Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

God's Presence in Hard Times

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM
  • 3 Replies
  • 68 Total Views

Joseph’s brothers went to tend their father’s flocks near Shechem. 13 Israel said to Joseph, “Aren’t your brothers tending the sheep near Shechem? Come, I’ll send you to them.”

And he said, “I’m ready.”

14 Jacob said to him, “Go! Find out how your brothers are and how the flock is, and report back to me.”

So Jacob sent him from the Hebron Valley. When he approached Shechem, 15 a man found him wandering in the field and asked him, “What are you looking for?”

16 Joseph said, “I’m looking for my brothers. Tell me, where are they tending the sheep?”

17 The man said, “They left here. I heard them saying, ‘Let’s go to Dothan.’” So Joseph went after his brothers and found them in Dothan.

18 They saw Joseph in the distance before he got close to them, and they plotted to kill him. 19 The brothers said to each other, “Here comes the bigdreamer. 20 Come on now, let’s kill him and throw him into one of the cisterns, and we’ll say a wild animal devoured him. Then we will see what becomes of his dreams!”

21 When Reuben heard what they said, he saved him from them, telling them, “Let’s not take his life.” 22 Reuben said to them, “Don’t spill his blood! Throw him into this desert cistern, but don’t lay a hand on him.” He intended to save Joseph from them and take him back to his father.

23 When Joseph reached his brothers, they stripped off Joseph’s long robe, 24 took him, and threw him into the cistern, an empty cistern with no water in it. 25 When they sat down to eat, they looked up and saw a caravan of Ishmaelites coming from Gilead, with camels carrying sweet resin, medicinal resin, and fragrant resin on their way down to Egypt. 26 Judah said to his brothers, “What do we gain if we kill our brother and hide his blood? 27 Come on, let’s sell him to the Ishmaelites. Let’s not harm him because he’s our brother; he’s family.” His brothers agreed. 28 When some Midianite traders passed by, they pulled Joseph up out of the cistern. They sold him to the Ishmaelites for twenty pieces of silver, and they brought Joseph to Egypt.

29 When Reuben returned to the cistern and found that Joseph wasn’t in it, he tore his clothes. 30 Then he returned to his brothers and said, “The boy’s gone! And I—where can I go now?”His brothers took Joseph’s robe, slaughtered a male goat, and dipped the robe in the blood. 32 They took the long robe, brought it to their father, and said, “We found this. See if it’s your son’s robe or not.”

33 He recognized it and said, “It’s my son’s robe! A wild animal has devoured him. Joseph must have been torn to pieces!” 34 Then Jacob tore his clothes, put a simple mourning cloth around his waist, and mourned for his son for many days. 35 All of his sons and daughters got up to comfort him, but he refused to be comforted, telling them, “I’ll go to my grave mourning for my son.” And Joseph’s father wept for him. 36 Meanwhile the Midianites had sold Joseph to the Egyptians, to Potiphar, Pharaoh’s chief officer, commander of the royal guard.
Genesis 37.12-36

There are points in life when we are hurting , the situation is clearly outside our control of relfief foe the future . At times like that what can be sure of ?

God is with us in our trouble
Our heavenly father comforts us through his Holy Spirit , because he knows each of his children intimately . He provides whatever is needed in a given situation . The Lord wants us to be mindful of his constant presence so we'll know we are never alone. And awareness of his love and strength will under gird us with a sense of security . God understands what it is like to suffer , to be rejected or to lose a loved one. He comprehends the temptations and obstacles we face. He assigned himself the task of carrying his children's burdens . ( Ps. 68.1--9 )  and offers peace for our hurting hearts. The God who walks with us can't be hindered or limited by anything , so we need not be afraid ( Matthew 19.26)

God has a purpose for allowing trails
This ids clearly seen in the story of Joseph whose brothers sold him into slavery . God however , had planned that those years would prepare the young man to become Egypt's prime minister . Joseph could not see God's purpose  and neither will we most of the time  ---- but he knew the Lord's character and trusted him. Joseph 's faith was rewarded when he was able to reuse his family . ( Gen. 45.1--8)

We are called to live a life of faith. That means we're to believe God's promises even when our circumstances confused us. When trouble surrounf you , remember what is true . God will never leave you  nor forsake you ( Heb 13.5) and his good purposes will always be carried out. ( Proverbs 19.21)

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
zboys
by balloon on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:13 PM

I just try to remember the verse "what man meant for bad, God meant for good" [not an exact quote].  I'm hoping my on-going struggles will all work out in the end.

Alieda
by Group Owner on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:29 AM

Yes Joseph is talking to his brothers and tell them not be fear him because what they meant for hurt , God meant for good.Joseph is telling his brothers if you had not sold me nito slaverty I would not now be in this postion to save my family.

zboys
by balloon on Apr. 7, 2013 at 10:02 PM

What an encouraging story!

Quoting Alieda:

Yes Joseph is talking to his brothers and tell them not be fear him because what they meant for hurt , God meant for good.Joseph is telling his brothers if you had not sold me nito slaverty I would not now be in this postion to save my family.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)