school breaks it is usually very crowded. The calender in the MWR paper is pretty helpful when it comes to events or classes. 

JSA8914
by on Jun. 8, 2010 at 9:23 PM

hello :)

As far as 3-1 deploying, I've heard winter. My husband isn't 3-1, but I have a few neighbors whose husbands are and that is what they have said.

We lived in Elizabethtown for the first few months we were here, and I would pick that over Radcliff, personally.  The drive to post sucks, though.  We went through Mark Harris Properties for our place.  Would not recommend them. 

Hope that you have a safe move!

ourkeikis
by New Member on Jun. 14, 2010 at 8:45 PM
We just moved here 1 month ago. There is nothing avail on post or off. We were about to start looking in Louisville when a 3 bdrm came avail. We are a family of 7 so we are cramped but lucky for us we are here for 6 months. I would love to get together with other wives. If so let me know, I have a 10, 5, 3 yr daughters & 7, 1 yr sons.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Butterflytat01
by Member on Jun. 15, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Hi there I have No Helpful Info for off post because we live on post. Always looking to make new friends though!! Feel Free to give me a shout!

peytonsmommy820
by Member on Jun. 20, 2010 at 9:28 PM
Thanks everyone for those that extended their welcome and advice! I've been here two weeks almost and so far I have searched high and low for a rental, moved on to buying a house, had 3 houses for sale unable to buy them for various reasons out of my control. Had my 1 yr old catch some stomach virus thing and get dehydrated and get put in the hospital for 3 days and I'm still living in a freakin hotel! What a wild ride it's been here...lol
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)