Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Goetta recipes

Posted by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM
  • 2 Replies
  • 683 Total Views

The Great Goetta Debate.

A long list of Goetta Recipes.

THE GREAT GOETTA DEBATE

For those of you who aren't familiar with it, goetta has Germanic origins, but most people who live in Germany have never heard of it. Inge, my German daughter-in-law who was born and raised in Germany said she didn't have a clue as to what goetta was until she moved to Cincinnati. Yes, it's definitely a Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky "thing". A possibility about the name is that it comes from the German word "gote" or "gotte" which means peeled grain. The word became Americanized to mean "goetta", since the ingredient you cannot do without when making it is pinhead oats. I make my mother-in-law's recipe using pork shoulder (and I'm still perfecting the recipe to share - it's one of those "a little of this and a little of that") but have to admit, I still cannot replicate that elusive, absolutely addictive, flavor of Glier's goetta.

Rita's Side dishes for Goetta: Applesauce

This applesauce is the best side dish to serve with goetta that's sautéed with bacon; alongside sautéed potatoes (add a handful of chopped onions to the potatoes if you like). This is a complete meal in itself and makes a delicious meal no matter what the season.

5 pounds apples, washed, cored and cut into chunks, unpeeled
1/2 cup apple juice or as much water as needed
1/2 cup or more sugar (opt)
Cinnamon to taste (opt)

Spray the inside of a crock-pot. Add apples and juice. Cook on low 8-10 hours or high 4-6, or until as soft as you like. After they're cooked, I'll take a potato masher and mash them up - we like this a bit chunky. Then, if necessary, I'll add sugar to taste. Refrigerate leftovers.

Tips from Rita's Kitchen:
• Sauté Ingo the bacon and goetta: Sauté the bacon until it releases a little fat. Add goetta slices and cook until bacon is done and goetta is golden on both sides.

• Sautéing potatoes: Start the potatoes before the bacon and goetta because the potatoes take a little more time to cook. Film the bottom of a skillet with olive or canola. Add thinly sliced potatoes and some chopped onion if you like. Cook over medium heat until potatoes are cooked and golden on both sides. To hurry the process, put a lid on the skillet.

• It's all in the skin: The skin of apples along with the flesh contain anti-oxidants. Apples eaten with the skin on contain fiber and pectin. Pectin helps slow the rise in blood sugar and also helps reduce cholesterol.

• Everyone's favorite scrambled eggs: Just sauté crumbled goetta in a small amount of whatever you like to scramble your eggs in: butter, spray, etc. When the goetta is almost done, pour beaten eggs on top. Stir occasionally to blend the goetta with the eggs. Even picky egg eaters love this one and you all know eggs are good for you. Yummy!

KATHLEEN EMERSON'S CROCKPOT GOETTA

Kathleen wrote: "Growing up in a German family in Northern Kentucky, our winters wouldn't be complete without Mom making a batch or two of her wonderful goetta. For years I did it her way, buying the biggest kettle I could find and having my father-in-law whittle me a 20" wooden paddle for stirring, since I kept breaking those "store bought" spoons." She wanted to make it easier, so she modified the proportions and now cooks it in a crock-pot. "The endless stirring is gone, and my husband says this is quite delicious", Kathleen said.

Boil 1 to 2 pounds pork roast in water for 1-1/2 hours, saving the water. Cool and shred. Preheat 5 cups water total (including the saved water) and preheat it in the crock-pot. Add 2-1/2 cups pinhead oatmeal, 1 tablespoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper. Cook covered, on high for 1-1/2 hours. Add l large onion, finely chopped, the pork, 1 pound ground beef, crumbled, 1 teaspoon or 1 cube beef bouillon and 1 bay leaf. Mix and cook, covered, 5 hours on low. Stir a few times. Remove cover and cook 30 minutes more. Stir a couple of times. Spoon into 9x13 pan lined with plastic wrap. Cool and turn out onto cookie sheet if desired. Refrigerate. Slice off desired amount and fry in small amount of bacon grease.

CAROL JACKSON'S EASY GOETTA

Carol, a Northern Kentucky reader, said this recipe is an old one passed on by her former ex-mother-in-law, now deceased. It's unusual in that the recipe calls for roasted meat.

1 pound each: roasted beef and pork, ground
8 cups water
2-1/2 cups pinhead oatmeal
l large onion, ground
1 tablespoon salt
Pepper to taste

Cook everything approximately two hours or longer (until thick) on stove top, stirring frequently. (Carol didn't indicate the heat level, but I would bring it to a boil and then lower to a simmer.) Pour into greased pans to set. Refrigerate.

Slice and fry.

PATRICIA JARVIS' OLD FASHIONED GOETTA
"Goetta, Oh how I love goetta", Patricia wrote. This Erlanger resident also said hers is not
spicy and freezes well. The more oil you add to the pan, the crisper the goetta, she advised. "Use about 3 pounds pork, the cheapest you can find. Boston Butt is good. Or use half pork and half beef, if you like", she said.

3 pounds Boston Butt
8 cups water
3 cups Pinhead Oatmeal
1 large onion
3 teaspoons salt
Pinch pepper

Cook meat slowly in boiling water about 2 hours, or in pressure cooker 1 hour. Cool meat, grind and put back into same water. Add everything else. Cook on low about 2 hours. Stir often. It will get thick. Cool and pour into grease loaf pans. Put in refrigerator to set up. Slice and fry.

BETTY REISING'S BAKED LOW SODIUM/LOW FAT GOETTA

"My husband had heart surgery, so using this recipe can allow him to enjoy his goetta", she said. Betty finishes hers in the oven. Recipe can be doubled.

2 pounds or more lean pork with bone (butt portion)
8 cups water
4 bay leaves
1 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1 large onion, quartered
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2-1/2 cups pinhead oats

Bring to boil over medium heat, covered for one hour. Skim if necessary. Save broth but debone meat and grind with onion. Place back in broth and add oats. Stir and then bake in 350-degree oven using a sprayed covered roaster. Stir occasionally. Bake 1-1/2 hours or until thick. Cool and refrigerate or freeze. Fry in sprayed skillet, adding salt as desired.

MARY NELL'S GOETTA

Mix together well:
1 pound ground round beef
1 pound Bob Evans zesty pork sausage

Put in crock-pot, cover and cook on high 20 minutes:
6 cups water
1 tablespoon salt
Pinch pepper
Add and cook, covered, on high for 1-1/2 hours:
Add, and cook, covered, on low for 3 hours:
The mixed meat
-1 large onion, chopped
4 bay leaves
Uncover and if not thick enough, cook longer, stirring often. Leave lid off. Pour into greased bead pans and cool. Refrigerate. Fry until well browned. Excellent topped with syrup or for a dinner with fried potatoes with onion and applesauce.

BARBARA COX'S GOETTA

Barbara sent this in to our Cheviot office and uses onion soup mix, mustard seed and garlic powder in her goetta.

1 pound each: ground round or ground chuck and sausage
1 package onion soup mix
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon mustard seed (opt)
1 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
6 cups water
2 cups chicken broth

Put liquid in large pot, bring to a boil and add oats and rest of ingredients. Cook over low heat, stirring often. Keep covered. Pour into greased bread pans. Cool and refrigerate. Fry in skillet. To cook in the crock-pot, add 6 cups liquid and put everything in. Stir and cook for 3 hours on low, covered. Uncover if not thick enough and cook longer.

MIKE POWELL'S TURKEY GOETTA
"We love this so much I make it year 'round, at least every 3 months", Mike, who lives in White Oak, told me. "This is actually good for you because it's made with turkey instead of beef", he said.

1 pound ea. Louis Rich turkey breakfast sausage and ground turkey
8 cups cold water
6 large bay leaves
l large onion, chopped]
4 teaspoons ea. salt and pepper

Break up meat in large pot into cold water using your hands. Add onion and spices. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer for l hour. Add oatmeal and cook with lid on until mixture thickens, about l hour, stirring often. Take out bay leaves and pour into containers. Cool and refrigerate overnight. Can be frozen. Spray cooking spray in a pan and fry until both sides are dark.

JOAN CORNELIUS' GERMAN GOETTA

"My Aunt Esther Keller's recipe. I am 74 years old - she was at least 25 years older than me, so this recipe has been around a long time", Joan, a Loveland resident, wrote. Her Aunt Esther told Joan she never weighed the meat and usually adds more than the recipe calls for. She also said you could add a bit of ground cloves, too.

8 cups cold water
1 pound ea. ground beef and ground pork
2 cups pinhead oats
1 medium onion, ground with pork
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage OR two large bay leaves

Place ground meat in water, breaking up with fork while bringing it to a boil. Add rest of ingredients. Cook for l hour, stirring frequently. Goetta will be thick when done. Pour into greased loaf pans. Cool. If it's a little too soft to slice, make patties. Dip into a bit of flour and they will fry up real crisp.

SKIP BURDETTE'S GOETTA

From Marilyn Hoskins, Milford, who said Skip's family in Adams County, asks him to make goetta "every time we visit". "His secret is sage sausage. Whoops! The Secret's out", she
said. Skip is from Milford.

12 cups water
2 tablespoons salt
Dash or two pepper
5 cups pinhead oats
1 pound ea. sage sausage and ground pork
2 pounds ground chuck
3 large onions, diced
6 bay leaves
1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning (opt)

Put water in crock-pot. Add salt and pepper. Heat on high 25 minutes. Add pinhead oats and cook on high, covered, 2 hours. Brown all meat and crumble. Drain and add to crock-pot with bay leaves and onion. Stir and continue cooking on low, covered, for 3 hours, stirring occasionally. Pour into loaf pans and cool. Refrigerate or freeze. Fry as desired.

ROSALIE BARRACKMAN'S QUICK GOETTA

Rose's recipe was one of two using regular oatmeal. "Someday I want to publish a cookbook. My recipes have been published in various church cookbooks", she told me. "I use hot pork sausage to give the goetta a kick", this Sardinia resident said.

1 pound hot or regular pork sausage
3 cups cold water
3 cups chopped onions
3 cups old fashioned or quick oats
1 teaspoon red pepper
1 teaspoon salt, to taste
1 teaspoon sage
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Break up sausage in a large pot with water. Add onions. Bring to simmer and cook 10 minutes or until onions are cooked. Add seasonings. Add oats, 1 cup at a time, stirring, until
mixture is very thick. Adjust seasonings and pour into greased loaf pans. Cool and refrigerate. Slice and fry.

CATHERINE POPE'S GOETTA

Catherine, a Batavia resident, says this is from Kaye Pope's kitchen. "I use Bob Evans hot sausage", she said. Catherine's uses regular oats.

2 pounds ground beef
1 pound pork sausage
1 large onion, minced
1 teaspoon salt per pound of meat (opt but good)
1 teaspoon thyme
Enough water to cover
Rolled Oats to thicken

Combine everything but oats. Cook 45 minutes. Then add oats, enough to thicken. Cook until oats are done. Make individual patties and freeze, or pour into greased loaf pans. Fry
until crisp.

GREAT GOETTA TIPS & STORIES FROM READERS

CAROL RIEMAN'S MOM'S GOETTA
Carol, a Greenhill's resident, said this recipe has been passed down for generations. "Mom always made a big pot on either a dreary, rainy or cold snowy day and our home always smells so good on "Goetta" day, she wrote. Carol uses nutmeg in her recipe.

SHIRLEY SHEPARD'S GOETTA

We live on the Westside, and come from Scotch, Irish and English background. I send goetta to our grandson in college. Shirley uses the same recipe her mom, Mabel Curd, gave her.

MARY ANN MOENING'S GRANDMA'S GOETTA

Mary Ann, a Taylor Mill reader, soaks the pinhead oatmeal overnight to soften and make cooking time shorter. "I use boneless pork because it has very little fat", Mary Ann wrote.

BETTY SEHLHORST'S GOETTA

Betty, a Northbend reader, got her recipe from the Diet Workshop. "If I know my grandkids won't be around, I take it up a notch by adding a half teaspoon pickling spice", she said. Emeril, watch out!

MARIE BELLERSEN'S CROCKPOT GOETTA

Mariehad bypass surgery in 1992. "I make this easy recipe all the time", she said. Her recipe is a crock-pot one using ground turkey and turkey sausage.

KIM BACKER'S CROCKPOT GOETTA

I use pork shoulder roast and ground beef in my goetta, this Milford resident said.

DONNA AMANN'S GOETTA

"Marilyn Hudson gave me this years ago and we have enjoyed it many times", wrote Donna about her crock-pot recipe. Donna lives in Batavia, and she uses lean ground pork and crumbles her bay leaves so that they can be left in.

GREG BAUTE'S GOETTA WITH VARIATIONS

I love that Greg's recipe uses pork and beef roasts along with soup meat. "I
often substitute venison", he said. Greg also uses uniodized salt and said to keep oats from burning, cook in a double boiler type pan. "I spent a lot of time coming up with one that would closely taste like Glier's", he wrote. This is definitely one for Mark Balasa to look at.

MARCY BALLINGER'S TIP FOR CRISPY GOETTA

"Dip in flour and fry in small amount of oil", she wrote. Marcy also adds thyme along with sage and bay leaves to her goetta.

RAY HOGAN'S TWO WAY GOETTA

Ray faxed a recipe and his uses either ground deer or ground chuck along with sage or spicy sausage. He reduces the water to 6 instead of 8 for his crock-pot recipe.

Give One of these Goetta Recipes a Try.

©2006-2010 Rita Heikenfeld

by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
munchkinaplenty
by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 12:29 PM

I used one with sausage.. I browned the sausage with chopped onion and set aside..meanwhile having water on to boil.. when boiling added the steel cut oats and let boil for an hour.. when cool added the meat to the oats , stirred well, then poured the mixture into glass loaf pans , covered and put in the fridge over night.. then sliced thin and fried on a griddle until golden brown on both sides.. served with gravy.. mine was really simple because i didn't have many of the ingredients on hand that the recipes called for and it was still yummy.. kinda of like hashed browns with sausage.

KathrynJL
by on Nov. 2, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Thank you! I think I'm going to try it with turkey.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)