Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

To all Central Jersey Mom's & Mom's to be x

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM
  • 5 Replies
  • 203 Total Views

Hi, my name is Fay and I am new to the US from England.

I live in Summit and am 3mths pregnant with our first. I am 33 and married to a great man who brought us out here through his work.

It would be great to meet other SAHMs and learn all about other girls experiences with the St Barnabas in Livingston and the Overlook hospital as I need to choose where to give birth!

I would also like to meet people to be friends with as my husband could not afford to bring them too!

by on Feb. 21, 2009 at 10:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
klmul523
by New Member on Feb. 22, 2009 at 8:24 AM

HI im Kerri Im in Berkeley Heights and have lived in this area my whole life. I have two kids a son 7 and daughter 2. I would love to give you any feedback you need!

JulesMommy12-10
by Member on Feb. 22, 2009 at 8:33 AM

I live close by to you... I actaully have a bunch of friends that live here that are from the UK.

If you had to pick between the 2 I would go with overlook... St Barnabas Hospital is nicer but they have a 50 percent c-section rate.  I personally drove to Morristown Hospital for my birth, they have a great team of midwives there.

LFish23
by New Member on Feb. 22, 2009 at 10:57 AM

Hi, I'm Leslie.  Welcome to the area!  I'm relatively new to the area as well (have been here since September 2008), and I ended up delivering at the Overlook Hospital, so I could tell you about that.

I don't know who your OB/GYN is, but I ended up going with the Summit Medical Group people.  Overall, I think they were great - much more professional and together than my previous OB/GYN & midwife.  They were really organized, especially considering that I didn't start with them until my 34th week! 

Anyway, I don't know if you've checked out the Overlook Hospital website, but they offer a ton of parental education classes (this was my first baby, so I took the labor and delivery class, as well as the tour of the delivery ward). 

Overall, I thought the Overlook was a great place to deliver.  (Though you should keep in my that I have no point of comparison, unless you count my mom's stories of giving birth 20+ years ago in Canada.)  I ended up getting induced due to pre-eclampsia, and ultimately had an emergency C-section after I had a bad reaction to the epidural.  

Hmmm...I suppose this story could be taken as a negative experience, but it really wasn't!  All of the nurses were personable and competent.  The hospital facilities were much fancier than I'd expected.  The labor & delivery room was very comfortable - you get a private room with your own shower, and plenty of room for anyone who wants to hang around.   I ended up having a private recovery room, though I think that depends on how busy the delivery ward is when you're there.  The food wasn't bad, either, though it was pretty standard hospital food. 

I hope this helps.  I'd really recommend taking a tour of the delivery ward, at the very least - I think you can sign up via their website.  In spite of the complications during my delivery, I had a really positive experience there.    

Fayandlump
by on Feb. 22, 2009 at 5:30 PM

Thanks for that, I was really not expecting any of that! Yes I am scared of c sections as i am a size 1 frame and was worried that they would do one regardless of the necessity. I do know that in England it is very common as the doctors need to get the birth done within a time frame. And even though I am not that vain I still fancied a scar-less birth x

Thanks!!!

Kechara
by Member on Feb. 22, 2009 at 5:44 PM

St. Barnabas delivers upwards of 7,000 babies a year and also handle many High Risk births.. So I am guessing that is why their % rate on C-sections is so high....  I had all three of my children at St. Barnabas and had wonderful experiences with all three... Although with my children they did not yet offer privatized rooms, [unless you paid 300-600 dollars a night extra] As of ,I believe,  July 2008 all rooms are now privatized, they offer lamaze classes, parenting and sibiling courses etc..... I have found that as long as you are clear with your birth plan and wishes most of the doctors and nurses do their best to accommodate you { i too was a size 1 frame and also have Cerebral Palsy and was able to deliver vaginally with all three}.....Oh, and if you plan on breastfeeding they due offer to have a Lactation consultant come in to answer any questions and so forth you may have....AND they will definately keep you well fed.... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN