- Pie has been around almost as long as recorded history dating back to the ancient Egyptians over 4000 years ago.
- The first pies were called “coffins” and were filled with meat. The
term, which means basket or box, referred to the crust which was
generally inedible and made as a vessel to hold the ingredients during
cooking and consumption.
- The first pie recipe was found in a Roman cookbook which was for a pie filled with goat cheese and honey.
- The relationship between pies and birds comes from England in the
1400’s when most pies featured savory ingredients like bird. In order
to identify what kind of pie was inside the crust, medieval bakers will
place a cooked bird of the same type atop the finished pie.
- We can thank the first Queen Elizabeth for the fruit pies we are so
fond of today as she is credited with creating the first fruit pie,
which was filled with cherries.
- on average, we eat six slices of pie each every year
- the majority of
us prefer the 231 varieties made with apples.
on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:17 PM